Author Topic: VW enthusiast.....back on the scene  (Read 2772 times)

Offline GL-Sheila

VW enthusiast.....back on the scene
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:19:44 PM »
Hi, just a quick introduction here. My name is Alison and I've just rekindled my love for VW's. We just picked up a '69 Karmann Ghia (my dream car) with a lot of restoration work ahead of us.  Not sure where to begin but I'm sure we'll be learning lots as we go along.  Haven't had a VW since my mid 20's.  My first car was a '71 notchback which I had until I moved to Canada.  That car really sparked my interest for VW's as we went on many adventures through my college years.  I also had a fastback as a parts car for the notchy.  I returned home again for a year where I picked up another notchback (they are so cheap back home!).  I sold it to a friend and I believe it is still being used as a rally car.  (Wish I could have kept them all and brought them with me to Canada.) 

Last winter, my boyfriend and I restored a vintage vespa and had such a great time doing it that we thought we'd try our hand at something on a much larger scale. 

Yikes! Not sure what we're in for yet!  Will post some pictures as soon as we get the Ghia to our house.  I'm soooo excited!  Hope to meet some of you out and about....

Cheers, Alison
My other entrance is a porch.

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
Re: VW enthusiast.....back on the scene
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:52:12 PM »

Welcome to ASF,

You will have a lot of information here that may help.

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:26:09 AM »
Welcome. Lots of knowledgeable people on this forum. Post up some pics! Love ghias
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 05:17:24 PM »
You've come to the right place. Welcome. O0
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline vwshawn

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 07:42:53 PM »
Welcome aboard!
Shawn

Offline blarneyman

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 08:15:34 PM »
Welcome from across the line ;D Yup! They even let us yanks on here ;)
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 09:07:30 PM »
Welcome from across the line ;D Yup! They even let us yanks on here ;)

we all make mistakes....

Offline GL-Sheila

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 01:02:01 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!  Expecting to have the Ghia towed to our house over the weekend.  We're looking forward to getting started. 

I haven't had a chance to peruse the forum in depth yet, but just wondering - for the people that live in the lower mainland,  do you ever have regular meet-ups?  It would be great to meet you and see the veedubs.

Cheers, Alison

Offline GL-Sheila

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 09:22:41 AM »
The Ghia adventure begins....

Well, we went to pick up the Ghia yesterday - we rented a car trailer (thinking we could save a few bucks rather than having it towed).  My boyfriend, Mark, picked up the trailer with his truck and I met up with him on the vespa.  We already knew that the brakes were seized so the car was not exactly rolling. Also picture that the car is half in a gardenbed and half on a gravel driveway. We had managed to pick up up a pair of car dollies (yay Princess Auto) but we had forgot to put the jack in the truck - luckily, we found a small hydraulic jack in the ghia but it still was not able to lift the car high enough to place the dolly under the wheel. We both decide to drive home as it was just starting to get dark and we figured we'd need some extra supplies eg. torch (flashlight), another jack, some concrete bricks etc.  It's not too far as the car is in Port Coquitlam and we live in Maple Ridge but I didn't fancy riding the vespa in the dark as the headlight has a tendency to blow at the most inopportune moment so I wanted to get it home before dark hit.  We get home, stock up and on our way again.  By the time we get back to PoCo, it's now pitch black.  The extra jack works and we manage to get both dollies under the rear wheels.  The car still does not want to move and upon inspecting the front wheel that's stuck in the garden bed - we discover that it's flat (and of course the spare is also flat).  Mark declares that oops, he briefly thought about putting the tyre pump in the truck but promptly forgot.  We've pretty well had it by now and decide to just pull the bloody thing out of the garden bed with the truck.  After some manouvering, we get the trailer out of the way to one side, and attempt to pull the car out.  Due to our lack in unpreparedness we only have some nylon rope.  We figure it might hold if we double it up.  So now, we start pulling it - it moves about a foot but the castors on the dolly are not designed to move on anything other than smooth cement and they dig into the earth like anchors, the rope snaps.

At this point, after much cursing, we throw our hands in the air and decide to call it quits.  We take the trailer back to Langley and we get home around 1 am.

The Ghia remains in the garden bed.

We're going to get a proper tow truck to do the job because even if we got the darn thing on the trailer - it's going to be a real bugger to unload.

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 03:32:51 PM »
You guys really know how to have fun.  ;D

My wife once had to push my bug and she though it was odd and funny. Meanwhile, I was thinking that she was a keeper. :laugh:

Offline GL-Sheila

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 10:03:59 PM »
Here's a picture.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 11:03:18 PM »
Did you buy that from a lady in port coquitlam?
I remember her showing me pictures at the canadian?

If ya need any parts just let me know, Just in the middle of my fathers 71 ghia, and my 63 ghia.
Welcome to the site! O0
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 07:52:27 AM »
ASF member Liquid is the tow guy here, send him a PM.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline GL-Sheila

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 08:23:34 AM »
Yeah, the car was from PoCo - the ad was on craigslist and when we went to take a look at the car, it turns out I knew the lady selling it!  Oh, I'm sure we'll be needing a ton of parts! - Thanks, Steveo_32 - will let you know once we get started.  I guess now the real fun begins - eeek where do we start?  We ended up getting it towed last night - (I'll keep Liquid in mind for future towing...) the towtruck guy winched it onto the deck and then when we got home, the car was basically slid off.  Can't wait for the weekend to have a good look and get going (I'm wondering how long this enthusiasm is going to last?)  This is a great site for resources and everyone here is so supportive, friendly and welcoming - appreciated!  Cheers, Alison

Offline GL-Sheila

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 08:28:27 AM »
Well, we've made a start on the ghia. Mark got the seized rear brakes removed, dropped the engine and began dismantling it - need to take a good look at it as it turns over but does not run.  We've also commenced cutting out the rusty bits from the body - sheesh that nose is quite rusty and rotted - he's trying to decide if he wants to try repairing it or just replacing it altogether.  It's going to be a busy winter!

Offline GL-Sheila

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 09:44:49 PM »
Some pictures of our project....