Author Topic: Border Whoa's!  (Read 5316 times)

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
Border Whoa's!
« on: October 29, 2005, 09:40:06 PM »
Picked up the new project, a nice 68 beetle convert out of Lacey Washington, with the U-haul truck and trailer from down there. Got to the Sumas tonight, no problems on the US side, got to the Canuck side, got all the paperwork done, and then was told all done, except that YOU CAN'T DRIVE THAT RENTAL TRUCK IN CANADA! What? The customs officer said that because it was like importing a vehicle, I would have to go back to the states and get a vehicle with Canadian plates and do it again because I was not american driving a US car? ARGHHH. Fought, argued, called U-Haul who didn't have a clue.... and was hooped. I'd have to leave the truck, trailer and car on the US side and come back with another truck. Went to the cash to pay my GST and asked the guy there, explained again.... he said what? Called the rookie over and said that in most cases his interpretaion was true, but not on rentals. Sorry about that. After an hour trying to come up with solutions, getting someone from the US to drive the US vehicle in canada was the only option.... Sorry, you can go now. At least I hope someone else trying to do this with the rookie won't have to go through the experience that I did! By the way, I didn't think there were any duties on older vehicles, the rookie charged me a 6% duty? Is that right.... VWBOOP?
home safe anyway... on to the work of getting the car back on the road!
Brian    
brian waz

Offline Chris

• Car.
Border Whoa's!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
AKAIK it depends on the age of the vehicle and where it came from.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 10:19:01 PM by 1976BUS »

Offline Island bugs

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 10:33:19 PM »
Yes Other than a rental evidently it is illegal for a Canadian to drive an American car in Canada. I think it's a $200 fine or something. Wayne

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Border Whoa's!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 01:32:49 AM »
damn, what a hassle. glad it worked out in the end.

i had similar problems trying to get insurance for the 64 so i could drive it back. icbc would insure me but would not give me plates or a paper permit. i would have to go get a paper permit in the states. except the insurance company i called in seattle told me they couldnt give me a paper permit for some reason. i ended up calling 3 autoplan agents up here and 2-3 down there and was getting nowhere so i ended up using my bosses dealer plate. that worked.

6% duty sounds about right. i'm pretty sure that's what i had to pay too.

Offline Bruce

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 02:23:43 AM »
You guys got screwed by ignorant customs officers.  There is no duty on antique autos.  Anything older than 25 years is considered an antique auto.  Apply for a refund, you will get it back.

Wayne, it is not illegal for a Canadian to drive a US registered car in Canada.  Canada Customs doesn't like it when a Canadian drives a US registered car into Canada, but in reality than can't do squat since it is not illegal.  For example, my brother is a Canadian citizen, and only a CDN.  He lives in LA and has a US registered car that he drives into Canada all the time.  He does not own any cars registered here.  

The laws of Canada apply equally to all CDN citizens.    DUHHHH!

Since my brother is allowed to drive a US car here, so can I.  What customs doesn't like is the possibility that a CDN could go down to the US and buy a car then say they are just borrowing it from a US friend for a short time and driving it in Canada.  They think you are trying to illegally import it.

As far as the rental goes, since it is legal for a US citizen to drive a US rental car in Canada, it is also legal for a Canadian citizen to drive that same US rental in Canada.  The BC motor vehicle act applies to all drivers regardless of citizenship.

Russ

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 07:27:35 AM »
when we brought the oval home.
my wife drove the thing from California.we did the US customs part.
then drove over to the Canadian side,the girl asked if my wifes plans(figured she was an american) my wife said i just bought this car.they told her to pull inside and pay the tax.mind you this was three years ago mabey something has changed?

Offline vwboop

• Chris & Gina
Border Whoa's!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 07:31:02 AM »
I looked on their website, and it says no duty on cars of Canadian or US origin, however, I think there is exemption on vintage cars as well. We brought some parts across last week and we were charged no duty...still not used to getting charged pst & GST (hogwash). It is definately worth investigating further. Many times I think it comes down to who you get going across, as some of the members on here mentioned they've recently brought cars across and were not made to wait the three days? Congratulations on your new convertible! Love to see some pics. B)

Offline Lanny

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 07:34:29 AM »
I did not pay any duty on the 67 I imported a few weeks ago. Just PST/GST. No way around that.

Offline steiner

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 08:31:14 AM »
I paid duty on mine that is a 56 2 weeks ago
1964 21 bus

Offline vwboop

• Chris & Gina
Border Whoa's!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 08:51:06 AM »
I did not pay any duty on the 67 I imported a few weeks ago. Just PST/GST. No way around that.
They shouldn't have charged you PST as they charge you that when you go to register your car. Their website reflects this. Keep your reciept.

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
Border Whoa's!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 09:27:07 AM »
I asked about the vintage car thing when I brought back the DC and it is true when it is manufactured in the US or
Canada, but the VW isn't so that is why you have to pay duty & pay your GST at the border and you pay your PST when you register in Canada.  Check your papers Lanny one of those was probably duty and not PST.
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Island bugs

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 09:36:56 AM »
Bruce
 Just because your brother has not been stopped does not mean that is the law or perhaps he meets residency requirements of the law. In other words we are not all \"equal\" DUH !!!
 Found these quotes on a quick internet search:

\"Canada would not allow him into Canada with his U.S. registered car because he did not have a valid U.S. visa  (As you will find out in more detail later on in this book, if you do not have a valid visa to live in the States, you cannot drive a U.S. registered car in Canada).\"

rental cars-

\"Driving a rental car across the US-Canadian border is usually not a problem, so long as you have made this arrangement with the car rental company.  Make sure you have a copy of the rental agreement with you, and that is states you have permission to take the vehicle across the border.\"

\"N.B. Canadian law restricts a Canadian citizen from driving a US registered hire vehicle into Canada and then returning it back to the US. The same law applies for American citizens. An American cannot rent a car in Canada, drive it to the USA and then return it to Canada. This law is applied by the insurance companies.\"

Unlike you I am willing to admit that it is possible that all of these people and myself MIGHT be wrong but I suggest you verify before you state things as \" facts\" It is possible that this is an old law that has been changed but I know I have read (with disbelief!) that a canadian man in Vancouver had been fined for driving his relatives american registered vehicle.
 Let's here from the lawyers & police officers out there?
wayne

Russ

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 10:32:59 AM »
just pulled out our customs reciept
we paid GST only no duty but did have to PST when we registered the car.
this was 3 years ago

Offline Bruce

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 10:55:17 AM »
I paid duty on mine that is a 56 2 weeks ago
Check your papers.  If you got charged duty it is wrong.  ALL cars that are 25 years old or older are duty free, regardless of where they are manufactured.  
The same goes for any auto part that is made for a 25 year old car or older.

Apply for a refund, you will get it back.

Customs refund form

Offline steiner

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2005, 11:02:52 AM »
I paid $323.00 in Duty.I just checked.
1964 21 bus

Offline Bruce

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2005, 11:13:10 AM »
I paid $323.00 in Duty.I just checked.
I bet you've already printed out that form!

In section 6c, it will help your refund claim go smoother if you can provide the proper HS code for an antique auto.  Since Lanny didn't get charged duty, his forms will show the right code.  Lanny?

Offline vwboop

• Chris & Gina
Border Whoa's!
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2005, 01:20:48 PM »
Once we get all the facts sorted out we should make a sticky on this topic as a lot of us bring cars up from the states (due to condition re: all the road salt used here, not used even in WA results in clean rust free cars sometimes just across the border).

If we could get this straightened out with some import codes or ?? then we could print off a thread and when we do go across we would be able to let customs know where to look for the info. It's really BS that people encounter different treatment depending on who they get at the border, and it's BS that some are made to pay duty if they don't have to ]:( .  

Offline Bruce

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2005, 01:36:30 PM »
It appears that having the right HS code number doesn't guarantee the proper duty rate.  I just dug up a couple of import forms I have for antique auto parts.  Both have the HS code number 8708.10.29.90, but one had duty charged incorrectly to it.  Many times in the past I have verbally confirmed to the officer that there's no duty.  More than once the guy had to re-do it.

Offline Lanny

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2005, 02:31:00 PM »
As the 67 I imported is not a complete car, it was imported as a 'Vehicle imported and dismantled for parts'. Form 3 ,blah, blah, blah. This means the VIN cannot be used to register the car.  I did not pay any duty. This is the first time I really looked at the paperwork and noticed an $86 'declaration' charge on my Visa. Sneaky buggers.

Offline steiner

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2005, 03:05:55 PM »
So I went to the border today and tryed to figure out why I payed duty! They said that it does not matter whether it is vintage or not because it is an import.I said I knew people that recently brought some old vw through and they did not pay any duty.So why am I? I told them I wanted to see it in writing.No response.They handed me the form and said fill this out.So now I have to send this form away with an explanation as to why I shouldn't pay duty.So people what is my explanation?     That it is a vintage import?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 03:16:44 PM by steiner »
1964 21 bus

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Border Whoa's!
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2005, 03:09:07 PM »
Once we get all the facts sorted out we should make a sticky on this topic.
exactly what i was thinking. great idea.  B)  

Offline vwboop

• Chris & Gina
Border Whoa's!
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2005, 03:44:38 PM »
For those interested here are two web references on importing motor vehicles.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140...0/rc4140-e.html

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_impo...ort.html#before

The latter reference seems very user friendly. Neither actually mention Duty free importation of Vintage vehicles, other than vehicles manufactured in the USA or Canada. I will call on Monday to get the skinny.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 03:47:55 PM by vwboop »

Offline steiner

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2005, 05:49:52 PM »
I'll be watching for an update!
1964 21 bus

Offline blarneyman

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2005, 06:12:17 PM »
damn, what a hassle. glad it worked out in the end.

i had similar problems trying to get insurance for the 64 so i could drive it back. icbc would insure me but would not give me plates or a paper permit. i would have to go get a paper permit in the states. except the insurance company i called in seattle told me they couldnt give me a paper permit for some reason. i ended up calling 3 autoplan agents up here and 2-3 down there and was getting nowhere so i ended up using my bosses dealer plate. that worked.

6% duty sounds about right. i'm pretty sure that's what i had to pay too.
Down here..... in the states you have to get a trip permit (paper plate) I believe would be the same thing, from the state patrol. You would have to get the sale papers then go down to the nearest state patrol office and request a trip permit to transport the car. The only thing I'm not sure of is if you can use this permit to take a car out of the country.
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia

Offline ~Manda

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2005, 09:47:50 AM »
through my quick search online the only info it says about importing vehicles and duty is this

\"Import duties
If your vehicle is eligible for importation into Canada according to both customs and Transport Canada requirements, you will have to pay import assessments which may include duty, excise tax, and the 7% goods and services tax (GST). Provincial sales tax may apply when you license your vehicle.
Generally, you do not have to pay duty on an imported vehicle that was manufactured in the United States or Canada however, we will assess duty on a vehicle manufactured in a country other than the United States.
The value for duty is calculated in Canadian funds and is generally based on the price paid for the imported new or used vehicle purchased in a sale of that imported vehicle.\"

Note it does not say anything about an exemption for the older than 15 year vehicles.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140...0/rc4140-e.html

[size=8] The best way out is always through[/size][/font]

Offline vwboop

• Chris & Gina
Border Whoa's!
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2005, 12:35:35 PM »
So I guess tell them it was made in Canada :lol:  

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
Border Whoa's!
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2005, 01:25:36 PM »
Here's the new project that started all the fuss!
Brian

« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 03:58:16 PM by bwaz »
brian waz

Offline slugbug

• http://
Border Whoa's!
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2005, 02:04:00 PM »
Pics not working. Try this :
[IMG]http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=levon21dn.jpg

[a href=\"http://www.pricenetwork.ca/index.php?rzx=2585\"]
[img border=\"0\" src=\"http://www.pricenetwork.ca/images/linkPN_2.gif\"]
[/a]

Offline steiner

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2005, 07:08:49 PM »
Damn Man! You could have looked at the one I am selling.Still FS $7400
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 07:25:59 PM by steiner »
1964 21 bus

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
Border Whoa's!
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2005, 09:39:15 PM »
Thanks for the offer... it was out of my price range! I managed to get mine for $3000 canuck bucks. Needs a bit of work, some convert rubber stuff... and I'll have to have a deeper look as to whether it gets dismantled big time and cleaned up, or if just a once over could do. Have to think about it! Any more border news Boop?
Brian
brian waz