Author Topic: Valve Cover Gasket Leakage  (Read 1449 times)

Offline kirin

Valve Cover Gasket Leakage
« on: December 06, 2005, 09:43:53 PM »
Hey guys,
For the past few days I've noticed a few drips of stray oil on my right side heaterbox.... Well I came home tonight and found the bug leaving a nice long oil stain down the driveway and the heaterbox covered in oil. Any idea what could cause a valve cover gasket to fail in such a way?

Guess I'm resealing the driveway... again!
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 09:48:31 PM »
maybe its not the valve cover, have you taken a good look? Maybe a pushrod tube seal has cracked? But either way, get yourself a piece of wood under your car or maybe a big shallow box with a plastic liner, replace your gaskets and pushrod tube seals when you get time.

Offline kirin

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 09:51:53 PM »
I haven't really looked that hard. Last time I was under there it was definetly coming from the valve cover and I tapped it a bit to try to seat it a bit better. When I was under there last the pushrods seemed clean(although they are the chrome ones...) anyways time to get underthere and see.... SOunds like a task for tommorow!

Offline kirin

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 05:20:24 PM »
Well it wasn't the pushrod tubes I think the valve cover gasket got sucked in or something.
I took off the cover, cleaned the snot out of it with brake clean, wiped down the heaterbox(she's going to stink for a while). Then I glued in a new cork Valve cover gasket with Permatex \"the right stuff\" let it set up a bit. Installed and well its in there drying. Also put some christmas lights on the roofrack..

Offline AlanU

• http://members.shaw.ca/acvw/index.htm
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 03:33:02 PM »
I've used permatex \"right stuff\" for years on my valve cover gaskets and never had one suck in form 7500+rpms.  No need for welded tabs in my opinion.

Kleen flo has some grey snot silicon too. Ultra grey does the trick aswell.  

Offline kirin

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 03:40:33 PM »
On all my \"Non-Hi-po engines\" I've glued the gaskets in since the Day James Lindsay taught me nearly 5 years ago. Works great. Just the builder of this last engine didn't do that...
-Kirin