General Forums > Member's VW's

Jim Martin

<< < (80/80)

jim martin:
Well here we go , the last of the above topics will get
Covered as we go along .
Clutch and ECMS .
 Step number 1 was pull motor and remove clutch and flywheel.
4 hrs later it’s on the floor

jim martin:
Well since my last post lots has happen and like many I’ve just not been into it .
 Due to Covid ,like many I have just stepped back and focused on more important things in life .
- anyway motor was pulled out to inspect clutch. And while it was out I eventually figured might as well
Open it up and inspect it , I really did not want to but why not had some time.
Up and into the stand and started the disassembly and inspection.
First inspection I was pleased . Wow , bearings and internals looking great .
Was thinking maybe a quickly cylinder hone and some rings and slap it back together.

Well I was feeling real good until o started cleaning and under closer inspection, bingo #3 intake lifter just starting to flake but #1 perfect, go figure.

Closer look at cam and you can see a issue just starting as well.

I was not happy at all as this cam has been rolling along for some time without any major debris showing in the filter. , so this was quite recent .
Anyway , there was some things I have been putting off for a long time .
Swapping my ARPM heads that are very old , tired and in need of some love
To be replaced with my old set of comp eliminators left over from my nitrous days.
This is not just a easy swap .but one that needs doing just for strength and better head seal.
And hopefully more potential reliability.remember the old ARPM heads turned into superflo and were then copied as comp eliminators,  which means inlet manifolds And exhaust port location are the same.
My #1 issue in the past for not doing this is engine width and the issues that go along with it . My current exhaust system is a specific width and Really cannot be altered without a lot of work , anything I would do will change turbo location and header output position.
Let the calculations begin by first seeing if this is going to be even possible .
I made a tool that allowed me to accurately measure the old engine width from centerline to the top outer exhaust stud .
Once I had that figure I loaded my new head in place and took the new width measurement.
So Using a combination of altering deck height , piston compression height and head depth I should able to obtain my engine width and also keep my engine compression the same or in my case up a few fun points .
With all the potential calculations checked double checked and triple checked it was time to move fwd .

Now like I said I was so not into this as you have no idea how much time and energy as well as resources this was about to take , I have some photos as I was not focussed on this but more keeping it rolling along . I’ll dig up what I have put some numbers up and get to where I’m now in a nutshell

jim martin:

You get the idea . Like I said low on photos but have a few . Using the aluminum square
And my sliding block that sat flush on the alternator and located of the block centre line I was able to come up with a width.
ARPM block Pauter cyl and ARPM head = 10 15/16”
ARPM block Pauter cyl and Comp Eliminator head = 11 5/16”
So difference of 3/8” = 9.53mm or .375”

Yep got some width to loose .
Now the old motor had basically no head chamber 26cc and massive deck around
.1650” so you see you can make power without tight quench .
But this time I want to swap it .
Tighter deck and combustion in the head chamber .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version