Author Topic: Does This Sound Right?  (Read 1643 times)

Offline volksnut

Does This Sound Right?
« on: May 17, 2006, 04:37:57 PM »
I have a 68 bus but doing a later 5x112 wheel swap...On my Audi A4 Ronal wheels (16x7 45 ET), I clearanced the hub area on the wheel til the grease cap fit in, I got the rotors to fit but will bottom out on the lip of the grease cap...BUT, this is about where I need the wheel to sit as any farther in and I wouldn't get the wheel center cap on....so it looks to be a 13 mm spacer and longer studs...does this sound right..I know some have installed Audi wheels without spacers in front, but what about the center cap

Offline Chris

• Car.
Does This Sound Right?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 05:06:16 PM »
sounds like you need to do some more clearancing, are you talking about the center cap of the wheel? That you wont be able to get it on?  

Offline volksnut

Does This Sound Right?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 05:38:56 PM »
yes the center cap on the wheel....if I clearance the wheel more to allow the hub to move deeper in the wheel the cap won't go on...oh another question....does the disc brake rotor mounting surface stick out further than the drum brake mounting surface or are they the same?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 06:49:15 PM by volksnut »

Offline Custom76Bus

• http://vw.norquaydesign.com
Does This Sound Right?
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 02:01:00 AM »
i think drum sticks out further if i remember correctly.

i was planning to go to different center caps if I can, ones that bump out - that way i can hopefully avoid problem.

--Gavin
1976 Custom Westfalia... in the works.

Offline busnerd

Does This Sound Right?
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 03:31:59 PM »
I have 15\" audi wheels on my bus with no spacers.  The offset is only 39 on my wheels though.  I can't run the audi centre caps because the dust caps in the front and the castlelated nut in the back poke through the wheel a lot.  I could maybe space the fronts out to make room for the cap but the rears can't come out enough to clear the nut whithout hitting the fender lip.

Offline volksnut

Does This Sound Right?
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 06:31:38 PM »
what spacers do you all run...I need about a 12 or 13mm with the 66.5 hub..Mercedes would work, are the hub centrics the spacer to get....it looks like if I run a 1/2\" spacer I'll get the same offset as my chromies that are on the bus now and still run my center caps

Offline volksnut

Does This Sound Right?
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 04:15:46 PM »
okay I got a 10mm spacer to work and keep the center caps and speedo cable....