Author Topic: More Wheel Choices  (Read 6809 times)

Matt

More Wheel Choices
« on: February 10, 2004, 09:11:13 PM »
I just did a quick test fit with these American racing wheels. To bad these rub the fenders, i would need a different offset to make them work.

Offline James Buchan

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 09:19:32 PM »
Those look sweet matt - where'd ya find them?

Matt

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 09:28:31 PM »
I found this really cool parts store, and the staff are really helpful.........

Offline James Buchan

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 09:30:04 PM »
IC - one of THOSE types of places huh - did ya get the free sticker with the purchase?

Matt

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 09:31:05 PM »
?!?!?free sticker?!?!?!?!

Stephan Schmidt

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 08:38:41 AM »
Matt, those wheels are hot!  maybe get the fronts narrowed, and then you could still run these wheels!

are you going to use the Flat-4 GT steering wheel I sold to you a year or so ago for this type 3?

Stephan

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
More Wheel Choices
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 10:17:25 AM »
narrow that beam, brother. get them wheels to tuck. they look pretty damn cool.

Offline mikeT

• http://
More Wheel Choices
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 11:05:32 AM »
what is the offset and bolt pattern on those wheels ?, they are cool looking!!

Offline Pipes

• http://
More Wheel Choices
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 01:52:31 PM »
Nice! I love-em!  If I had the $$ I'd want them :)
Trying for low, show & go

1967 Beetle

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
More Wheel Choices
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 01:59:54 PM »
Matt, Those are the best looking wheel on that car yet! maybe we can come up with a way to make them work?

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
More Wheel Choices
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 02:06:29 PM »
Just think as to how it will look when the louvers are gone!! Looks good Matt. How about some wire wheels?

Stephan Schmidt

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 02:22:26 PM »
Just think as to how it will look when the louvers are gone!! Looks good Matt.
yah...take out the louvers.  WHEELS ARE HAWT!!!!

Matt

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 06:34:33 PM »
Ya, ya ...I know. If I wasn't so busy workin on other cars I might find time to do that. It is on the \"to do\" list though.

Those wheels only come in the one offset. and a type 3 beam can't be narrowed, they use a torsion bar suspension, like the rear of a type 1.  Unless I had torsion bars made up to fit a narrowed t3 beam.....

I heard a rumor that there is a guy in the Vancouver area that has a set of these he was able to mount to his Notch, but he welded on a type 1 framehorn and is using a type 1 narrowed beam. Sounds pretty trick.

Stephan Schmidt

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 07:10:03 PM »

I heard a rumor that there is a guy in the Vancouver area that has a set of these he was able to mount to his Notch, but he welded on a type 1 framehorn and is using a type 1 narrowed beam. Sounds pretty trick.
DO IT MATT!

be original!

Stephan

Matt

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2004, 08:46:36 PM »
Um....read that again. Someone has already done it. Would make me unoriginal.

Maybe I'll just run what I got.

Matt

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2004, 09:08:37 PM »
However this is original.......makes me think......

Offline silas

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2004, 01:01:34 AM »
how about narrowing the wheels themselves? if they narrow from the outside, the offset would work and there shouldnt be any rubbing on the fender. maybe??

are those 5.5 or 6\"s? see if greens can cut em and narrow them to 4 or 4.5\"

i think dave conklin runs american racing mags on his 67 and got his narrowed.

i wasnt too sure if you could narrow a notch beam, just thought i'd throw it out there. i'm not verry t3 savvy.  

Stephan Schmidt

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2004, 01:27:10 PM »
how about narrowing the wheels themselves? if they narrow from the outside, the offset would work and there shouldnt be any rubbing on the fender. maybe??

are those 5.5 or 6"s? see if greens can cut em and narrow them to 4 or 4.5"

i think dave conklin runs american racing mags on his 67 and got his narrowed.

i wasnt too sure if you could narrow a notch beam, just thought i'd throw it out there. i'm not verry t3 savvy.
yah, good idea.  this was my first suggestion.

There are probably not 1 or 2 things in the entire aircooled world that someone hasn't tried already.   I know of a few people that aren't on the forums and don't go to shows with that beautiful aircooleds.  

Stephan

Matt

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2004, 06:14:27 PM »
They were 4.5's already. thought about shaving some off the inside of the wheel, but that might be a bit hairy. If I took 1/4\" off it would only leave about 1/4\" of bolt hole thickness. I was looking at a t3 beam today...contemplating....

Offline silas

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2004, 06:52:19 PM »
There are probably not 1 or 2 things in the entire aircooled world that someone hasn't tried already.   I know of a few people that aren't on the forums and don't go to shows with that beautiful aircooleds.  

what???

Offline notchback

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2004, 08:28:00 PM »
Its not a rumor!!! Its a true thing. I put a beetle ball joint frame head on my notch floorpan so I could run a 3 inch narrowed beam. Unfortunately it is still in the build stage. The wheels matt has are chevy bolt pattern and offset, thats why they wont fit easily. I have American Racings wheels as well but mine started out as 7's and I had the fronts narrowed to 5.5 but they are in the porsche pattern which the offset is to the inside so it made it easier to fit. I guess Matt and I will be brothers with the wheel and car combo!!
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences

Matt

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2004, 10:17:25 PM »
I guess Matt and I will be brothers with the wheel and car combo!!
I don't think I am going to go this route. It is however the nicest wheel I have seen on the notch but I am too far into the project to go back and modify the beam/framehead. Unless of course you want to sell your pan ;)  ;)  

Matt

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2004, 10:19:07 PM »
I'd like too see some pics of it though, it sounds killer.

Offline notchback

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2004, 10:19:11 PM »
Geoff tried to get me to let it go for ya, but i will eventually get it finished this year. Hopefully late summer.
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences

Offline notchback

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2004, 10:20:47 PM »
I'll try but I'm sure you'll see it one of these days as I'll probably get you to do some finishing metal work and final prep for it. As I suck at that stuff. Just put me on the waiting list
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Matt

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2004, 10:21:49 PM »
If your plans change anytime soon with the car, you know who's door to knock on. I'm about to put my Notch away for a while anyway, I need the space for all the work I have lined up, but I hope to bring it back around Sept/Oct and concentrate on it over the winter.

Matt

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2004, 10:23:12 PM »
I'll try but I'm sure you'll see it one of these days as I'll probably get you to do some finishing metal work and final prep for it. As I suck at that stuff. Just put me on the waiting list
OK. your on. I'm sure I'll see ya soon and we can make arrangements.

Offline notchback

More Wheel Choices
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2004, 10:24:36 PM »
I'm sure that I'll keep everything but I'm lacking that extra hunk of cash right now to finish it. I have the paint and primer ready but its just a little bit of finishing stuff thats left. Hopefully in mid spring I'll try and get it done the reassemble the beast.
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Offline thrasherbill

• http://www.volksrods.com/id103.htm
More Wheel Choices
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2004, 12:13:03 AM »
I gotta agree those are the best looking wheels for your (read...JEN'S) car yet! check out ghia specialties, John Kelly's shop in Seattle. He does crazy fender flaring, not the crazy disco 70's style but nice subtle curves. All done with stretching and shrinking metal. Then you could tuck those in real nice.

ThrasheR
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 12:16:17 AM by thrasherbill »
Screw preservation... hand me that Sawzall!

CLICK.

Pinhead Lounge

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
More Wheel Choices
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2004, 12:01:21 PM »
I'm gonna throw this into the mix....  From the pictures it looks like it is the tires that would be rubbing.  Are we missing the easy solution by just going to a different tire combination?  They make so damn many tire varieties now that you should be able to find something to fit.  On a different note SlammedBus and I are looking into narrowing beams already.  We have a couple type 3 beams here, we'll look into it.  Sounds like a challenge. :wacko:  
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window