Author Topic: Baja.....humbug.....rails And Buggies  (Read 8753 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• http://
Baja.....humbug.....rails And Buggies
« on: August 15, 2005, 05:12:39 PM »
Glad to see this here....... B) .......So Lets get aquainted...............I am Bill ( as in hillbilly  :D ) I have a hillbilly buggy .These were built in Coquitlam in the 60's as far as I know .The body I have is refered to the "broken back desighn" the body was made for the buggies with bus rear ends ( wirth reduction boxes ) this kept the rear body level when at ride hight...........unfourtionatly  with a stock rear end they look funny.Slopes towards the back................let me tell you I wish it was not that way cause as you know them thar reduction boxes are a pain in the rearend ....so to speak.I bought my buggy 18 or so years ago for the past 10 years it has not been driven.............sad sad sad it's true.but lately I have been getting some work done on it so just maybe next year I will be able to drive it.Maybe.......so who are you and what do you drive..............................................BILL...................
If any won of yew can tell me how to ewes spell cheque please let me no.....:o)

Offline LIQUID

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 03:56:38 PM »
hey bill . i'm dwane . i have a 74 baja that isn't quite finished yet (but it hasn't stopped me from playing up at stave lake) and a broken sandrail i haven't driven since i got into baja's . i also have a 78 westy , 86 golf and a 99 ford f-450 tow truck . i don't have much left to do to complete the baja . i got a raised front beam from rustybus that i still have to put in and i have to mount all the fenders and hood . it has a 1776 dualport with a webber two barrel progressive crab and 33" mudders on the rear .

Offline 68IIIbuggy

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 07:56:48 PM »
Jacob from Lasqueti here. The list:

Tube frame buggy on 68 T3 pan w/ 1600 and bus trans
65 bus
66 bug
83 diesel vanagon
74 BMW R75/6
59 GMC 5 ton flatdeck
70 Chev 1 ton stepside pickup
67 Dodge schoolbus
The list could go on and on........and does. :P  :rolleyes:  

Offline drivingbluebaja

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 01:51:48 PM »
hi,
i'm mark and I have a 62 baja bug with gear reduction boxes. It's got 30s
on the back with room for 33s. 1600 sp with 2 barrel zenith 32ndix carb and a s&s header. fun little car on the street and off. I can't wait for the rainy weather so I can find some mud.
1969  Savanna beige autostick beetle (being converted to 4 speed), 1960 Ceramic green deluxe beetle

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 12:15:33 PM »
hey bill . i'm dwane . i have a 74 baja that isn't quite finished yet (but it hasn't stopped me from playing up at stave lake) and a broken sandrail i haven't driven since i got into baja's . i also have a 78 westy , 86 golf and a 99 ford f-450 tow truck . i don't have much left to do to complete the baja . i got a raised front beam from rustybus that i still have to put in and i have to mount all the fenders and hood . it has a 1776 dualport with a webber two barrel progressive crab and 33" mudders on the rear .
hey dwane sounds like your into vw's.....bet that tow truck has come in handy....what type of rail? is it in pieces or just broken?you live in ....burnaby...what part....did you make the show ? It was awsome lots of real nice cars there.....kinda kickin myself for not putting my buggy in unfinished or not.....maybe next year iI will be able to enter and drive it.....yea thats it next year.....thanks for the intro.........hope to see your ride one day here......cheers......Bill......stave lake.....you ever need a co pilot...... ;)  

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 12:28:53 PM »
hi,
i'm mark and I have a 62 baja bug with gear reduction boxes. It's got 30s
on the back with room for 33s. 1600 sp with 2 barrel zenith 32ndix carb and a s&s header. fun little car on the street and off. I can't wait for the rainy weather so I can find some mud.
Hey mark hows the Island life.......lots of places over there to go offroading I bet.So do you know what year reduction boxes you have????I under stand there are quite a few to cover the few years they had them..some thing about the 56 ( thats what I have ) that makes parts hard to find.but you sure cant beat the low gearing eh............and the reverse torque is alot of fun to drive.one of the things that make me not put in a stock tranny.........thanks for your intro, hope to get more of you guys (off roaders) telling us about their rides........can you post pic's ?......thanks again Bill

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 12:47:16 PM »
Jacob from Lasqueti here. The list:

Tube frame buggy on 68 T3 pan w/ 1600 and bus trans
65 bus
66 bug
83 diesel vanagon
74 BMW R75/6
59 GMC 5 ton flatdeck
70 Chev 1 ton stepside pickup
67 Dodge schoolbus
The list could go on and on........and does. :P  :rolleyes:
Yakovich..............greek for Jacob I think........how are you? so how big is your island...how many people ?..do you have much for roads etc.? not that ya need them eh! you have a school bus??? is there a school? got any photo's?..........thanks for the intro..........Bill.........not really a hillbilly... :unsure: .......

Offline Silverblade

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 10:15:37 PM »
Names Carson and I picked up a sandrail a few months ago and im in over my head :blink:
1600dp w/ webber 2 barrel, 5 rib bus tranny with reduction boxes, 31" paddles, stinger, racing buckets, 5 points, 1 rear bus brake assembly, 1 rear bug brake assembly, no front brakes, no e brake, RS5000s

Liquid: post up some details on your rail :)

...kicking myself for not trailering her to the show, but damn inspired by it.

Offline 68IIIbuggy

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 08:10:37 PM »
Lasqueti Island: 50 miles nw of Van. Dirt roads, no car ferry. 12 miles long, 3 miles wide. About 400 people in the winter, more in summer. My schoolbus lives on Van. Isl, and is camperized and has a wood stove. I bought it with the idea that it would be cool to travel in. Gets 10mpg and has a top speed of 50mph, so mostly it sits in my aunt's yard, and acts as my bedroom when I'm on the "big" island.

Offline lizard

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 07:49:53 PM »
:rockon:

Its about time we got a baja/buggy section.

I have a 69 baja I bought off of an asshole here. ( :D jokein jim)

1835,dual webers,009,kyb's, Sway race axles,5rib trans. winch

james.

Offline GRK

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 11:13:16 PM »
Sandrail
 Razor back on fronts, Paddles on rear, steering break,disc's rear, 1914 with kadrons(thxs Hansk)
One of A few railers on Air speed. :rockon:  :mullet:  

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 10:15:07 PM »
Names Carson and I picked up a sandrail a few months ago and im in over my head :blink:
1600dp w/ webber 2 barrel, 5 rib bus tranny with reduction boxes, 31" paddles, stinger, racing buckets, 5 points, 1 rear bus brake assembly, 1 rear bug brake assembly, no front brakes, no e brake, RS5000s

Liquid: post up some details on your rail :)

...kicking myself for not trailering her to the show, but damn inspired by it.
Hi Carson   quick grab a straw and put it in your mouth look up...don't breath in through your nose!!!!  <_< eventualy it will get better...sounds like a nice rail allready! Maybe you coud post some pic's yourself if you can . how wide are the paddles? tell me more about your back brakes.............I had a hard time finding my backing plates.....I have heard of useing bug. brakes and would be nice to have the slave cyl. away from the bottom but don't know how it would work. as far as no e brake whoa nellie ..........I would be carrying an anchor with me.... :) hey we are growing in numbers here :lol:  :lol: more to come I am sure thanks for the intro..........Bill........

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 10:31:07 PM »
:rockon:

Its about time we got a baja/buggy section.

I have a 69 baja I bought off of an asshole here. ( :D jokein jim)

1835,dual webers,009,kyb's, Sway race axles,5rib trans. winch

james.

pleased to meet you James.......looks like a fun Baja It is nice to have this eh couldn't believe how easy it was to get LOL these guys are great .........just ask...........and presto some four armed guy that scratches his balls gets it done..........or possibly gets some one else to get it done......oh oh I could be in trouble here.................................... :rolleyes: so jims a friend of yours...................................nice that he got you into  that ride.I have had 3 over the past 30 years and have gone some amazind places 4X4's look out!!!so your new on the forums huh.. :blink: ..I could tell.you looked a bit green... :blush: ....hey is he givin me the finger?...........thanks for the intro ...post more pics of the winch mount area ( I am looking for some Ideas)for my buggy..........cheers....Bill...........

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 10:50:00 PM »
Sandrail
 Razor back on fronts, Paddles on rear, steering break,disc's rear, 1914 with kadrons(thxs Hansk)
One of A few railers on Air speed. :rockon:  :mullet:
so ya got any pics you want to share ..............maybe a name...... :P ...GRK is not a easy one to pronounce...........but we can work with it........welcome aboard the off road forum GRK....tell us a bout your rail where do you go  with it post pics if you can thanks again ...Bill..... ;) .

Offline GRK

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2005, 10:18:52 AM »
Sandrail
One of A few railers on Air speed. :rockon:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 10:22:45 AM by GRK »

Offline Hansk

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2005, 11:06:34 AM »
WOW, when did this little forum show up?
I'm one of the guys that goes down to Oregon
with GRK . Got a 50% share in a 4 seat fugative.
Who would build a sand rail in B.C. ?  There's no
sand in B.C. :wacko:

Believe us , it's worth the drive :rockon:  
Big fat black fastback

Offline ScreamnStroker

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 09:57:58 PM »
Screamin Stroker sees this please post some of my picts.:
Here is a picture of Gary's (GRK) rail  at Honeyman 2005

________________________________________________________________________________
Heres a shot of my rail doing a Wheelie

And another

« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 10:10:41 PM by ScreamnStroker »

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005, 10:01:24 PM »
WOW, when did this little forum show up?
I'm one of the guys that goes down to Oregon
with GRK . Got a 50% share in a 4 seat fugative.
Who would build a sand rail in B.C. ?  There's no
sand in B.C. :wacko:

Believe us , it's worth the drive :rockon:
Well I bet that sure is fun down there in the dunes.Would like to do that one day..Due to some bad choices when I was young I can not go to the US.......does mexico have sand dunes ?  :lol: We may not have sand dunes but we have trees lots of em....been cutting roads through them for years...nothing more exciting than whipping down them at 90 plus  one wrong move and your toast....find one that has not been used for years that is alot of fun.follow a pipe line or power line.its all fun .............Doesn't the sand get boring ? is there mud ?  post more pics guys... <_< ......maybe we should call our rails bush buggies  not sand rails  :unsure:  

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2005, 10:12:19 PM »
Sandrail
One of A few railers on Air speed. :rockon:

Offline ScreamnStroker

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 08:34:15 AM »
Very nice buggy...........looks like you need some wieght in the front end.....you got hellium in them thar tires Gary or what. :D so do you take that in the bush?or are they more for sand?..........
Well mine, the purple one has not been out in the bush for years. Althought with a little time in changing the wheels and a few other things we could take in the bush but the sand is an alot easier ride. There is just miles and miles of sand dunes out there and always lots of fun :D  I like the idea that sands easier to clean off than mud :P  Its always fun side stepping the clutch and feeling your wheels lift off the ground and pull a wheelie off the top of the hill  :D  :D  :D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 08:35:51 AM by ScreamnStroker »

Offline GRK

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2005, 09:46:21 PM »
Never get tired of the Sand it's a blast !
Miles of beach, lots of bush trails, streams you can follow (if you don't mind water up to your seats) Huge hills don't know what's more fun going up or down ? When you come to the crest going down some are like 60 -80 Degrees straight down. Going up can get some serious air under all 4 wheels !
As for off road I've never had mine in the bush alway's wanted to ! All I have to do is change tires. A neighbour used to take his up to the CoQahalla all the time very proven in the bush, now it's just for sand and he 4x4s off road rock climbing. No one local to ride with a rail.
AT night rides are great, but when the dunes all blend together.
 you get lost. Your lost for hours and some run out of gas searching for campers on the dunes to borrow some gas right taylor ?
Ps thxs for the pict Taylor!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 09:50:04 PM by GRK »

Offline ScreamnStroker

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2005, 02:19:07 PM »
you get lost. Your lost for hours and some run out of gas searching for campers on the dunes to borrow some gas right taylor ?

SHHHH!!!! I thought i had filled that tank up!!! but i guess i didnt -_-  <_<

A few times in the dunes at night you can get turned around..  One time we were out there till like 1 am we were soo lost.. At the time I was only 13 and no one wanted to listen to my directions... well they should have because I could have got them home!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Some of us have now invested in GPS'

Taylor
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 02:21:33 PM by ScreamnStroker »

Offline Hansk

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2005, 09:57:29 PM »
Side hills are not a problem(if they are not too steep) with light front ends, just use the stearing brakes.  Buggying in the bush or mud or sand or .... anywhere could never be boring. :rockon:  
Big fat black fastback

Offline ScreamnStroker

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2005, 11:01:04 AM »
Heres a picture of us doing a Doughnut on the top of a GIANT dune... Look close and you will be able to see the buggy. It makes a pretty big rooster tail  :P

Offline BajaJoe66

Re: Baja.....humbug.....rails And Buggies
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 11:32:15 PM »
Hey,   

My name is Joe.  I am new to Vancouver Island.  I have a '66 Baja on a '72 pan.  It has a 1776 and an 091 trans.  I have 31's in the front and 33's in the back.  I also have a whole bunch of lights and little fun extras.  I have a mud buggy with 34's on the back and 31's in the front.   Powered by a 1600 single port.  It has a busted swing axle trans and no brakes at all.  But it was alot of fun before the trans went.  I am collecting parts to make it an IRS.  I also have a single person rail based on a Honda Odessy frame.  All wheel independent suspension.  I have a 440 Bombardier sled motor in it right now, but I bought a CBR 600 motor to put in it.  Need some ideas on how to make that switch work right.

If I knew how to put pictures up I would.

Thanks.

Offline Shiftie

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 11:11:44 AM »
Hey guys!

My name is Brad, I have a Manx style fiberglass dune buggy on a 65 pan. It's all torn apart right now and I'm in the process of a full rebuild. I'm pretty sure it has a 1200 sp but since my grandfather and his buddies built 4 of them in the late 60's theres no telling what parts were traded around. I'll eventually check serial numbers to be sure. 

Offline Hansk

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 06:59:37 AM »
Welcome guys!  Post some pics if ya can.
Big fat black fastback

Offline GRK

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 10:32:02 PM »
Welcome guys!  Post some pics if ya can.

Ditto what he said!

Gary