Author Topic: Msd Vs Pertronix?  (Read 2042 times)

Offline thumper911

• Cruise for Your Cause
Msd Vs Pertronix?
« on: January 01, 2008, 11:40:08 AM »
I'm looking at getting a brand new ignition for the motor I'm building and just trying to decide on which method to go.
Looking at either just an electronic Pertronix dizzy with a new coil for less than $300 or shelling out around $600 for a new MSD dizzy, coil and box. What is people's preference when it comes to building a new ignition? Is the extra cash going to make that much difference to performance on this engine? This will all be going on a 2275 that I'm building from scratch. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
All Stressed Out And No One To Choke!!!

Offline Chris

• Car.
Msd Vs Pertronix?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 11:47:53 AM »
What is the purpose? Daily or Race or what?

Offline thumper911

• Cruise for Your Cause
Msd Vs Pertronix?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 12:33:38 PM »
It's going to be mostly a \"fun\" daily driver with the odd time down the track if I can ever make it out there. Performance is definantly playing a part in this build but I don't need to break the bank either.  

Offline Trevor P

Msd Vs Pertronix?
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 03:30:14 PM »
Have you considered a Mallory setup?
'53 Barndoor single cab
'57 Cal-look oval 2332cc / Berg 5
'70 911T

Offline thumper911

• Cruise for Your Cause
Msd Vs Pertronix?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 07:08:40 PM »
I actually came across a few \"honorable mentions\" today while searching the Samba but I don't know much for details. And the few threads I saw it mentioned was nothing but good stuff. What's your thoughts on Mallory? Obviously there is some decent stuff if you mentioned it....

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Msd Vs Pertronix?
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 10:32:53 PM »
earlier this year i needed to make yet another ignition upgrade.and due to my new ignition requirements i started having falures ,rotors melting and severe cross firing under the cap .now it was not the fault of the distributer but more what i was doing with it.one thing i needed to do was decrease staic under the cap as well as help prevent crossfire by internal desighn and size of rotor and cap.
both msd and pertronics use the same size ford cap and rotor? may be wrong on the actual domestic cross over.but anyway the cap is vented and the cap and rotor are well desighned for crossfire prevention.i always like to test products and desided to give the pertronics a try instead of the msd .it is a well buildt unit and very easy to wire ,i have had no more rotor melting or crossfiring under the cap issues and found it adjustabilty excellent and timing stability is dead on.
a big bonus is the price at cip is $186.00 vs over $300 for a msd.plus with the pertronics you don't need a ignition box as it will work with a stock coil and allow you to upgrade to a cdi box later ,not bad if you have a cdi box falure on the road.also something i found out ,there are 2 versions igniter 1 and igniter 2 .
if you are going to run a cdi box with the pertronics now or later the cdi box will not use the feature of the igniter 2 unit as it only needs a reference input so you can save the dollars and get the igniter 1 unit .there are many options for leads and many are good ,at present i run taylor at 50 ohms a foot but will switch to crane leads at less that 25 ohms per foot.mentioned earlier mallory makes excellent ignition boxes ,but my favorite is crane ignition products ,seams no mater how hard i try i cant hurt it.

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline thumper911

• Cruise for Your Cause
Msd Vs Pertronix?
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 04:53:48 AM »
Hmmm, some very good food for thought there....thanks Jim. The Pertronix was the setup I'm kinda leaning towards as well. I have to do a bit more reading up on them but is the only difference between the 1 and 2 is the 5000 voltage? Looks like the 2 might have the extra protection for a key-left-on scenario as well. And it looks to me like either one can still take a box in the future?
Thanks again for the info.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 06:40:49 AM by thumper911 »

Offline berliner

Msd Vs Pertronix?
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 06:43:54 PM »
we put a pertronix 1 in my son's car and he subjected it to abuse no motor deserves.at one point something in the distributor came adrift and tore the wires off;he patched it up and it's still going strong...very easy install;stock coil;cheap....mike
what can possibly go wrong?                                                                     64ghia