Author Topic: Aircare Results  (Read 1675 times)

Offline captCRUNCH

• http://
Aircare Results
« on: July 27, 2006, 10:48:07 AM »
hey guys, just took the bug  thru air care and failed on the COs on both the driving and idle test. i think i just need to turn the mixture screws in a little, but if anyone see's somthing i don't then chime in. the motor is a fresh 2275, 86b, 48 dells, timing is set at 30 tottal on the 009. the motor is still very fresh so i'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

http://www.aircare.ca/index.php?inspinfo-g...get-results.php

thanks

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Aircare Results
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 12:24:40 PM »
THAT IS PLAIN PIG RICH !!!!!
what idle jets are in there?as that has a huge effect on you off idle driving co,mixture screws have a small effect at partial load.
recomend a 65 idle and start with the mixture screws at 3 1/2 turns out .then with a timing light with a rpm out put turn 1 screw in at a time and watch as soon as the rpm drops and note how much the screw was turned in , then put it back to 3 1/2 turns and do the same on all the other cylinders.then set all screws to the avg off all 4 plus 1/4 turn out that should give you a good idle co and driving co.
remember co is raw fuel and even worse on your motor being fresh is the extra fuel will wash the needed oil off of the cylinder wall which is needed during break in !!
i highly recomend as soon as you get you idle jetting corrected take it out and break in the rings using high load on decel and accel,in other wiords drive it like you stole it
most 48 dells come with a 70 idle which will give aroud 11.9-12.2 a/f ratio while cruising and that is too rich
airspeed can set you up with the jets

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline captCRUNCH

Aircare Results
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 12:47:29 PM »
i just pulled my jets and i have 162 mains and 60 idles. i set the carbs up by turning the mixture screw in till it stumbled, then back it out 1/4 turn at a time while listining for the rpm's to pick up.  once the rpm didn't pick up on the turn i would put it back in the 1/4 turn. i just came back from a drive and my battery was pretty much dead (i had to use a booster pack to get home) so needless to say i'm stepping out now to get a new battery (the one in there now hasn't been used for 2 years, and its 5 years old). i'm also running a msd 6al, so i'm wondering if  the lack of juice may have caused the msd not to fire correctly. once i hooked up the booster pack the car did seem to run better...i'm such an idiot
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 12:52:34 PM by captCRUNCH »

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Aircare Results
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 12:56:36 PM »
where did the carbs come from ?
just because they say 60 doesn't mean they are ,  almost all of the idle or main jets i buy  i buy small and ream to size as i have found many are not what they say.
if you have checked them with a jet plug gauge then you have fuel gcoomin from someplace.
what / how have you tested your fuel pressure and what about the condition of the needle and seat and float height.
you will need to be carfull but look down the carb and see if something is leaking while it is running

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline captCRUNCH

Aircare Results
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 01:12:25 PM »
i got them used from John Connoley (sp?) at aircooled.net. i'm not sure if they are his old ones or not. if they are his i would have assumed that he would have just replaced the jet insted of reaming them. i'll buy a jet plug at lordco (if they have one) and check the size. i'm using a stock fuel pump, and i have no means of checking the fuel pressure. is it common to need a fuel reg with a stock pump? i went thru the carbs before i put them on, and everything looked good. i'll make sure that nothing is spilling over from the float bowl.

Offline Bruce

Aircare Results
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 06:31:37 PM »
start with the mixture screws at 3 1/2 turns out .then with a timing light with a rpm out put turn 1 screw in at a time and watch as soon as the rpm drops and note how much the screw was turned in , then put it back to 3 1/2 turns and do the same on all the other cylinders.then set all screws to the avg off all 4 plus 1/4 turn out that should give you a good idle co and driving co.

I disagree with that method.  
If you turn the screw in and find the point just before the rpms drop for an individual cylinder, that is the A/F ratio for that cyl that you want.  By averaging the 4 out, you will have some cyls that are a tiny bit rich, and others that are a tiny bit lean.  That will give you more variation at Aircare than if you have them all at their own sweet spots.  I see no valid reason to have all the screws at the same number of turns from seated.  I would expect all the screws to be slightly different due to variations in machining of the mixture screw's tapered tip, and the seat for it.  Also, no two cylinders are going to flow exactly the same amount of air at idle, therefore the ideal mixture screw location will be slightly different for each cyl.

My recommendation is to set them all to a baseline (3 1/2 turns is ok), and turn one screw in until the rpms start to drop by 30-50 RPM.  Then back it out the smallest amount until that cyl just starts to fire again.  Repeat for the other 3 cyls.  Then re-adjust your idle speed and go around to all 4 mixture screws again.  Keep going around until you determine that they are all at their sweet spot.  Then you are done.

The Aircare readings show your idle jet is massive.  Since it says 60, I suspect it has been drilled.  I bet it has been drilled to 70.  If it has, a 65 will probably work for you.  If it was drilled to 65, use a 60.  About 10 years ago when Darren was running 48 DRLAs, he would drive around with 65s, then pop in 60s to pass the test.

The Aircare readings also show your mixture screws are set way too rich.

The idle CO reading at Aircare tells you how well your mixture screws are set.
The dyno CO readings at Aircare tell you how big your idle jet is.
The HC readings are a measure of what your engine is doing with the A/F ratio being delivered to it.  
Since your HC numbers are good, you will have no problems eventually getting your car to pass.  You will also notice that it will run better to boot.

Stock fuel pumps don't need fuel pressure regulators.  You need to check the pressure, then adjust it accordingly.  Adjust by shimming the pump away from the pump mount with extra gaskets.  Ending up with 3-4 gaskets is not uncommon with aftermarket pumps.  I have seen stock pumps squirting out 7-8 psi.  Get the pressure down below 3psi.  A stock pump at 2 psi can deliver enough fuel to push a stock weight Beetle into the 12s.

In your second post, you mentioned that you turn the screws by

Offline captCRUNCH

Aircare Results
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 11:23:09 PM »
great advice guys, i was pretty suprised about my HC as well and my nox is way under the \"good reading for your vehicle\". the guys at lordco didn't have a clue what i was talking about (the jet gauge) where can i find one? i figure it might be a good tool to have. what do you guys figure about the 162 main (if thats what it is). like i said before 48 dells, 86b, 9:1, 044 heads 42X37 ported by Darren (plus intakes), 1 5/8 merged exhaust, and a black oil cap. the car seemed to pull hard till 4500 then fall off a bit. is this where the playing around with different jets come in? if so does anyone have a whole whack of 'em that they are willing to part with? any guess to what rpm this combo *should* be able to pull strong to? thanks again for all the info.

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Aircare Results
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 11:08:50 AM »
the guys at lordco didn't have a clue what i was talking about (the jet gauge) where can i find one? i figure it might be a good tool to have.
Well, the guys at AirSpeed know exactly what you're talking about.
We can supply them. There's one set that has sizes from .45mm to 1.5mm, and one that goes from 1.5mm to 3.0mm.
They're $44.95/set, but if you buy 'em both I'll do a package deal for $80.00 +tax.
Jason Hamilton

Offline Bruce

Aircare Results
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 01:18:43 PM »
.... what do you guys figure about the 162 main (if thats what it is). like i said before 48 dells, 86b, 9:1, 044 heads 42X37 ported by Darren (plus intakes), 1 5/8 merged exhaust, and a black oil cap. the car seemed to pull hard till 4500 then fall off a bit......
Good thing you got the black oil cap, those other colours just don't work.

What size are the venturis in your carbs?  Are they Tri-jet 48s?

Offline captCRUNCH

Aircare Results
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 07:04:59 PM »
non tri jet, with 40 vents.