Author Topic: Starting / Running Problems  (Read 1103 times)

Offline tanman

• http://
Starting / Running Problems
« on: September 10, 2006, 09:13:11 PM »
hey guys, i have a question. just tonight my bug has started to have some problems starting. i can get it to start after awhile, but the method is never the same. anyway, once it gets started it will run, but if i give it gas the engine stops. sometimes it will just stop for a second and then start back up - sometimes it just stops and wont start again. so i have to give it gas VERY slowly for it to run, which sucks.
is there crap in my gas or something? im confused... ideas?
this is my first VW and im still learning! thanks
tanner
tanner

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Starting / Running Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 12:21:41 PM »
Hi Tanner,
Not DVKK but it sounds like you've got crap in your carb. If you are sure there are no hoses off or cracked and your points are set properly, take off the aircleaner and with the engine off and the choke open pump the throttle and see if you get a squirt of gas from the brass colored upside down U just below the choke plate shooting towards the throttle plate.
With the key on pull the wire off the idle solenoid on the left side of the carb just above the throttle shaft and listen for a click when you put it back, try wiggling the solenoid too.

No squirt means the carb has to come apart (carb comes off)
No click needs a new solenoid (carb stays on)
Squirt and click means crap in idle circuit, (remove solenoid and both idle screws and blow out) (carb stays on)

RUST NEVER SLEEPS