Author Topic: Charging System Question?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline thumper911

• Cruise for Your Cause
Charging System Question?
« on: June 04, 2007, 04:48:01 PM »
I've recently replaced all the stock wiring for the car with a complete new kit. My question: the alternator warning light appears to be running off terminal 61 on the voltage regulator. Its all hooked up, but it stays OFF until the engine is running, and then turns ON when the engine is running. The original way was ON with the engine off, ignition on, and then OFF when the engine was running. I decided to check voltage through the battery and its the usual +/- 12V with the car off and then +/- 14V when the car is running. My guess is that the charging system is working properly. Now how come the warning light stays on? Do I have something hooked up backwards? It wouldn't be the first time!  :huh:

All Stressed Out And No One To Choke!!!

Offline GMB

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 02:49:11 PM »
What year is the car? is it an internally regulated or externally regulated alternator?
   Gary.
Warrior sand rail:
2276cc 82x94
Engle FK-41 with 1.25:1 street style rockers
40x35.5 stock cast single port heads
Single 40mm Kadron w/32vent
Equalizer 5lb pulley
Stock lifters
Stock aluminum pushrods
26mm aluminum oil pump full flow
*Poor mans rack and pinion up front*

Offline thumper911

• Cruise for Your Cause
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 09:44:37 PM »
1972 Super Beetle
External Voltage Regulator mounted drivers side under rear seat (or where the seat would be if there was one)
A couple things I have tried is run a wire from the DF (IGN) terminal off the alternator through the warning light and into the fuseblock (not through the regulator)....same thing happens: light stays on while engine is running. I've tried checking voltages at the alternator while running to make sure its charging (it seemed to make sense at the battery) but while I was checking, the car sputtered and died. Now I think my fuel pump went kaput but thats a whole 'nother story.  :wacko: Anyhow, any ideas as to this warning light would be greatly appreciated. Once the car is running again (ie. functional fuel pump) then I would love to get this charging system sorted out. Thanks in advance for any info!  :D  
All Stressed Out And No One To Choke!!!