Author Topic: bug/audi project  (Read 15905 times)

Offline Alisdair

• i have no plan, im sticking to it !!
  • ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı ʇɐɥʇ
Re: 55 oval ...Bugaudi
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 11:22:14 AM »
my neighbours mud bog project.

66 ragtop bug, 55 Bugaudi 33 dodge 6

Offline Alisdair

Re: 55 oval ...Bugaudi
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2010, 07:36:32 AM »
todays the day  :o.......ok maybe tomorrow >:( . the bugaudi adventure continues...........

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:28:59 AM by Alisdair »

Offline Alisdair

Re: bug/audi project
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 09:28:17 AM »
its hard to believe its been this long since the last update , i blame the early spring and long hot summer of 2010 .

ive spent a few months gathering parts and pieces needed to move on . i also have another complete 5000 QT for parts .
tho'  i'm finding it hard to stay true to the original design idea ill stick with it to the end.

this is how it looked when i pushed it outside in the spring , a roller once again , but not for long!

in the first pic here the rear side window looks out of shape , it's  the inner lip for the rubber ,ill have to add a couple of small pieces of steel to correct it.

my pictures do this build no justice at all , ive used the word abortion a few times since i started  but i promise its in reference to the pictures not the build. The thing about a build like this  (ie one with no plan)  is that more often than not i start on one thing but cannot complete it until i make the necessary adjustments to the next piece of the puzzle . That said ive now gone 360 degrees and im back where i started at the front end , well maybe not but you get the general idea.

its been quite a task cutting the floor etc of the Audi  to fit inside the bug body but ive almost got it figured . The only pieces that stick out now are the front strut towers . I had played with the idea of keeping them but decided they had to go . they need to be lowered 3'' to be under the hood .

If you look close at the wheelarches you can see the underseal used by Audi in 86, this stuff is hard thick rubber ,it's like spray on elastic bands , FFS!! ive never known anyting like it. sticks like crazy and the wire brush on the grinder only moves it from one spot to the next . ive learned to be patient and work with  it .....but its time consuming, as if i didnt have enough grinding to do. thats what ill be  busy doing this weekend and the next and ..............

with the front strut tower removed  i ll attach the strut top directly to the frame ...when i get that far

the start of the rear mount for the radiator, cooling is in the rear as per Audi S1  . a few airscoops will 'hopefully' supply enough air to the rad,

A quick pic of the side vents now only 6 1/2 inches high

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 05:41:09 AM by Alisdair »

Offline Alisdair

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 06:23:41 PM »
spent all weekend cutting and grinding on the front end and body ,finally it feels like its starting to come together rather than just being cut apart . welded the ends of the unibody frame (at last) and cleaned up lots .

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 06:30:15 PM by Alisdair »

Offline stefan

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 07:36:31 PM »
lots of work, i,m looking forward to seeing finished! PDT_Armataz_01_37

Offline Alisdair

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
thanks Stefan , all the cutting and grinding is starting to pay off and take shape . its a long way from finished but ill try have it rolling for GCVWS.........201?  :D

Offline Alisdair

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 08:03:57 AM »
I got on with the rear corners and the mount for the rad at the weekend . No real plan , just cut n weld and make it all fit . There's close to 50 seperate pieces welded to join the rear of the Audi uniframe to the body of the bug .
The rad support is centred to the car body however the mounts on the bottom of the rad are not centred so i simply angled the hangers and added gussets . It needs more strength added but i have a good base to work with now.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:22:35 PM by Alisdair »