Author Topic: Painting Wheels  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
Painting Wheels
« on: March 28, 2004, 11:32:46 PM »
totally unrelated to VW but here goes.  I have a buddy looking to paint a set of wheels for his Toyota Landcruiser.  Por-15 came up in the conversation as a bullet proof option.  Has anyone ever used Por on wheels before?  I've seen first hand what it can do for beams, floors, and such but a wheel is sort of an oddity.  He wants to have the \"satin\" look and finish isn't top on the priority list.  Keep in mind this is a Bush Mobile.  They'll take severe abuse.

Any ideas from the Rail boyz out there?

Mo
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline James Buchan

Painting Wheels
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 09:05:57 AM »
One thing with POR is that it does not protect against UV rays - it will fade in color but still give the same protection. You will need to give it a top coat to keep the color.

Russ

Painting Wheels
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 10:20:55 AM »
anything that will be used as a bush mobile no matter what you put on it will get marked and scratched up.
i would go with por 15 or powdercoat them,probably cheaper to por 15 as the wheels don't have to come off the rim.
russ

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
Painting Wheels
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 06:02:20 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about the UV factor.  I still think it's the way to go.  After all......it's a bush machine.  Even if we have to top coat them once every couple years they'll last forever with the Por-15.  Thanks

Mo
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window