Author Topic: Cam Bearings...  (Read 1297 times)

Offline thumper911

• Cruise for Your Cause
Cam Bearings...
« on: February 15, 2008, 07:39:50 PM »
Question regarding cam bearing install. I got a supposed new case from Scat, already machined out for larger stroke. I went to install the cam bearings and one of journals on the left case half (the one mounted to the stand) doesn't seem to have a notch in it as all the bearings have. Is this normal or was this an overlook on this case? I have some pics that are kinda blurry (dang camera didn't want to focus properly) that may or may not help with the situation.
...bearing on the left, journal on the right
...the confused journal
...the blurry bearing....the notch is on the top left

Another question....one of the front journals on the right case half doesn't seem to have a oil passageway like the other 5 journals do. The bearing has the hole for the oil but there is no passage in the case. Again, normal? I'm thinking not. Again, another blurry pic.
...it's the first journal that doesn't seem to have the oil passageway under the bearing

Any advice would be great!
Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:54:11 PM by thumper911 »
All Stressed Out And No One To Choke!!!

Offline Bruce

Cam Bearings...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 08:42:08 PM »
The missing notch for the cam bearing is normal.  It is because stock VW bearings only have the thrust flanges on one side.  You have an aftermarket set of double thrust cam bearings.  Sometimes you have to do mods when installing aftermarket bits.  
Scribe a mark where it needs to go, and file a slot in your case's cam journal.

Offline thumper911

• Cruise for Your Cause
Cam Bearings...
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 09:18:38 PM »
Alright, that's what I was leaning towards but wanted to be sure....all this learning on the go is gonna be interesting in this build.
Now how about the lack (or no lack??) of that oil passageway? Is that normal as well? Is having the passageway on the left case journal all that's needed for lubrication on that cam journal? It just seems odd that the other 2 have the passages on both case halves and this 3rd one only has the cuts on the left case half.  :unsure:  

Offline Trevor P

Cam Bearings...
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 08:01:29 AM »
Is having the passageway on the left case journal all that's needed for lubrication on that cam journal? It just seems odd that the other 2 have the passages on both case halves and this 3rd one only has the cuts on the left case half.  :unsure:
Thats the way stock VW cases are. Don't worry it's normal as it gets it's oil from the other side of the journal.
'53 Barndoor single cab
'57 Cal-look oval 2332cc / Berg 5
'70 911T

Offline thumper911

• Cruise for Your Cause
Cam Bearings...
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 08:14:17 AM »
That's what I was hoping for...confirmation is always nice!

You guys are all awesome! The info I pull off this forum is great! Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you throughout the summer when I get this beast on the road!
I'm sure there will be more questions but for now, thanks again!  :rockon: