Author Topic: New Dc Project  (Read 4521 times)

Crank

New Dc Project
« on: August 15, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Yahoo!
 :rockon:
A year ago or more I dropped a letter off at a house that had this 1970 DC sitting outside, well I got a call from the owner 2 days ago asking if I was still interested. I went and took a look, and it is definitely a project but I have decided to save her.

All that is missing is an engine but otherwise it is complete. There is a fair amount of rust on the outer panels, rockers etc... but quite solid otherwise.
I believe some of you know the PO, and maybe even the previous PO. Someone had converted it into a 6cyl watercooler? A radiator is under the tire cover hanging off the front? Hmmm. Originally it was blue and white, now it sits prairie yellow and white.

Anyways I should have some pics to share on Monday, but I also have a few questions...

The engine in the 70 DC would be originally a 1600, and that would a pancake style engine? Or an upright? My old busses all had the pancake style.

Also are there any great sites for DC info that anyone may know of?

Thanks,
Joel
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 09:11:35 AM by Crank »

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
New Dc Project
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 09:43:47 AM »
Congratulations, I tried to make contact on that one a few times.

The 70 would have come with an upright 1600 singleport.

Look at dropgates.com for a little info, no real site dedicated to bay trucks [_[ .
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline 72vwtype2

• Phil
  • Still searching....1972 Single or Double Cab
New Dc Project
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 12:40:09 PM »
Cool find!!! Is the one on 152nd close to King George?

Oddly, the DC & SC baywindows came with upright motors. On the 1972 & up models (Panels, window van etc...) they started using the pancake type 4 motor. But the DC and SC never changed over. I m not sure why they continued to use them, since the pancake motors were considered \"bullet proof\" and more efficient.

Congrats & Good luck.
1958 deluxe Beetle (project in progress)

1972 Kombi
1964 Vespa 150

Offline piercedvw

• aka Karmann Ghia
New Dc Project
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 01:15:31 PM »
Yes.. alas... More time and money, I would have tried harder. I stopped by her place many a time. She was pretty set on keeping it.
 I'm glad it's found a GOOD home.  :wub:  

Crank

New Dc Project
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 10:29:58 AM »
************* Darn it.. I Lost the pics ... so I'm removing the links.

Here are the pics I promised.

After poking around a bit more, I have now uncovered all of the problem areas.
Both wheel arches,  2 outriggers on the right side, rocker panels on both sides, and a patch on each floor board will need to be replaced. Anything else can be worked. The rear gate will need work on one hinge and the bottom edge. Also an engine access panel like for a van or type3 has been cut into the floor of the truck bed. Easy fix.

The interior is in great shape, the electrical seems pretty much untouched except for a stereo install and gauges. All the glass is great, no cracks or chips. Truckbed and side gates are solid as is the rest of the truck.

Definate project... comments? Am I crazy to save this?  :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 09:43:17 AM by Crank »

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
New Dc Project
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 11:38:12 PM »
Am I crazy to save this?
you're crazy.....and i love it!!!

save that truck!!

Offline piercedvw

• aka Karmann Ghia
New Dc Project
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 08:21:18 AM »
:wub: How could you not.  

Offline epic3

• http://
New Dc Project
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 06:27:15 PM »
Crazy not to save it but it is rough I hope you got it for a good price.
Any ide on what v6 it had in it ?

Offline 68IIIbuggy

New Dc Project
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 08:04:37 PM »
Nice find. It looks more like a 71, rather thatn a 70. It's got the later disc-brake style wheels.

Offline Hansk

New Dc Project
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 12:05:32 AM »

Any ide on what v6 it had in it ?
It was some sort of old ford or capri v6. I knew the guy that put it in at the time He owned this truck. He was kind of crazy that way , I think that motor later went into an oval drag car which He bought from another friend of mine.
This last owner is also a good friend of ours.  I've looked at that truck many times....never considered buying it , my loss , good luck with the project.
Big fat black fastback

Crank

New Dc Project
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 10:03:53 AM »
Thanks for the info Hansk, I too was wondering what engine the PO to the PO had in it.
In fact the PO did mention that she knew you, and many others in the VW community.

As far as the later style disc brakes,he must have swapped out the swingaxle and wide5s when he put in the bigger engine. Currently it has an IRS tranny and the later (71+) brakes and wheels. Which is not exactly what I wanted, and I'm not sure if I will keep the IRS/balljoint setup or not. All of the modifications that were made to the van, are easily reversable thank freekin' G.

And FYI, ya I got a decent deal on it. ;]

Offline surgerypending

New Dc Project
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 11:09:02 AM »
Ever decide to sell it let me know!
Gerry
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline 68IIIbuggy

New Dc Project
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 05:45:14 PM »
Thanks for the info Hansk, I too was wondering what engine the PO to the PO had in it.
In fact the PO did mention that she knew you, and many others in the VW community.

As far as the later style disc brakes,he must have swapped out the swingaxle and wide5s when he put in the bigger engine. Currently it has an IRS tranny and the later (71+) brakes and wheels. Which is not exactly what I wanted, and I'm not sure if I will keep the IRS/balljoint setup or not. All of the modifications that were made to the van, are easily reversable thank freekin' G.

And FYI, ya I got a decent deal on it. ;]
It wouldn't have been swingaxle, just wide 5 drums all around. easy to swap back if desired.

Crank

New Dc Project
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 12:29:51 PM »
Oh really?
t would have been IRS and Ball joints? hmmm cool, so I need to find wide 5 drums and backing plates then. Thanks for the info.

Crank

Re: New Dc Project
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 09:43:38 AM »
Update, I sold this project to someone who has the time to fix it up right.
Enjoy Peter!

Crank

Re: New Dc Project
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
Awww...

Spoke to Peter last night about this project.
A garage fire 2 weeks ago took this DC out for good.
From my understanding, the rust was all cut out, panels were ready to be put back in...
30 mins of scorching heat took out the entire garage and everything in it.
Along with the DC about 30G in equipment, tools and cars and parts were lost.

Sad.