Author Topic: 1964 Single Cab  (Read 3032 times)

Offline sdeschutter

• AirSpeed Forum Member
1964 Single Cab
« on: September 24, 2012, 03:59:46 PM »
I have been on the market for two years looking for a project and this will be my first. I started looking for pre 58 verts, but then this came along. I had one look at her and now she is mine. Not totally sure what I am going to do as far as paint, but I do know that I want to put a monster motor in. Any ideas of what she can handle as far as horses are concerned without having to do any custom structural, I want to keep the truck stock besides the running gear. I had invisioned being able to pop up the front end. Please provide suggestions, once I know what type of power I can put in then I can move on to the other areas of the drivetrain. Any ideas?
"HAVE ONE FOR THE DITCH"

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Re: 1964 Single Cab
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 04:54:57 PM »
nice rig, i'm diggin it!

as far as poppin wheelies in a type II truck...imho, it depends on how much money you have to throw at it and what your desired overall outcome is...daily driver work truck, weekend warrior, 1/4 mile only...? there are well respected local engine (kroc) & tranny builders (terry hoogstins, bruce tweddle) that might be able to help you out, aswell as lots of bus guys that could lend info too! good luck and have at 'er! i'd love to see you lift the front wheels on that bad boy! :laugh:

Offline sdeschutter

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 05:19:41 PM »
Thanks for the info. Guess I should have posted that I'm going to do all the mechanical myself.What im getting from your reply is that i can go any size. Ok well then i guess because i plan on driving it in the nice months after work and on weekends i will have to go somewhere in the middle as far as horse power. any idea what it would take to lift the front end? I'm thinking somewhere around 200.
"HAVE ONE FOR THE DITCH"

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 07:05:29 PM »
Good looking truck!

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 09:47:10 PM »
Thanks for the info. Guess I should have posted that I'm going to do all the mechanical myself.What im getting from your reply is that i can go any size. Ok well then i guess because i plan on driving it in the nice months after work and on weekends i will have to go somewhere in the middle as far as horse power. any idea what it would take to lift the front end? I'm thinking somewhere around 200.

how much hp to pull the wheels? too many variables and parts to break for me to make a guess. and as cool as it would be to see that truck do a wheelie, from the sounds of your post a tried and true engine/trans combo that will give you some power but still be reliable enough to drive and enjoy would suit your needs fine...and safe too of course...bigger motor = bigger brakes, etc...it sounds like you have a good plan for motor size...somewhere in the middle as far as hp.

very cool that you'll be doing all the mechanicals yourself. keep at it and keep the updates coming!! :cool:

Offline OUTKAST

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 09:24:03 AM »
Great another type 2 on the road : )

Offline josh

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 10:54:47 AM »
[quote any idea what it would take to lift the front end? I'm thinking somewhere around 200.
[/quote]

Build it into a tow truck with a couple hundred pounds hanging off the back and you'd be yanking the wheels with a 1200 :1rij:
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline sdeschutter

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 01:35:10 PM »
Thanks for the info boys, so I have decided to go the type 4 upright. Lots of torque and more dependable, and these babies can handle much more tweaking. Any idea where I might pick up a used type 4 engine? Any shops, wreckers, local engine builders. As you all know these engines came in the porsche 914/912 and also 72 and later buses.

"HAVE ONE FOR THE DITCH"

Offline somevwguy

• Jeff
    • strictlygerman.ca
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 02:39:30 PM »
If your set on a type IV you can make alot of power! however you can make the same power with a type I for alot less money.  research lots before you get set on a type IV, take a look at the price of performance heads, even just the up-right cooling will set you back over a grand. I'm speeking from experience I have a 2.0 type IV in my 66 bug.  If you do go for it you will be very happy, my bug will cruze at 130 all day long up hills you name it without running hot at all. check out the type 4rum on shoptalkforums.com for more info.

Offline sdeschutter

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 08:55:59 PM »
YO SOMEVWGUY i'm already on that forum, joe cali gave me the heads up. He has been pretty helpful. My concern with the type 1 is the torque and reliability of the motor being able to handle the upgrades. I'm looking to put about 200hp in the truck. If I use a 2.0L will I need a turbo to do this?
"HAVE ONE FOR THE DITCH"