Author Topic: Importing a Vehicle from the USA - New 2015 Procedures  (Read 5987 times)

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
Importing a Vehicle from the USA - New 2015 Procedures
« on: January 16, 2015, 12:58:58 PM »
There have been some rumours floating around about new requirements for exporting a vehicle from the USA, so I thought I would look into it. The below post assumes that you are already familiar with the OLD system of exporting a vehicle from the USA, and that you're already aware of the general regulations for exporting and importing vehicles. (Age, eligibility, RIV, etc.) If you're looking for a step-by-step primer, this probably isn't the post you're looking for!

Confirmed Changes to the Process
1) The Vehicle Export Worksheet has changed. The new worksheet includes a section called "ITN:". This refers to the Internal Transaction number, which is the new big change to the system.
2) You will require an ITN number, which is generated from the AES (Automated Export System).

The changes, a direct quote from the CBP document is as follows:
The Export worksheet MUST now include the ITN (Internal Transaction Number) which is generated in AES (Automated Export System) to a shipment confirming that EEI (Electronic Export Information) was accepted and on file in the AES.  If you cannot gain access to AES, you may need to contact a customs broker.

Do you need a customs broker?
The rumours I've heard, and what made me look into this, is the question of whether or not you actually need a Customs broker, and their associated fees to export a vehicle from the USA. The short answer is yes. The AES system is setup to only allow US employees with a Federal Tax number to apply. I'm working to see if a Canadian, or Canadian company (Classic Car Adventures) can apply for access to the AES system for the purpose of creating export documents. But for the moment, it looks like we will have to use a traditional customs broker.

So what are the steps now?
1) Contact a broker with the vehicle information. They'll take care of your AES entry and provide you with an ITN number. I haven't looked into the costs for this myself.
2) Fill out the Export worksheet as per usual.
3) Send in the worksheet, copy of the bill of sale and a copy of the Title to the CBP for the usual 72hr wait.
4) Process is the same after that. No changes on the CDN side.

HTH,

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
Re: Importing a Vehicle from the USA - New 2015 Procedures
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 01:01:05 PM »
Adding this:
http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Exporting%20Vehicles%20To%20Canada%20%28Census%20Bureau%29.pdf

Note that if you want the seller to the paperwork for you, signing up for AES requires reading a 34 page manual and taking a 30min online test to be approved. So, chances are you're dealing with a broker :P

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline number3

• Rob Frose
    • http://www.avrparts.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
Great information Dave!.

AFAIK these changes are to do with the US Government / IRS wanting to make sure the seller (US citizen) reports the sale of the vehicle for taxation purposes. 

Not the end of world to importing cars from the US but just another process to learn how to navigate through.

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 07:16:27 PM »
What some people may not know is the Canadian govt. does not care if you export it using this process. You can just drive to the border and import the vehicle.
9 years and counting....

Offline spindle3

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 08:37:58 PM »
gsun--are you saying, that after taking possession of your USA purchased vehicle, you can drive up to the Canadian customs and present them with the bill of sale, etc. and then you're okay to bring it into Canada?

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 09:01:26 PM »
This is very true.. Although you can sometime have issues with ICBC when it comes time to insure. Most times it's a non issue.

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 09:32:34 PM »
gsun--are you saying, that after taking possession of your USA purchased vehicle, you can drive up to the Canadian customs and present them with the bill of sale, etc. and then you're okay to bring it into Canada?

Yep. I mistakenly drove to the Canadian border and forgot to stop at the US kiosk to do the export thing and the border guard told me they didn't care. And nobody inside the office asked for the export docs.

Also, I am getting a vehicle next week from the US and there was no ITN number spot on it. Not knowing at the time about the new requirement, I emailed it in on Friday. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

This is very true.. Although you can sometime have issues with ICBC when it comes time to insure. Most times it's a non issue.

Nobody at ICBC has ever asked me for an export doc from the US.

9 years and counting....

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
Hmmmm, so if you were to get the vehicle into Canada without sing at us customs, then drive it to Seattle the next summer. Say you got pulled over, cause you're driving a lowered noisy VW, and the run the vin? What would happen? Nothing?
brian waz

Offline gowestyoungman

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 07:13:08 AM »

Nobody at ICBC has ever asked me for an export doc from the US.

When I imported into Alberta I'm pretty sure that's what they wanted to see at Canadian Tire, before I could go to the license registry and get a form for an out of province inspection. Maybe it's different in BC?

Mind you, every time I called RIV or Transport Canada or the locally approved inspection shops, it seemed like I got a different answer.

Offline Hansk

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 06:16:24 PM »
I know I have been ask and had the paper work looked at (pretty sure looking for the "exported" stamp on the title) at the border. They may have nothing to do with it but in my case sure seemed to care about it. I think your playing with fire not doing it.

Vehicles 15 years(I think) and older do not require an RIV
Big fat black fastback

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 08:46:05 PM »
Hmmmm, so if you were to get the vehicle into Canada without sing at us customs, then drive it to Seattle the next summer. Say you got pulled over, cause you're driving a lowered noisy VW, and the run the vin? What would happen? Nothing?

Good question.

I have not brought a vehicle in without exporting it. Just passing on what I was told.
9 years and counting....

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 08:52:47 PM »
I know I have been ask and had the paper work looked at (pretty sure looking for the "exported" stamp on the title) at the border. They may have nothing to do with it but in my case sure seemed to care about it. I think your playing with fire not doing it.

When was that? It was changed between when I brought one in in 2009 (required) and another in 2012 (not required).

BTW, my paperwork was rejected and I need to get an ITN number. The US border guys sent me the new form. The cost at A & A Customs brokers is $125.00. Canadians cannot do it themselves even if you were to go through all the work. You cannot do the AES work if you are not a good ol boy.
9 years and counting....

Offline Hansk

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 10:01:34 AM »
I've imported a few vehicles since about 2012 so not sure about regulations before that.  In 2014 I brought up 2 ,  a 2008 atv (riv required and export process required)  and a 1999 cargo trailer (riv and export process NOT required)   They commented on how the trailer just missed the riv because it was 15 years old .  Trailers and boats don't ( or didn't)  require the export process , not sure now if thats still true .
As for the export process , every time I apply to enter the US they ask the purpose of the visit and I answer " to buy a vehicle"  they make SURE  I understand the export process ...........  I like my US visiting privileges so I try not to mess with their laws  .
I guess $125 is not the end of the world.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:11:38 AM by Hansk »
Big fat black fastback

Offline Hansk

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 10:59:37 AM »
http://www.cbpvehicleexport.com/how-to-export/

just found out about this , sounds good
Big fat black fastback

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 08:24:48 PM »
Just finished my export crap. The above site seems a little sketchy, but is probably fine. There is no contact info on that site. I had to give my DL #, passport #, other personal info and the bill of sale as well as the title docs. But I went through a broker that is established at the Pacific crossing.

Anyway it went fine and they filled out all the paperwork for me and submitted it. Going to get it on Saturday. Coming back on Thursday.
9 years and counting....

Offline Batan

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 12:17:20 PM »

When was that? It was changed between when I brought one in in 2009 (required) and another in 2012 (not required).

BTW, my paperwork was rejected and I need to get an ITN number. The US border guys sent me the new form. The cost at A & A Customs brokers is $125.00. Canadians cannot do it themselves even if you were to go through all the work. You cannot do the AES work if you are not a good ol boy.
I imported my bus in July of '09 and RIV was not required. The young customs guy wasn't familiar with it but the older supervisor walked over and told him it was not needed.

I guess additional $125 is not bad. Sounded scary at first.
- Ermin
'69 Riviera Bus
'74 Super Beetle
formerly '61 Ghia

duostyling

Offline PICTUP

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »

I imported my bus in July of '09 and RIV was not required. The young customs guy wasn't familiar with it but the older supervisor walked over and told him it was not needed.

I just finished importing a non VW. With thanks to gsun for all the great new procedure info! The "young customs guy" that I got must've had an IQ on the lower end of the scale plus was a bit bull-headed about the vehicle being RIV exempt(over 15 years of age). At first the 6 number VIN had him baffled, but his more experienced colleague luckily convinced him not to worry about it(being that low number VINs are common with older vehicles). He had a real tough time with the fact that he could not find its country of origin stuck to the door jamb. I assured him it was on the firewall, but I would have to unstrap the hood for him to look. Once you are in the building, you are not permitted back out(in my experience with more than a few vehicles now). Consequently, he kept trying to find where the poor little old Saab was made(on the computer even though I had tried repeatedly at first to inform him). Took him a little over an hour then he started to mutter about the age and RIV exempt status and that it "might not be necessary". As he closed in on stamping the form, he repeatedly stopped to look at the computer in hopes that he could find where the Saab was made. When he started muttering about Finland(yes, some were made there) I thought that he wasn't going to let it go right up until the point that he broke out the ink pad, and said"oh well, I guess it is okay" and stamped it. Whew! Moral of the story? Either have the country of manufacture easily accessed before going into the building or have a letter from the manufacturer stating where it was built. I did not have the problem with either of the VWs I brought thru, or the other Saab(that one is another story…suffice to say, have the craigslist ad if possible!). A&A Brokers were great and you can pay the $125 with paypal…easy-peasy!

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 06:40:45 PM »

I meant the export stamp requirement was changed. The 15 year old vehicle being RIV exempt was always in place.

You would think the name SAAB would tell them something. Finland - Sweden - what's the difference with that? None.
9 years and counting....

Offline spindle3

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 06:38:04 PM »
For everyone's info: I'm just going through this process right now--phoned Pacific Customs Brokers and they quoted me $230, then I called A & A Customs and they quoted me $139.65, so naturally I told them to go ahead.  The final bill came and they were charging me $237.16 !!  The extra was for their administration fee ($52.16) and the vehicle import form ($26.25).  What- they didn't know this when they were giving the first quote?  Went back to look at the original quote and the fine print at the bottom said the price was subject to change!  Right now I'm waiting for the 3 days wait to be up and hope the rest is easy sailing.  By the way, the border only processes these transactions Mon.-Fri.

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 09:48:27 PM »
Call them a say BS. They will probably give you a break. They did with me. I was told 85 bucks and they then said 125. I called BS and they honoured the 85. That was only in January.
9 years and counting....

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 06:08:25 PM »
I completed my vehicle import yesterday by getting ICBC registration and insurance. I asked if they needed to see the export stamp (which I had) and they said no.
9 years and counting....

Offline LateBaySteve

• "Back in the Red Dog Saloon days, there was a sympathetic super mechanic named Muldoon"
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 06:00:48 PM »
I'm going blind trying to understand the import/export info online.
Question about the Canadian side requirements: There is a tonne of info about RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) including that cars over 15 years old are exempt from the program. But I can't for the life of me find what is required if you are RIV exempt.
I have the bill of sale and a notorized WA State "Affidvit in lieu of Title" from 2 owners ago, but no actual title.
Any help?
'58 Dove Blue Bus (awaiting papers)
'71 parts Bus
'72 tin top Bus (soon for sale)
'74 tin top Bus rust bucket
'75 Westfalia (awaiting papers)
'77 project Bus
'77 parts Bus
'78 Westfalia (awaiting papers)

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 06:13:29 PM »
............. but no actual title.
Best confirm the USBPS guys will accept that first, you may not even be able to export it. You may have to get the PO to register it in WA so you have a real title in hand before they will even talk to you. It usually takes a couple weeks to get the hard copy in the mail.

As for the requirements once in Canada it seems as long as you have the stamped import document from Canada customs you are good to go (after a safety inspection), worth a call to ICBC or a visit with your trusted Autoplan agent before going too much further though.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline LateBaySteve

• "Back in the Red Dog Saloon days, there was a sympathetic super mechanic named Muldoon"
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 07:27:14 PM »
Thanks. I did confirm that the US side requires a real title for export. The PO doesn't want to spend the $300 or so it would cost him to title it. Maybe more because in WA State you have to pay a fine up to $125 if you haven't titled withing 15 days.
Just in case i'm not able to get the proper title and have to bring it to the canadian side without properly exporting, I'm going drive down to the boarder tonight and see if they will accept the documentation that I have. I'll post the results.
'71 parts Bus
'77 project Bus
'77 parts Bus

Offline LateBaySteve

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 11:56:36 PM »
Okay, so I went to the Canadian office at the Truck Crossing, and they conirmed that properly "Exporting" a vehicle from the US is not a requirement in order to Import into Canada. They did however mention that if you bring the vehicle back to the US someday and they run the VIN, you can face a $5000 fine, but said he'd never heard of that actually happening.
Also, the guy said that they would accept my Notorized "Affidavit in Lieu of Title" as the title.
One more thing he said that I haven't read online, is that they now prefer a withdrawal or payment record corroborating the purchase price. And that if you claim you paid less than you actually did, that they impound the vehicle. Thanks guys. Hope this info helps someone else.
'71 parts Bus
'77 project Bus
'77 parts Bus

Offline Bruce

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 03:30:48 PM »
I hope you got the name of the guy at customs that told you that.

I had a similar incident in the 90s importing a new car.  Customs wanted to see the US DOT sticker on the inside of the B pilar.  But the car had been repainted and the sticker was gone.  I found a book that deciphered the VIN and that if the nth digit was a "1", the car was built for the US market and thus was DOT compliant.  I showed this to the customs guy and asked if it was sufficient proof.  He agreed and I got his name.  He also said if I had trouble on his day off, for the guys on duty to call him at home.  Unbelievable, i know!  Sure enough, the guys wouldn't accept my proof when I brought the car up, so they called the guy at home and I got the car in.

Offline LateBaySteve

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 11:06:11 PM »
Yeah, I thought the same thing. I made sure to get his name.
What stamps/tags will they look for on a '77 Bus?
Thanks.
'71 parts Bus
'77 project Bus
'77 parts Bus

Offline Bruce

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 01:17:29 PM »
The only thing they might look at is the VINs.  If the bus is missing the perforated VIN sticker it's not a big deal since the VIN tag is by the base of the front window.  It's common for them to not even look at the car.

Offline Dan

• Crown Royal straight up....Thanks
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 07:18:30 AM »
The Export paperwork is not needed for Canada at all.US border services could ask you if was done and  you have to prove it. have never been asked but one time bringing a car up the US border guy told me never loose that paperwork. The more legal paperwork and border stamps you have the better.
We are Bigfun

Offline LateBaySteve

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2015, 08:00:05 PM »
UPDATE:
I had no troubles importing the bus without the export paperwork. I would have done the export stuff if I could, but they wouldn't accept the notorized affidavit in-lieu of title. The Canadian side accepted it for import (as they said they would) and didn't even ask if I had exported it. The first guard/agent I was dealing with was going to charge duty (since it was made in Germany and not NAFTA protected), but he got called away and the guard that replaced him only charged GST, so I guess that is luck of the draw. Thanks
'71 parts Bus
'77 project Bus
'77 parts Bus