Author Topic: Wtf Is Up With Aftermarket Metal?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Boost_Retard

Wtf Is Up With Aftermarket Metal?
« on: March 01, 2005, 11:07:18 PM »
just wanting to know if anyone here has replaced a stock front clip on a 66 stock type 1 with an aftermarket brazilian peice before?

its almost like EVERY part of it is out...not one part so much more than another..but just a steady spread of Fubar accross the board

i have been messing with it for days now..and it just does not fit worth a crap.
its not all that complicated to cut off one front end and weld on another..but the new peice does not match the shape of the body very well at all.

what should i do? i might be able to make this peice fit..but it will never look perfect or even close 2 it..

anyone have a stock nose section that will fit on my 66 and that is not totaly smashed or rusted?

Cale

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 11:15:21 PM »
I just wanted to add... i did not expect this peice to fit perfect..nothing i have ever bought that was aftermarket  has fit perfect...its just think that this is a little out of hand.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 11:30:07 PM »
maybe this particular peice is more fubared than the usual aftermarket metal. like the guy on the line at the factory was having a smoke and talking on his cell  phone trying to figure out where the beach party was that night when your front clip rolled by.

exchange it. i know you know that these peices dont go right in, but if it is really  as big of a pain in the ass as you say it is, perhaps this certain peice is fu@&ed up beyond all recognition.

good luck.

Offline Lanny

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 07:40:22 AM »
No offence to the suppliers who sell this part, they really don't have any other options. They are good for a 50 footer but impossible for a detailed repair. Mint front clip sections are gold, especially 60 and prior. I bought mine at Sacto in 95 for $30..Ah the good ol days..

Offline 65type1

• http://
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 08:09:40 AM »
Hey Boost_Retard,

I went through the same problem when I replaced my front clip.  It seemed like the clip was built on a crooked jig, the angles were way off.

Ended up drilling all the spot welds and re-welding the entire thing back together.

Good luck
building a 40hp 2332...

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 10:06:12 AM »
thanks for the replys guys..at least i know that im not the only one whos had trouble with these..
LOL i would love to exchange it but i have had to do some cutting in order for it to clear my narrowed beam
it does not look quite like it did when i bought it  :mullet:

Cale

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 01:09:05 PM »
Well, looks like im gonna go try and scoop up Jim's 1 peice front end that he had on his car..

Blaaa.. more chopping..and welding..and money wasted.

but thanks for hookin me up jim!

hope i dont smack into anything now or im hooped for sure...lol i have a baja kit i could slap on it.

Cale  :rockon: