Author Topic: Type Iii Rotary  (Read 2443 times)

Offline vicelore

Type Iii Rotary
« on: June 07, 2004, 01:10:17 AM »
hello all, My names Andrew and im after some info. I am 19 years old and really interested in the thought of building a custom car. i currently drive a 1989 honda prelude, but want a project car. i really like the look of the type 3 volkswagens.The reason i like those cars is becuase a bloke round the corner from me has one and i think it looks really tuff. I also like the thought of having the engine in the back like a porsche. i dont reallly know whether this will be a good thing performance wise because i was hoping to get good performance out of whatever engine i put in the car. Aside from always wanting a porsche i have always had a thing for rotary engines. So my first thoughts where mmmm a tuff looking volkswagen with a chicken cooker in the boot hehe . but as i said this will be my first Suild and dont really know much about the type 3 so any info pics ,comments would be great Thanks heaps Andrew.

Offline Chris

• Car.
Type Iii Rotary
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 07:24:31 AM »
I have seen advertisements for an adaptor to fit a rotary engine to a beetle transmission. I am sure I could find the ad again but why!? Then it wouldn't be an air-cooled VW ?! But if you do want it I will look it up.

Chris

..............and welcome to the forums!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 07:25:11 AM by 1976BUS »

Offline Pipes

• http://
Type Iii Rotary
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 07:32:20 AM »
Type 3's are definately wicked cool cars.  I don't know what your price range is but you should know, parts are much harder to find for type 3's than Type 1's, but when your done you have quite a rare cool car.  Also its probably simpler to build up the stock motor in the Type 3 than to go into a rotary conversion.  If your up to the challenge I say Go for the coversion!  No better way to learn than to just try!  :rockon:  
Trying for low, show & go

1967 Beetle

Offline HeliMike

Type Iii Rotary
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 08:26:28 AM »
Well I don't know how much fab experience you have but keep in mind this is not a project for the beginner. I'm currently working and planning on something along the same lines but I'm using a 1.8L 8v from a GTI into a 68 Bug. If you're serious about doing it check out this site:

http://www.geocities.com/zenjoe/vw.html

You should keep in mind that a stock VW trans (to my knowledge) doesn't like 6000 + rpm's that an RX is capable of so be ready to dump some moolah into a tranny build as well as the $500+ for the adapter and the motor,rad fuel lines,coolant lines etc. Running the coolant lines will also be a big undertaking as well. Personally, being your age and limited knowledge build yourself a good air-cooled and start with that but that's just my 2 cents.
Not to mention every time you say you have a watercooled in an aircooled the purists will flame the hell out of ya! :P  
Good luck!.... Mike
67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline Scratchy

• http://scratchy.kicks-ass.net
Type Iii Rotary
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 12:39:42 PM »
Hey GutterSlug, my neighbor has the exact same conversion you are doing, sitting in his driveway - complete.
I'm sure he would let you have a look at it to get some ideas.

His name is Boost_Retard on this forum.

-= Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room! =-

Offline vicelore

Type Iii Rotary
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 04:13:21 AM »
thanks guys i have found seen a conversion plate for these at http://www.kennedyeng.com/ if thats the one u are talkin about . i apreciate your thaughts but i am really keen to do this. i really need info. on the things that us think will be the hardest. Some more detailed info on the negative thaughts of the project would be usefull. And also any things i should look out for when im lookin for when im shoppin for a type III would be helpfull too. thanks guys

Offline vicelore

Type Iii Rotary
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 07:52:08 AM »
gutter slug u said that a stock tranny couldnt handle a rotary engine. but then left a great link with a car using that setup  :wacko: .  

Offline HeliMike

Type Iii Rotary
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 08:42:19 AM »
gutter slug u said that a stock tranny couldnt handle a rotary engine. but then left a great link with a car using that setup  :wacko: .
You should keep in mind that a stock VW trans (to my knowledge) doesn't like 6000 + rpm's ..........

Notice I said to my knowledge.

Give it a shot... see how ya make out.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 08:52:17 AM by Gutterslug »
67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline Scratchy

• http://scratchy.kicks-ass.net
Type Iii Rotary
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 10:09:50 PM »
Vicelore,

Type 3's are quite a bit heavier than beetles (that's why they absolutely RULE in the snow).
Rotary Engines are great for high RPM's but have squat as far as torque goes.
You want a Type IV motor with gobs of torque to twist the axles of your Type III.

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/index.shtml

I'm not saying it won't work, just that you would prolly be happier with a torquer motor.
If you've never ridden in a beetle with a stroker motor, heads and dual carbs, then you
don't know what you're missing. Even the Type 1 motor makes oodles of torque compared
to the Rotary.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 09:35:46 AM by Scratchy »

-= Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room! =-

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
Type Iii Rotary
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 07:27:42 AM »
I have the cross engine mouunt fabbed up for a T4 engine. Mounts into bumper holes. Also the shrouding from a 411 station wagen so that it will work for the cool air on a T3. LEt me know if you go this way.  
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline vicelore

Type Iii Rotary
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 08:24:28 PM »
thanks alot guys