Author Topic: Anybody Been Through The Border Lately W/ Car?  (Read 6662 times)

Offline Type2Meister

• http://
Anybody Been Through The Border Lately W/ Car?
« on: November 05, 2007, 03:40:43 PM »
Hey guys,
Sorry to ask again, but I am getting ready to go across this weekend and thought I would ask if anybody had recently been through the border (Sumas or Blaine) bringing back a vehicle back on the weekend or in the evening?
I phoned and talked to the 'vehicle export' person and he said they only will process vehicle exports Monday - Friday 8am - 4pm.  I am just wondering if this is always the case or if they may make exceptions if I show up.
Please let me know if you have been through recently.  I am planning on crossing on Saturday and only have the weekend to bring it through.  Monday is a holiday and Tuesday I have to be back at school teaching!
Paul
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 03:44:55 PM by Type2Meister »

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 04:28:04 PM »
Your screwed

FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 04:30:50 PM »
I second the screwing of you by the vehicle export person.

Offline Type2Meister

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 04:37:48 PM »
Yeah I'm not sure if they are saying one thing on the phone, but then if you show up with all your paperwork in order they will process (actually that is what I am hoping!)
He did say the crossing by Osooyoos is a little more relaxed with their policy so maybe we'll have to do a road trip out there...arghhh.

Offline dannyboy

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 05:16:54 PM »
i went through blaine on a a saturday, but thats only because i could prove that my tow vehicle broke down the day before.....
i wouldnt reccomend it as they were NOT pleased to do it on the u.s. side, canadian side it was no problem tho.
otherwise you can leave your car at one of the gas stations (i forget which one) for a daily fee, and come back during the week.

Offline joe

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 05:24:50 PM »
All of the rules pertain to the US side, as only certain crossings allow importations and they must have the title 72hrs in advance.
a few vw's

Offline blarneyman

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 05:29:46 PM »
If you need a place to park a car for a couple days, I could put you up. I'm about 20 minutes from Sumas (between Sumas and Bellingham near Everson)
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia

Offline Bruce

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 06:49:38 PM »
Yeah I'm not sure if they are saying one thing on the phone, but then if you show up with all your paperwork in order they will process (actually that is what I am hoping!)

They are very strict on the 3 day processing time.  Even if you show up when they happen to have nothing to do, they will turn you away.
You can fax all your info in advance, then you will breeze through.  But only during the week, during business hours.
Is Nov 11 a holiday in the USA?

Offline Alp

• I’m not your type. I’m not inflatable.
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 07:04:33 PM »
don't even try it.  Bruce is right with how the border guys are.  They will turn you away in a heart beat.  You also don't want to screw yourself.  Maybe the border guards will think you are up to something and since they are not doing anything decided to play with you.

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 07:11:51 PM »
I did sumas, and they were obviously slow at doing the paperwork. No problems, just a saturday night at 8pm, nothing else going on. I did hear that now even they only do weekdays.
brian waz

Offline Type2Meister

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 08:04:08 PM »

They are very strict on the 3 day processing time.  Even if you show up when they happen to have nothing to do, they will turn you away.
You can fax all your info in advance, then you will breeze through.  But only during the week, during business hours.
Is Nov 11 a holiday in the USA?
yeah for sure I will fax all the info ahead of time...I should have it tomorrow.  I was thinking of faxing it through to the truck crossing and to Blaine too but don't want to tick any of the border guys off.  If they caught wind of that they might think somethings up.
The fellow on the phone today suggested I try Oroville, WA (by Osoyoos) but after check a WA map, that would be a heck of a road trip out of the way.
My brother does lots of shipping out of Sumas so he said I could park at the shipping place then pick it up Monday, but yes Monday is a holiday and they won't process on Monday apparently.  Thanks for the offer though Blarneyman.
Hmmm...I'm coming over on the Coho out of Victoria, I wonder what if I just came back up on the Coho if they could process me that way??  I would be in Victoria already (or would I deal with customs in Port Angeles)?  Anybody know about that?

Offline blarneyman

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 09:41:04 PM »

Hmmm...I'm coming over on the Coho out of Victoria, I wonder what if I just came back up on the Coho if they could process me that way??  I would be in Victoria already (or would I deal with customs in Port Angeles)?  Anybody know about that?
I believe you deal with customs when you get off the ferry. At least that's the way it is in Anacortes when coming from the island.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 09:41:49 PM by blarneyman »
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia

Offline Type2Meister

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 09:49:54 PM »
Whoa, check out this loophole...looks like I'll be coming back over on the Coho!
http://ucanimport.blogspot.com/2007/10/imp...-to-canada.html
Very interesting importing site as well.

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 09:50:37 PM »
you have to stop whereever the port of entry for the country you are leaving is.

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 10:47:30 PM »
Is monday a US holiday as well? If not you might be in luck. When you fax the paperwork in they are going to want to know what crossing you are importing at and I do believe that is the one you have to stick with. I came through on a Monday morning and was in U.S. customs all of 2 min. Canada was a different story. Where did you find this car? What web site? What is a Samba? They even called the people I bought the car off of to confirm the price. I think he was bored.

Jeremy

'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline dannyboy

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 11:07:58 PM »
Where did you find this car? What web site? What is a Samba? They even called the people I bought the car off of to confirm the price. I think he was bored.

nope not bored i had the same deal, all i had for paperwork to show how much i paid, was the bill of sale and the title (i didnt know i needed more)
they asked me about the website, and if they could find it on the samba, if i had the previous owners phone number,and also wanted a bank receipt, funny thing is they never actually even looked at the van after all that.....

Offline Type2Meister

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 11:20:04 PM »
Is monday a US holiday as well? If not you might be in luck. When you fax the paperwork in they are going to want to know what crossing you are importing at and I do believe that is the one you have to stick with. I came through on a Monday morning and was in U.S. customs all of 2 min. Canada was a different story. Where did you find this car? What web site? What is a Samba? They even called the people I bought the car off of to confirm the price. I think he was bored.

Jeremy
yup it is a holiday and the vehicle export guy is not working.  I think I will phone Pt. Angeles Customs tomorrow and see if I can arrange to take it through there.  Check out the link above, sounds promising!

Offline el_flechador

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
I did mine about 2yrs ago through sumas on a saturday, they had my paperwork for 72 hrs but apart from that i had a hand written receipt for an amount I thought reasonable... and apparently there fax/copy machine got alot of my docs that seemed illegible, so i had to show them the originals so they could fill in the blanks....i think i got a good deal and i like themlots :D they just really checked the vin tag on the inside and asked me if i was sure it would make it home!

Best of luck  

Offline wrascal

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 05:55:52 PM »
I did one this spring,  They called back after I faxed them all the information to tell me I had to wait until Monday to bring it across the border as well as fill out their form.  They seem to keep bankers hours and are not too flexible.  With the papers in hand, I was in and out in two minutes.  They also required the original registration (not a photo copy) and stamped it OK for export.  The Candian customs even helped with the filling out of the forms and as it is over 15 years, I didn't have to pay the $195 import fee (sweet!) only the GST and off I went.  They didn't even bother to go out and look at the car.

Russ

Offline Bruce

Re: Anybody Been Through The Border Lately W/ Car?
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 06:49:54 PM »
Sorry for digging up this old topic, but my question relates.
Has anyone FAXed their papers to US Customs on a Friday, then been able to import their car on the following Monday (72 hours later)?  Or does the clock stop ticking on the weekend?

Offline Batan

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 07:09:15 PM »
Sorry for digging up this old topic, but my question relates.
Has anyone FAXed their papers to US Customs on a Friday, then been able to import their car on the following Monday (72 hours later)?  Or does the clock stop ticking on the weekend?

Not sure exactly but when I imported my Bus(July last year), it was butter smooth. I scanned and emailed all of the paperwork, even named the files starting with my first and last name so it comes up for them all together in a list of files. I made their life easy and sure enough they returned the favor. I don't know if the weekend counts but I emailed them with my papers at 11pm on a Tuesday(I think) and I had the email waiting for me that I everything is ready and I can cross any time after Thursday at certain time time, basically 72 hours after I emailed them the paperwork. So, taking that into account, the weekend might count towards 72 hours. Email them with that question, they have been very fast and helpful with my questions. And mine were complicated, a Bus that was sold from Washington to Oregon, never been plated in Oregon so I had a bill of sale from one person but the title from another. As I said, it was butter smooth, at the crossing, US side took 5 minutes max.
- Ermin
'69 Riviera Bus
'74 Super Beetle
formerly '61 Ghia

duostyling

Offline Alp

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 07:46:26 PM »
I emailed some at one time and they "got lost somehow"  from then on I hand them in.

Offline Batan

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 07:48:30 PM »
I emailed some at one time and they "got lost somehow"  from then on I hand them in.

I went in with the printed correspondence with them as well, just in case something was funny. Also, I don't see how files can get lost any easier or harder then a few sheets of paper.
- Ermin
'69 Riviera Bus
'74 Super Beetle
formerly '61 Ghia

duostyling

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 09:24:29 PM »
Its 72 hr, working days only..
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Alp

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 09:43:06 PM »
and I don't think they will do cars after 3 or 330pm.

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 10:29:31 PM »
Correct. 72hrs, monday to friday. They will not process after 3:30pm, no crossing on a weekend.

I've emailed my documents through, and found them to be quite helpful...assuming you stick to their rules.

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline roqueweiler

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 03:00:05 PM »
Border guards are the lowest life form on the earth and have a special place in Hell reserved for them. 

I would personally love to see them all boxed up and mailed to Thailand after a liberal dusting with a controlled substance.

Nothing is too foul for them - drwn/quartered, shot/chopped and pissed on, burned at the stake - whatever.

Good thing I'm so tolerant

just sayin'.................

Offline mizovalgrl

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 03:31:19 PM »
I sense from all of your anger within "someone" has received a full cavity search. :huh:  Just speculating..... :wub:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:36:45 PM by mizovalgrl »

Offline Bruce

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
Sounds like someone got caught.

Offline vwboop

• Chris & Gina
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 07:02:24 AM »
or their one of the four stripped and fondled ladies in the news right now :o