Author Topic: Gas Tank In 73 Van  (Read 2052 times)

Offline blueberry

• Gary (Blueberry)
Gas Tank In 73 Van
« on: July 20, 2007, 09:23:55 PM »
I'm thinking the gas fumes I get when I fill up and for a time after are due to a failing filler tube - the rubber part. Two questions - 1) does anybody have any other suggestions that mey explain the gas smell only when the tank has been filled and for a day or so after (until the gas level goes down a bit). 2) Is there an \"easy\" way to get into that area. I have been avoiding it as it looked ugly at first glance. There is an inspection plate on the wall in front of the engine but I can't see being able to reach anything from there? Suggestions??
Gary Endersby

Offline piercedvw

• aka Karmann Ghia
Gas Tank In 73 Van
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 09:52:52 PM »
Have you checked the gas cap gasket?

Offline Chris

• Car.
Gas Tank In 73 Van
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 10:54:48 PM »
I would agree with your diagnosis, it happened to me in my bus. I was able to change it without major issues. Its not easy but can be done.

Offline epic3

• http://
Gas Tank In 73 Van
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 09:45:35 PM »
My tank in my 78 was rotten and the only way to service it (I was told) was by removing the engine so I hope the top of your tank doesnt have issues

Offline dannyboy

Gas Tank In 73 Van
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 12:33:59 AM »
its usually the rubber filler tube as mentioned, but it can also be the rubber gasket between the tank and the sender unit aswell....also a pain in the ass to replace, usually requiring pulling the motor or cutting an access panel in the rear cargo area above the tank.

Offline vwboop

• Chris & Gina
Gas Tank In 73 Van
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 07:37:16 AM »
If it's the sender gasket careful which one you replace it with. I did one in \"the Thing\" that came with a new Mexican replacement sender and it was still new looking but cracked within a year. :(  

Offline blueberry

• Gary (Blueberry)
Gas Tank In 73 Van
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 07:08:11 PM »
Thanks for all the advice!!  I guess I really will have to do it this winter whether I want to or not. I'm loosing too many brain cells to the fumes - although since there is no longer a gas leak it really isn't too bad. Still ....  a good winter project I think.
Gary Endersby