Author Topic: New Steering Help  (Read 1835 times)

Russ

New Steering Help
« on: July 31, 2004, 10:53:57 PM »
hi all,
i was having problems with the steering in my oval and decided to swap out the steering box for a brand new unit,the tie rods were ugly as hell so i changed them as well.when i take it up to higher speeds 60-65mph it is all over the place wandering.i assume the allingment would be out to a degree would that cause my problem?the steering feels like it goes from 11:00 to 1:00 before it starts to steer in eaither direction.steering box need adjustment?
any help would be great thanks russ

Offline volksbug

New Steering Help
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 12:36:24 AM »
Just a thought,  splines slipping in the steering shaft or steering wheel?

Russ

New Steering Help
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 06:41:34 AM »
no everything is snug,i tightened it down real good :D  

Offline splitwindowman

New Steering Help
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 09:59:58 AM »
Russ, let me enourage you to stop drinking and driving at the same time. No wonder you're all over the place. On a serious note, sounds like you have a crappy steering box or it's badly out of adjustment. You shouldn't have a ton of play in it. Your steering should be nice and tight. There's only so many things that are going to effect your steering - the box, tie rods, alignment or a bent beam. I'm sure you'll be able to determine what's going on.
Jason.

Russ

New Steering Help
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 10:11:49 AM »
Jason thanks
well i pulled the steering shaft out again and started over tighted everything down again.adjusted the steering box (not really sure what i'm doing with it:)
and she seems much better.
still needs an allignment but that will be next week
thanks russ