Author Topic: Weighted Shifter?  (Read 1851 times)

Offline captCRUNCH

• http://
Weighted Shifter?
« on: March 01, 2004, 09:18:06 PM »
ok guys another theory/why post.
my roomate just got ahold of a 87 golf (yeah i know water but it could be worse...a honda) and he was like AWSOME it has a weighted shifter shaft...or something along those lines...i'm gonna put it in my jetta. its a part of the shift rod that is about 6 inches long and has some serious weight grafted on (about 10oz). he said that it helps smooth out the shifting and you can throw the shifter anywhere and it will go. my question in why?? wouldn't that be worse for shifting?? i understand why it would feel smoother (kinda like running a lightened flywheel vs a stock one) but wouldn't this device be bad for the syncro's and other internal parts?? i would also think that shifting could become a tad slower due to the added weight. anyone eles know what i'm talking about?? are these parts just another rice item with a flashy name that cost's big bucks??  

Offline Trevor P

Weighted Shifter?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 06:56:43 PM »
If you look at the A3 and newer VW's... they have the weight put on the shift lever on the tranny right from factory. It does make the shifting smoother, and take less effort. I don't imagine that it would hurt the syncros, esp. if they put it on from the factory.
'53 Barndoor single cab
'57 Cal-look oval 2332cc / Berg 5
'70 911T

Offline Bruce

Weighted Shifter?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 12:46:14 PM »
The only two things I can think of (having never seen it) is that it could be a counterweight.  If so, it would make the shifter feel very light.
It could also be there to reduce vibrations.

Offline captCRUNCH

• http://
Weighted Shifter?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 12:51:00 PM »
its definitally not a counterwieght...the stock peice is nothing more than a rod. good idea's bruce  B)