Author Topic: 1ST TIMER  (Read 2310 times)

Offline BOINK

1ST TIMER
« on: August 22, 2011, 10:45:40 AM »
Hello I'm first time owner of a VW.I bought the reto bug off of pudge on this forum for my son and I to build for my daughter to drive[my wife seen right through that reason].Though it has been sitting since 1992 we were able to have it running and driving in about 3 hours,after unsticking the valves on the fuel pump and replacing about 6 inches of blocked furl line.The rear tires were completely shot so we drove on steel tread.When I went to get new tires the kid looked at the front ones and told me they were older than him and the tire  sizing had changed since then so I got 4 new skinny tires for it.The brake line to the rear had a hole in it and dump fluid on the insided of the car so I replaced it.Now my next adventure is the brakes I bled all of them out and some times they hang up a little so I pulled off the master cylinder and cleaned it [there was a little rust in one spot and some of the wholes were plugged].I put it all back together and bled they turned fine until I really stepped on them hard hard and they drag a little if I pop the break line open a little at the master cylinder they relax off.I am thinking master cylinder they are front disc also what is the torque on the back axle nut so I can take the drum off.

any advice is welcome
                                THANX LANCE  
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:48:35 AM by BOINK »
Proud owner of a rusty rag

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
Re: 1ST TIMER
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 10:51:29 AM »
Rear axle nut Torque is 220lbs (by memory).

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline BOINK

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 10:53:23 AM »
Thank you DAVE
Proud owner of a rusty rag

Offline Bruce

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 11:21:28 AM »
....they drag a little if I pop the break line open a little at the master cylinder they relax off......
Your brake pedal pushrod has no clearance.  There must be some freeplay between it and the MC.  Adjust the stop bracket on the floor, not the length of the pushrod.

The second possibility could be your brake hoses are plugged.  With age, the ID collapses, preventing the fluid from returning when you take your foot off the pedal.