Technical > Transmission Forum

Need A Trans?

(1/2) > >>

Bruce:
I was at a few wreckers yesterday and saw some desireable trans cores.

At Coast auto wrecking on Mitchel Island they had 3 IRS Bug trans on the shelf.  One was the superior bent rib single side cover trans.  But the guy insists that its a good trans and wants $395 for it.

At A-Part, also on Mitchel Island there was a factory 73 swing axle trans still in the car.  If you have an early car, this trans has upgrades that 68 and earlier g'boxes don't have.  Like the later guided throwout bearing, bigger pinion bearing, splined gears, etc.

They also have an 091 Bus 'box in a green 78 Westy.  Both of these are $150 each, you pull, or $275, they pull.

thrasherbill:
What is involved in putting that '73 swing into an earlier  car? Can I still use my earlier wide 5 brakes? I've been noticing some nasty noises coming from my trans lately so I might be interested.

Thanks,
ThrasheR

Geoff:
For your early car you can use one of our adapter mounts or change to a reduction box (bus trans) nose cone and hockey stick. This allows the trans to line up with your pan and shift rod. Yes your drums and brakes will fit but a spacer will be needed on the end of the drum due to the longer axle splines.

thrasherbill:
Thanks Geoff!Aproximately what kind of $$$$ would I be looking at for the adapter kit and spacers. I'm just a poor student right now :unsure:

ThrasheR

Geoff:
$20 for the adapter or less and free for the spacers as you can take them off your old trans.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version