Author Topic: Generator To Alternator ?  (Read 1208 times)

Offline thecarguy

Generator To Alternator ?
« on: August 20, 2007, 09:08:49 PM »
Hey guys .  So my generator pulley blew into a hundred pieces the other day . I got a new pulley from CIP and installed it . I got about 40 kms down the road and the bearings in the generator started to get noisey as hell . I pulled into the inlaws place and sure enough there were metal filings all over the engine bay . The car has a 1600 DP . I just picked up two parts cars and they both have the 1600DP also . One looks to be about a 69 or seventy with a generator also , but the other is a 74 I think . The 74 has an alternator on it . My question is , can I just pull the alternator , stand and fan from the parts car and install it in my good car ? I know that I have to rewire for an alternator and get rid of the regulator , but is there anything else that I should know or do before I start ripping apart my driver ?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers me !!

Cory

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 06:58:52 AM »
Not DVKK but yes, it's pretty well bolt on, you may need to change the fuel pump as well and the accelerator pump linkage may bind on the alternator. If your carb has the adjuster facing forwards it wont but if it faces rear you need to do a bit of grinding/bending.

The alternator might be an internal regulator model (1 big wire and 1 small) or external reg. (1 big and a round plug) you'll need the reg. from the donor for that one. There's a diagram here somewhere, search the tech section.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline thecarguy

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 03:18:31 PM »
Thanks for the info , after much searching and reading many different how to articles , I have it up and running . It is surprising how many conversion write ups there are and how few of them cover the conversion that I did  :blink:  . I converted from a generator with an external regulator , to an alternator with an external regulator . All the articles that I found were on the internally regulated alternator . I only used the externally regulated one because it was on my parts car . All worked out in the end though  :rockon:

Cory