Author Topic: Damage To Generator? And Carb Question....  (Read 1526 times)

Offline thumper911

• Cruise for Your Cause
Damage To Generator? And Carb Question....
« on: July 21, 2007, 10:44:29 PM »
Just a quick question....is it possible to damage the generator in any way if the ground was \"accidentally\" left unhooked for a few seconds with the engine running? Amongst all the figuring out of the new wiring just installed in the car, I happened to \"accidentally\" leave the ground unhooked while trying different wiring scenarios diagnosing another problem and fired the car up, only to have a nasty \"whine\" sound start up. I have since found my grounding error, re-ground the generator and its still doing the whine sound. Is this a simple brush replacement or possibly a whole new generator now?

And another question: I did a rebuild on my old PICT-34 hoping to solve a non-idling engine issue to avail. Thinking of upgrading the carb. What would be a recommended carb setup for a stock 1600. I was thinking of buying a new PICT-34 but considering going to a dual setup. What's the preferred route?

Thanks for any input.
All Stressed Out And No One To Choke!!!

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 10:15:23 AM »
I am not an expert but having owned a few with different settings, here are my two cents:

Carbs:

If you rebuilt your pict-34 and the shaft had no play, it should idle unless there is an air  leak into the manifold, carb, or intake.

Duals run great once they are tuned properly. If your engine is stock and you drive it daily, get a dual system with electric choke. Other wise you have to warm up the manifolds by revving the engine your self.

Dual Solex 35s with choke are good and it wont affect you miles/gallon.

Dual ICT 34s are great too and it won

Offline Hansk

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 10:31:19 AM »
I'm guessing your talking about the small ground wire to the body of the generator ?.... no , no damage would occur from having that disconnected but you may be hearing a bearing noise.

No idle?
recheck your idle jet ...plugged?   , idle shut off solenoid..working?  , mixture screw...adjusted?  ,  vacuum leak?  , points?  timing?
Big fat black fastback

Offline thumper911

• Cruise for Your Cause
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 12:37:38 PM »
Hey thanks for the info guys. I'll have to do some checking into more detail why the car won't run. Yeah, it was the small ground wire from the body of the genny. The whine is weird 'cause it started only after I realized my screwup with the ground wire. Crazy coincidence if it is in fact the bearings that decided to go at the same time. I've never heard this sound before yesterday and my \"grounding\" incident. I'm gonna take the belt off today and make sure its a generator issue. How big of a job is it to re-do the bearings? Would it be wise to replace the brushes at the same time?
As for the carb issue, I had an issue with the float needle valve not being correct...I guess the shims were not quite enough...I ended up having the car obviously stall out and had gas leaking through the rubber sleeve on the left side of the intake...not good. I put the old valve back in and solved that problem but I guess there may be a leak in that rubber...could that be an issue for idling? Anyhow, off to see how much more damage I can do. Thanks again for the input!  :blush:  

Offline Hansk

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 01:00:52 PM »
...I ended up having the car obviously stall out and had gas leaking through the rubber sleeve on the left side of the intake...not good. I put the old valve back in and solved that problem but I guess there may be a leak in that rubber...could that be an issue for idling?
Absolutely
Big fat black fastback

Offline thumper911

• Cruise for Your Cause
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 05:33:08 PM »
Alright, the genny is fine...still charging nicely. whew It's the carb making the noise instead. Getting VERY frustrated. I'm eyeing up the Scat 35mm Solex Duals w/choke. What's the opinions on Scat stuff?? I always thought it would be good products but unless people say otherwise....lemme know. Thanx!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 05:34:53 PM by thumper911 »