Author Topic: Optima Batteries?  (Read 6013 times)

Offline suburbiana

• watershed photography
Optima Batteries?
« on: February 14, 2006, 08:04:53 AM »
I'm just curious if anyone has any personal experience using Optima Batteries under their bug's rear seat ... and if so , what 'model' are you using (ie. what the heck is the difference between a group 75/25 and a group 34/78, other than physical size and some more power/capacity). I have a converted 12v '66 that I am considering putting one into, that historically took a group 42 battery.

thanks in advance,
Craig
'66 Seasand Bug - SOLD Feb '07

Russ

Optima Batteries?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 08:30:33 AM »
i have one in my 57 i drive daily it does fit no problem.
when the wife gets home from work i'll check what one it is.
or Jim can pitch in as he has one on his car

russ

Offline James Buchan

Optima Batteries?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 09:16:55 AM »
I use a red top in my F150 - it can sit for months and it will fire right up - great battery for the money, and a pretty good warrenty too.

Offline Bruce

Optima Batteries?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 09:36:10 AM »
I put one in Rick's car.  I believe it was the group 75 one.  The best deal seems to be the place on Bridgeport in Richmond.  It was exactly $150 with the tax, tax, and tax.
Of course it will crank well, it is much bigger than a group 42 Beetle size battery.  And it is much heavier.

Offline woodsy

• http://
Optima Batteries?
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 10:40:11 AM »
I have an optima Red in my truck.  It has made its way from my old 63 for a few years, to my brothers 3/4 ton and back to my truck.  This battery has given me zero problems.  I bought mine at a local dealer here in Campbell River, but one day i was in Walmart they had the red and blue series for about 100 -129 bucks.  The thing i like about them is they are sealed can be mounted upright or on their side, have great vibration resistance and a hell of a lot of cold cranking amps even after sitting for months.  I will be buying a brand new one for my new project when its time.

Woodsy

Offline AlanU

• http://members.shaw.ca/acvw/index.htm
Optima Batteries?
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 07:16:46 PM »
I'd just recommend using a 75DT from interstate (DT-dual terminal universal battery) or another favourite is a DELCO brand.

It should easily last 5 years without any issues and its aprox 100bucks. My shop has sold hundreds of Interstate batteries and NO comebacks. After 5 years I usually sell a new battery to majority of my customers or I'll start seeing internal shorts sometimes regardless of battery make.

The Optima will weigh more and as far as life is concerned I have not seen them to pass a load test any longer than a traditional lead/acid battery.

A beetle doesn't require alot of CCA's so I'd just go with a 75DT.

Just remember alot of people \"THINK\" a batter is good just because the car starts well. I do load test on batteries with either my little MINI VAT SnapOn battery tester or my traditional bulky VAT40. A battery can fail the load test and it'll cycle the alternator on more often which is a BAD thing. If you have a loose battery terminal the charging system will go full tilt!!! I melted my brand new alternator just because of a loose terminal in my 65.

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
Optima Batteries?
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 09:09:45 PM »

Just remember alot of people \"THINK\" a batter is good just because the car starts well. I do load test on batteries with either my little MINI VAT SnapOn battery tester or my traditional bulky VAT40. A battery can fail the load test and it'll cycle the alternator on more often which is a BAD thing. If you have a loose battery terminal the charging system will go full tilt!!! I melted my brand new alternator just because of a loose terminal in my 65.
Great info Alan ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 09:10:03 PM by Hulk »
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline btljuce

Optima Batteries?
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 09:26:55 PM »
Great info Alan ;)
yeah alan !!   LOL !!!!!!  how about the lightest battery ?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 09:27:53 PM by btljuce »

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
 56 rag oval now  2332 !!
 56 wolfsburg kombi

Offline Chris

• Car.
Optima Batteries?
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 09:29:59 PM »

Just remember alot of people "THINK" a batter is good just because the car starts well.
So what batter is best for starting your car? Pancake or Waffle?

Offline Bruce

Optima Batteries?
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 11:33:24 PM »
how about the lightest battery ?
The Odyssey PC 680 is hands down the winner.  At only 16lbs, it is around half the weight of a standard Beetle battery.  If your car is only a summer driver, this battery will work for you.

Offline Cameron

Optima Batteries?
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 08:38:07 AM »
Anybody know where this Odyssey PC 680 is available from?

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline Bruce

Optima Batteries?
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 09:21:49 AM »
The best deal bar-none is eBay.  There are always several guys selling them drop-shipped directly from Odyssey.  Do not get the one with the metal jacket, but do get it with automotive posts.  
I remember doing the calculation a year and a half ago.  You can buy the battery, have it shipped to Pt Roberts, pay the taxes, and get change from a hun.  The stupid local distributor doesn't even stock the automotive posts, and for that will charge you an extra 30% on the battery.  You will have to fab your own strap, the stock one is too long.

Offline suburbiana

• watershed photography
Optima Batteries?
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 09:32:24 AM »
thanks for everyone's replies and insights ... car is (will be, once everything is finished) a daily driver so unfortunatley the Odyssey is not a viable option ... the current battery that is in there from the p.o has some post and connection corrosion, and one of the older ones leaked as well, my understanding with the Optima's is that this wouldn't be the case, hence my leaning in that direction - otherwise I would be more than happy not to have to pay $150 for a battery.

Alan, thanks for the heads-up about the loose connection issue, I'll make sure to double check that as well.

Cheers, Craig
'66 Seasand Bug - SOLD Feb '07

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
Optima Batteries?
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 03:53:27 PM »
Hey guys, can someone explain to me why the Odyssey battery is not for a car that is daily driven? Also, why do you not want the jacket on the Odysey battery? Thanx, Brian. Sorry for the dumb questions but I was looking at them on E-bay.  

Offline Bullyboy

• http://
Optima Batteries?
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 06:48:18 PM »
Didn't he say :huh:
If your car is only a summer driver, this battery will work for you

Offline btljuce

Optima Batteries?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 08:29:00 PM »
The Odyssey PC 680 is hands down the winner.  At only 16lbs, it is around half the weight of a standard Beetle battery.  If your car is only a summer driver, this battery will work for you.
thanks bruce

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
 56 rag oval now  2332 !!
 56 wolfsburg kombi

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
Optima Batteries?
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 08:47:42 PM »
A nice plus about the optima is everywhere that sells it must warrenty it for seven years! A nice plus driving across the country! Full warrenty! No pro-ratings. just exchange!
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline AlanU

Optima Batteries?
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 09:51:37 PM »
1976bus, Costco has a nice batter for you. Just add water and it'll make great pancakes  ^_^  LOL

the PC680 is a light motorcycle battery. The wierd thing is I dont know how to test them. I've never tried testing my PC680 with a Snapon MiniVAT. I've never even seen a battery testing procedure for motorcycle batteries. Maybe I'll do some research. They do say they have a lifespan of 10yrs. I doubt it though.

A friend of mine has been using his PC680 in his SVO mustang for 2 years now. Its a 4cylinder turbo ford that gets driven virtually all year round. He's had zero problem using that motorcycle battery in his car.

The PC680 with metal jacket is what I bought. Thats the only one the supplier had in stock. Its removeable so its not a big deal but it did cost minimally more than a NON metal jacket. Who cares just make more HP out of your flat 4  ;) that'll make up for extra weight.

For a \"regular\" guy thats not concerned of saving weight in a hotstreet Vdub I'd just use a regular lead acid battery. If your worried about corrosion you should be spraying the anti corrosion paint specifically for batteries.

Interstate has a good warranty that should be good across the country aswell. I'm not anti - optima. I just see them lasting NO longer than an Interstate lead/acid. And IF THEY DO last longer why gamble having a battery that may compromise the life of your regulator in your alternator or regulator of the generator. You should change your battery after 4-5 year regardless.  There are things to be cheap on in life. A battery is not one of them or you'll end up hitchhiking or be screwed and on a sunday night after dinner you'll have a dead battery and resort to buying a piece of crap Canadian Tire battery.

Offline Trevor P

Optima Batteries?
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 10:03:13 PM »
How right you are Alan. Jenn and I had to push start the bug after we went to the drive in theatre last fall. This was just after I threw in a \"good used battery\" I had after my Optima screwed up. Needless to say she was not impressed (good thing it wasn't our first date! :lol: )
I think I'm gonna use the odyssey in my 56 also.

'53 Barndoor single cab
'57 Cal-look oval 2332cc / Berg 5
'70 911T

Offline AlanU

Optima Batteries?
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2006, 10:33:04 PM »
How right you are Alan. Jenn and I had to push start the bug after we went to the drive in theatre last fall. This was just after I threw in a "good used battery" I had after my Optima screwed up. Needless to say she was not impressed (good thing it wasn't our first date! :lol: )
I think I'm gonna use the odyssey in my 56 also.
Hey Trev,

just be careful of those automotive terminals for the oddysey. Dont over torque them. I personally dont like the flimsy design but you cant help it because its a motorcycle battery.

I was tightening my battery terminal and I tweeked it afterwards and the terminal loosened a tad off the screw in terminals. I was trying to be make sure the terminal was secure without tightening it too much and it got loose some how.  I was test driving my car and I saw smoke coming out from the back of my car and the genny/alt dummy light went on. Scared the Sh!! out  of me. Took the terminal off the alternator and taped it up with black electrical and crippled her home.

I guess if wanted to go back to a lead acid battery and save some weight compared to a DT75 I'd use a Group 51R or 51 honda battery.  

Offline Bruce

Optima Batteries?
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2006, 01:00:03 AM »
Hey guys, can someone explain to me why the Odyssey battery is not for a car that is daily driven? Also, why do you not want the jacket on the Odysey battery? Thanx, Brian. Sorry for the dumb questions but I was looking at them on E-bay.

Hey Trevor, we have hills.  We can clutch start our cars without pushing.
The Odyssey PC 680 does not have nearly enough CCAs to get your daily driver started when it is -5

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
Optima Batteries?
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2006, 07:11:28 AM »
Thanks Bruce.

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Optima Batteries?
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2006, 08:44:25 AM »
Could the metal jacket on the Odyssey be there to aid heat dissipation? A little battery doing the work of a big one is sure to warm up quick during an extended crank.
As far as a cheap lightweight battery goes I've had some excellent results from the more skookum lawntractor/snowmobile batteries from Wal mart. As long as you maintain the water level they last for 3 years+ and at around $25 they're not a big loss if you do cook one. Auto post terminals will fit on to the lugs if you spread them slightly.
Just don't expect it to run your stereo and lights for three hours at the drive in and start your car after.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline Bruce

Optima Batteries?
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2006, 10:00:39 AM »
Could the metal jacket on the Odyssey be there to aid heat dissipation?
Doubtful.  Steel is not a good heat sink material, and there's no fins.  They advertise it as extra protection.

One oddity about the Odyssey is the re-charge rate.  If it is fully discharged, it only takes 10 min to completely charge.

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
Optima Batteries?
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2006, 10:26:07 AM »
I've been selling batteries for ten years from Interstate to Delco, Magnacharge and Optima.  They all break, they all have defectives and the only thing I have learned is to look for the most popular in the area you drive in, keep your reciept, and test your battery once and a while!
No matter what you drive or where that is the best way to make your life way easier!
(I have seen a optima melt in half and still work! Pretty fricken cool)
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline s3racing

• http://www.walti-sanitaer.ch
Re: Optima Batteries?
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2015, 12:20:01 PM »
I know this is an old thread but i think i have a relevant question.
As any batterie that is mounted inside a passenger compartment requires venting. How do we solve this with our under seat  mounting in our Beetles. How do we vent our batteries.?? Were the stock group 42 batteries vented with a pipe outside of the car?

Thanks Rene

Offline josh

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2015, 01:53:36 PM »
With a sealed battery box and length of poly hose drilled through floor. The one time I went through tech at mission with my old diamond green car the guy mentioned that rule but didn't stop me from racing.
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Bruce

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 08:48:23 PM »
Most tech guys at the race track can't read English.  The NHRA rule says the battery can't be relocated into the passenger compartment.  Our batteries are not relocated, so they are perfectly legal under the back seat.

Stock VWs weren't vented with a tube.

Offline Alp

• I’m not your type. I’m not inflatable.
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 09:59:54 PM »
I have used an Odyssey back when I raced my dragbike and I have one in my Pro Mod (even though I don't start that one up very often LOL).  I have never had a problem with either on them.  If you want car posts just order from their car line rather then the motorcycle line of battery.  If you want small you need to check out the tiny batteries that come from the factory in the Jap right hand drive cars.  They are very small and light weight but are for street cars.

Offline josh

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 10:55:26 PM »
I bought a pc925 after a bunch of reading.....actually started carving out a mount for it last night!!

55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2