Author Topic: to cut or not to cut  (Read 5294 times)

Offline 52 split

to cut or not to cut
« on: November 06, 2008, 03:34:20 AM »
hello all , newbie here on site, would like some thoughts on cutting in a three fold top into an early 52 crouch cooler,this car is # matching,the car is ready for paint, the thing is , metal has been replaced in the usual places, front fire wall, heater channels, rear &front  aprons with german metal as much as possible. :-\would this ruin or help a future sale, does any one know a good installer and where i could get a correct three fold top? . thanx

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
Re: to cut or not to cut
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:14:40 AM »
You've got a numbers matching vehicle, and you want to cut in a top?

From my perspective, that is a definite turn off towards the value of a future sale. For what it's worth, I say don't do it....

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline James Buchan

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 09:57:36 AM »
I agree dont cut it!

Offline Lanny

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 09:58:42 AM »
From personal experience, the sunroof will add value to the car. I have yet to see a genuine -55 sunroof car(of the many I've worked on), 90% are spliced anyhow.

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 11:10:51 AM »
good call Lanny. I will smite the others for you
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline dods1600

• http://
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 02:38:46 PM »
How can you tell if the car has been spliced with a rag top?
I drive a fat chick

-Tristan

Offline notchback

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 03:58:38 PM »
Go ahead and cut away I agree with Lanny
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences

Offline G-dog

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 04:26:12 PM »
Just do it well-don't hack it and make it hard for the upholstery guy to finish! :D
1967 Beetle (the only year worth considering)/Berg 5

Offline nivag

• Gavin Lee
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 05:00:35 PM »
Before you worry about lowering the value(which I dont think it would if done right), you might want to price out finding a roof section and the mechanical parts. The cost of the parts alone if you dont have them might help you to decide...

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 05:06:07 PM »
good call Lanny. I will smite the others for you

I smite thee for ruining my neutral score!

-----------------
Back on topic...

From what I saw this past year while shopping for a bug, most of the grafted in roof's were either a) noticeable in some way, or b) being passed off as factory folding roof cars. Usually it was "found out" and exposed by someone who knew a previous owner. If the market is valuing cut-in's higher then fully matching cars, then I guess I'm wrong.

But it just seems to be a shame on a numbers-matching car. For what-ever reason, it seems "okay" to me if it wasn't numbers matching.

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline VW 144th

• Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 07:26:54 PM »
Don't do it ! The car has survived this long with out becomming a baja or "The pink lady" If it were mine # matching , Noooo Way!

Sorry Lanny.

J
88 syncro doka
70 bug
62 bug

Offline Trevor P

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 07:47:36 PM »
I wouldn't do it.
If it was a shell and missing most everything when you got it I would say go for it, but it sounds like you have some what of a survivor. Besides sunroofs are nosiy and they leak. ;)
In the end it's your car and only you can make that final decision.
'53 Barndoor single cab
'57 Cal-look oval 2332cc / Berg 5
'70 911T

Offline Krautbucket

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 08:18:17 PM »
Personally I would leave it alone , it might be worth more with a sunroof in it but it shouldn't always be about monitery value , original cars are not falling out of trees and they don't make them anymore so nothing wrong with preserving another one . Having said that there are some very nice modded vintage vws around too . If you really want a sunroof , its your car and I won't hold it against you .

Offline Randy

• Formerly Tikitime
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 08:39:34 PM »
It's only original once!

Offline buggy1

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
I'm not one to talk as both of my cars are modified, but I'd leave it as is and then go find a rag for the next project.
'65 buggy
'58 baja in progress
Sunset Buggy Club

Offline 72vwtype2

• Phil
  • Still searching....1972 Single or Double Cab
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 08:53:35 PM »
Relax Guys/Gals!!! It's only a matching number 52. I see them scooting around town all the time.

I say one piece window kit, louvres the running boards & deck lid, shaved handles & moulding, suicide doors and then paint it "peachy pink".
1958 deluxe Beetle (project in progress)

1972 Kombi
1964 Vespa 150

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 08:54:47 PM »
I think if you plan on keeping it for a long time and are not considering selling, then go for the sunroof. Just make sure its done right and no one will ever know but you. If you do decide, I suggest you talk to Lanny or Stefan Feeg, and Im sure you'll be glad you did. Beetles are dime a dozen anyways. ;)

Offline meciscokid

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 09:39:34 PM »
Hey!, I'll send you a dollar, (or a dollar twenty-five U.S.A.) , send me 10 Bugs if they are so plentiful up there. Hell I'll even come up and get them.  Seriously tho,  It's the owners choice, but it has been my past experience that  a numbers matching collectable vehicle, ( 32 Ford, 55-57 Chev, 65-66 Mustang  etc.), that has been correctly restored or original, will have a wider resale interest, than a modified one. Notice I did not say worth more. Its just that when you start modifying a vehicle, you have to realize that not everyone may think it is for the better.  Myself, I really enjoy viewing a correct vintage automobile,  But Big Daddy Ed Roth will always be my hero. ( I might be bi-polar).  REMEMBER its YOURS!  Whatever you decide, ENJOY IT!, 
Define your limitations and you will always be limited.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 09:42:26 PM »
I say put it in.  
A true 11G split is definitely worth the most, however, a properly welded in correct 3 fold will still make the car worth more than if you leave it the way it is.  Just like a semaphore'd oval is worth more than a later oval.

Offline billybob57

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 10:09:50 PM »
I think you should leave it alone it a 52 for gods sake dont see them every where. Plus down the road you might regret putting it in and then there is no turning back and making it original again. Do it or Dont still your decision. Would be nice to see some pictures thou... ;D

Offline 70's Looker

• More than a 70's Hooker!
  • what's this for?
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 10:27:42 PM »
i will vote put it in, no question really if your going to sell it, a well done one will bring the bucks up, if your going to keep it why not have a big ass sunroof in it, i see no down side and if the "original" folks dont like it well they can find out what was original to that car and put a solid roof, im sure 50's cars have the same kinda shape if its easy to put a sunroof in than its easier to put a roof back on. the custom guys can work welders just as good as the stock guys think about it!
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 10:29:29 PM »
If you do it right it can always be corrected, Look at the amount of work that goes into some of the split restorations in the U.K.
Have fun, most likely you will not find a original one anyhow.
The money is there anyhow, I think its worth more if you do it,
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 11:10:32 PM »
first of all...welcome to the asf!!!!

secondly...

...52 crouch cooler...

a crouch cooler!!! sweet. ;)

finally...

i'm with the "dont cut" party. i'm definately no purist (i love 'em all), but imho, splits are way too rare to be cutting roofs in. especially a #'s matching split. even if it's had heater channels & aprons fixed/replaced...it's still not worth it...for the sake of originality and resale value (see below).

now...alot of people here (yourself included) have mentioned the resale value of the split should you decide to sell it. the argument seems to be that a split rag (even if it's unoriginal) would gather more cash than a hardtop. i dont necessarily believe that to be true.

case in point (and someone correct me if i'm wrong here)...the randy gates "gates of heaven" split window hardtop and the rich riviera "brown gfk ragtop split" (which i'm fairly certain was an original rag) were two cars that had different looks (cal-look vs resto-custom) but were also two cars that were top shelf restos with all the bells & whistles and all the coolest one-offs and were built by the same guy (buddy hale).

both cars sold for roughly the same price...$65-70k (give or take a few bucks...but if i recall the end prices were not that far off from each other...and again, someone correct me if i'm wrong).

and this was a real rag vs a real hardtop.

my point is...that if a split is built right in the first place...it should gather top dollar regardless of if it's a hardtop or ragtop. but it also seems that split folks (stock or custom) seem pretty picky about the fact that the more original a split is...the more it's worth.

so if you're looking solely at the higher resale value...dont cut.

and if you're looking solely at originality and authenticity...then dont cut.

but in the end...it's your ride to do with as you please...so whatever you end up doing...make sure you drive it and enjoy it!!! 8)

Offline 52 split

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 01:22:35 AM »
thanks for all your input on cut or not, i did not want to put in a sunroof to increase a future sale, i wanted to hear thoughts on if doing so would lower the value of the car. i do like the looks of a sunroof and i plan on keeping and yes driving the car. i would like to show the car in aug at the show if completed on time, hey the classic would be great to go to as well, i will be doing a resto\custom theme.brms or porsche alloys?. lowered a tad in the front narrowed somewhat. nothing to far from stock. keeping all the stock parts in storage. of course i hope to do a proper job on the car. i could use the number of gary economy to install the interoir,or some one exprencied on the island to do the job?. i have a complete ingrid opermier interior, the engine was done by okrasa joe by the p o for this car.maybe i should find an okrasa kit for this engine. i do have photos not sure how to post.there were no computers when i went to school.would some one with vintage know how volleenteer there # to consult with, i have only worked on 1965+ cars.  thanks again all

Offline Lanny

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 07:28:19 AM »
Good points Silas, although Richs' 50 was a basket and I'm 90% sure it was spliced. The Gates Split has $25K more in the running gear(EFI 2332/Berg5) while the 50 has a 25 HP. I feel the the splice won't hurt the resale value, that's the question first asked.

Offline beetleboy

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 11:01:08 AM »
CUT!!!!!

Offline josh

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 11:49:38 AM »
thanks for all your input on cut or not, i did not want to put in a sunroof to increase a future sale, i wanted to hear thoughts on if doing so would lower the value of the car. i do like the looks of a sunroof and i plan on keeping and yes driving the car. i would like to show the car in aug at the show if completed on time, hey the classic would be great to go to as well, i will be doing a resto\custom theme.brms or porsche alloys?. lowered a tad in the front narrowed somewhat. nothing to far from stock. keeping all the stock parts in storage. of course i hope to do a proper job on the car. i could use the number of gary economy to install the interoir,or some one exprencied on the island to do the job?. i have a complete ingrid opermier interior, the engine was done by okrasa joe by the p o for this car.maybe i should find an okrasa kit for this engine. i do have photos not sure how to post.there were no computers when i went to school.would some one with vintage know how volleenteer there # to consult with, i have only worked on 1965+ cars.  thanks again all

welcome mr 52 ;D

my 2 bitz..... if you want a sunroof car and you are gonna keep it then go for it! (as long as it's a 3 not a 2 fold!!) That said if it were for resale, then unless you already had the clip it wouldn' be worth it...... $3+ for a complete clip, then if you had to pay someone to graft it in proper $$$$$ would at least equal if not exceed the increase in value.

You mentioned the island.... where are you located? I'm in Victoria building a 55 rag and could give you a hand if needed.

Josh
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 01:26:24 PM »
Here you go. Don't know if it's a two fold or three. In Tacoma.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=665813
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline piercedvw

• aka Karmann Ghia
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 02:01:04 PM »
NO Don't!!  :o

Offline buggybilly

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 08:28:16 PM »
na dont do, I am on that side of the fence, ya got a crotch cooler that cool enough
if you really want to buy a clip ship it to the island spend the 3-4 gs. then sit on it for a while

be happy with what ever you do, and drive it. okrasa soods cool is there anybody running one on the island
cheaper than rag top preaty fun too,a little vintage preformance