Author Topic: Long Distance Bus  (Read 5747 times)

Offline OUTKAST

Long Distance Bus
« on: January 20, 2004, 01:32:09 PM »
:) red snapper insisted i get on board ,been out of the loop to long .been into the vw scenesince 84 16 volkswagens so far. current ride last 6 years 57 kombi unrestored just made driveable ,lack of space and money for rebuild right now soon as i figure out how to load a photo i will computer challenged is the correct term i guess

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
Long Distance Bus
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 02:08:05 PM »
Moose, welcome! its good to see another Thunderbug!

CHEECH

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 04:54:12 PM »
WOW Thunderbugs, I have`nt heard that since I was buying pats from CIP when they were on kingsway probably around 15 years ago.My friends neighbour Art was part of the thunderbugs.He has a really nice late 50`s conv Ghia in his garage waiting to be finished.

cheers shawn

Offline Hansk

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 06:42:16 PM »
Wecome outkast!  You wouldn't be from the Salmon arm area?

Bugsmell!  I remember Art!  I also remember that ghia. Is it finished now?
If you ever see art say hello from old Hans from the thunder bug days.
Big fat black fastback

Offline OUTKAST

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 03:18:55 AM »
Salmon Arm was a good guess!Are thunderbug members considered old school now. Curiuos about Tony hill , is he still around . will try to get some current photos of bus done on weekend  best find garage sailing this year was 3/4 lenght roofrack for bus, was scabbed on to 84 chevy crewcab pickup 40$ Another 200$ and he would have given me the truck.  

Red snapper give me a call fri  Or try e- mailing me ,working !@#$%* afternoon shifts right now

CHEECH

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 08:27:26 AM »
Hey Outkast welcome,

last year i moved to maple ridge right across the street from Tony Hill. two weeks later there was a 4-sale sign in his front yard.He took me for a tour through his garage, WOW that guy has some serious stuff.before he moved to the island he sold alot of his stuff including his dyno :( .

Hi Hans, I saw Art last night. I will say hi for sure,no unfortunatly the ghia is still in his garage completly stripped sitting under a bunch of stuff including a canoe   :o

shawn

Offline red snapper

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 09:31:18 AM »
Salmon Arm, is that near the Alberta border? Just kidding Marty. Hey bugsmell, is your friends ghia for sale? I was in Thunderbugs for quite some time and Im trying to figure out who Art is. Hans?

CHEECH

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 09:42:50 AM »
Hey Red,

I dont think his Ghia is for sale.Art is a short guy that works for tellus,really nice guy, sure knows alot about VW`s thats for sure.Hans might know more about him than i do.I usually talk to him when he comes over to cales to see what`s going on when we are out messin with the bugs.

shawn  

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Long Distance Bus
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2004, 10:13:15 AM »
Cameron Shorey is also on here and a ex thunderbug member. Speak up Cam.
If any of the old Thunderbugs have pic's from back in the day please post them for the new generation to see, There were some nice cars in that club back in the day.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 10:15:18 AM by Gkafer »

Offline red snapper

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 11:39:37 AM »
Salmon Arm was a good guess!Are thunderbug members considered old school now. Curiuos about Tony hill , is he still around . will try to get some current photos of bus done on weekend  best find garage sailing this year was 3/4 lenght roofrack for bus, was scabbed on to 84 chevy crewcab pickup 40$ Another 200$ and he would have given me the truck.  

Red snapper give me a call fri  Or try e- mailing me ,working !@#$%* afternoon shifts right now
Marty, I dont think Thunderbugs are considered \"old school\" Just OLD!

Offline OUTKAST

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 01:04:11 PM »
Snapper, Old isn't what I was LOOKING fOR, old school usually means that it is now considered cool, retro Thunderbugs was a pretty 70's name .Hans do you remember who came up with the name.Thanks for the update on tony hil
Anybody know what happened to Doug giesbrecht ,He was the one I credit for getting me hooked on busses. Would be neat to find old club listings ,Have some thunderbug photos kicking around ,might take a while but might try to get some scanned into my OLD computer .GOTTO go make some cash to pay the bills  talk later
OUTKAST

Offline Cameron

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004, 01:05:17 PM »
I occasionally look at the AirSpeed Forum, but mostly have been lurking.
Hello Marty, Geoff, Shawn, Brian, Hans, Art and all you other old timers, who maybe lurking also. Marty it was good to see you in Seattle.
I have some pics from the old days, but have not scanned them yet. Think about this, Thunderbugs was incorporated in 1978, and the club had been around for a few years before that. \"Old\" is correct!
Cameron

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline OUTKAST

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004, 01:10:29 PM »
HI Cam hope to see you again soon ,along with the rest of you.Hey Snapper if you can post those pics I e-mailed you put them on this topic. Check back later

Offline red snapper

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2004, 01:36:41 PM »
Sorry OUTKAST, but my computer skills are very limited. Maybe I can forward these picture to someone else to post.If you dont mind. I especially like the one of you in the tube top!!!!!!! :lol: Brian

Offline OUTKAST

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2004, 02:46:49 PM »
:huh: I thought you got the one with the thong snapper . Go ahead and see about getting those CLEAN photos on . The 86 GTI has the newer bumper skins and lowered suspension , my temporary wheels till I decide what to haul the family around in, possibly a jetta

Offline Hansk

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2004, 07:16:57 PM »
Hey , Good to hear from ya .......\"outkast\"  I met Doug Giesbrecht at
the GCVWS last summer!  He's living in Alberta somewhere north
of Calgary. He still has a ghia I believe he said.  Art had a 71/ 72ish (I think)blue std bug , big motor , one of
the faster cars of the time I recall. 1980ish that would have been.

bugsmell, is this Shawn S. of red 67 fame?

Anyone remember Sylvester(orange super) ? I still remember him doing dounuts at some of the local slolums . Seemed like at least once during an event he'd screw up a corner then just stand on it creating instant valve float and a cloud of tire smoke and 2 or 3 dounuts. Had every one cheering. those were the days!

Hello Cam!!  I'm going to make me and ed's one of these days.
Big fat black fastback

CHEECH

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2004, 09:06:32 AM »
No sorry Hans I just used to buy my bug parts from CIP years ago and allways dreamed of becoming part of the thunderbugs though

shawn

btw I havn`t seen Art yet but when i do i will tell him to look up the forums.

Offline red snapper

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2004, 09:22:37 AM »
Hey Hans, the person your refering to is Shawn S, also another thunderbug. He goes by shashimo. Hes on the forum now and then.

Offline Hansk

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2004, 11:13:05 AM »
Ah Ha - different Shawn, .....got it.  Last I hear of Tony Hill is he's on the Island and did some eng. or trans work for a car collector guy that bought a 53 split  from a friend of mine. This collector also bought Tony's drag car.
Marty, I wasn't in the thunderbugs at thier start.(I'm not that old :lol:  ) Probably 80-84ish
Big fat black fastback

Offline OUTKAST

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2004, 11:32:59 AM »
HANS I still havee a A.C.C.O.R. atuomotive sign up in my workshop,now that's a shop that's been gone for a while wich would make you older than me seeing as how I went there when I was 16 and I aint 16 anymore
What about your old gang Gordon/ graff /Reece /Gary/ and Neilson to name the ones I remember

Offline Hansk

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2004, 12:57:07 PM »
Yes I remember all you little punks hanging around that place :P .  
M.Gordon is in auto wrecking localy , F. Graff just bought a glass buggy and will join us on the Oragon dunes this march,  Reece has the ex- John Haftner Cyotte(sp?)  multi chanpionship slolom and autocross historical buggy , Gary is at CIP , P. Neilson is in Winterpeg, Corry D. has an auto service shop in Langley,  there's more I'm sure but............ :blink:

you must have one of the misprints- it was a.c.o.r.r.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 12:59:01 PM by Hansk »
Big fat black fastback

Offline Scratchy

• http://scratchy.kicks-ass.net
Long Distance Bus
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2004, 01:01:01 PM »
I occasionally look at the AirSpeed Forum, but mostly have been lurking.
Hello Marty, Geoff, Shawn, Brian, Hans, Art and all you other old timers, who maybe lurking also. Marty it was good to see you in Seattle.
I have some pics from the old days, but have not scanned them yet. Think about this, Thunderbugs was incorporated in 1978, and the club had been around for a few years before that. \"Old\" is correct!
Cameron
Here's some pictures Cameron sent me yesterday to show how \"Old\" really looks:

This is what Mission Raceway looked like back in 1977/78.
The beige beetle is \"Fritz the car\". This was even before I joined the Thunderbugs!

Art

PS. Once I get some \"old\" TB pix scanned I'll post them in the Photo Gallery.
It's nice to see the Air Cooled VW scene is still thriving after all these years!

-= Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room! =-

Offline OUTKAST

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2004, 03:19:04 PM »
Hey SRATCHY
thanks for posting those , quite a difference from then and now. Looked like quite a good turnout.looked like a couple of rails in the pictures , do you know if they were vw powered. didyou find the link for the couple of pictures i managed to have a friend post for me
hope to talk later.

http://mowser.hypermart.net/marty.htm
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 03:23:40 PM by OUTKAST »

Offline Hansk

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2004, 08:41:39 PM »
Hey Art! Is that you?  Awesome pic's !  Now I know I'm not that old because when I joined I was just a little punk and mission was already closed :D  
Big fat black fastback

Offline Scratchy

• http://scratchy.kicks-ass.net
Long Distance Bus
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2004, 08:51:57 PM »
Yes it's me but they are Cameron's pix. Mission was closed by the time I joined the club too, so I guess that makes Cameron a REAL
old-timer  ;)  Sad but true, I've never raced any vehicle at Mission Raceway. By the time it opened up again, I had sold all my AirCooled VWs.

I guess I will just have to start working on the old 58' Ghia 'vert again, and put my neighbor (69bajakid) back in his place...  B)  

-= Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room! =-

Offline Hansk

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2004, 09:03:33 PM »
Right on! Good to hear from you  Art!  You really should finish that ghia for sure!!
Big fat black fastback

CHEECH

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2004, 08:43:17 AM »
Hey Art, nice to see you on the forums. I guess you know some of these guys, kewl .[I guess I will just have to start working on the old 58' Ghia 'vert again, and put my neighbor (69bajakid) back in his place...]LOL too funny.

shawn

CHEECH

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2004, 08:46:20 AM »
BTW, is that Geoff in the bottom left corner of the pic checking out the trike :mullet:  :lol:  

shawn

Offline Cameron

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2004, 01:17:39 PM »
Art! Thanks for posting/hosting those pictures.

I took those pictures in 1977 and 1978, from the top of the Mission R/way tower. Top two pics are from 1978, the bottom two (overlapped/together) are from 1977. This was a time when flared fenders were cool. All the hot cars had flared fenders! (My car has never had flared fenders, but at that time it was not \"hot\".) Fast race cars were running in the mid 13's.

There are two rails in the bottom picture. The left one was Gene Berg's Little but Quick, but he did not own it at the time. The Berg family has since bought it back. I don't know anything about the other rail. Jim Sibley had his rail there also, but it is not in the pics. All of the rails were VW powered at the time. Sibley has since gone to Porsche power.

There was drag racing, and drag slalom. There was no swap meet. The only dealer display was from Bow Wow, with a portable picnic table with a few basic items. Bow Wow did supply the trophy plaques. There was an engine pull. I know that one group pulled an engine, and it took them the rest of the day to get it back in. The release bearing had exploded, and they only entered so they could use the tools, but it took them a long time to find another release bearing.

The new Mission Raceway's races have grown substantially over the years. I doubt that they would have time for a VW only event now.
Cameron

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline Hansk

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2004, 08:12:32 PM »
Cool pic's Cam!! Looks like a chop top bug at the right
of the last pic. also.  So how many of these events were
held?  Who owned the Berg little dragster then?   What
time's did it run?   I have many more ? but I'll leave it at that for now.
Big fat black fastback