Author Topic: '69 Squareback "Sandy"  (Read 4612 times)

Offline 85fastlane

'69 Squareback "Sandy"
« on: November 24, 2008, 10:09:20 PM »
Hey folks, new Square in town (since May of '08 anyways). I've put a lot into her over the summer, with hopes of having her in shape to be my daily in time for school this fall (student at UFV), but it didn't happen. It went from a non-driving, non-running, non-existant interior, missing lots of engine parts but minimal rust '69 Square, to what you see here as a running, driving (sort of, no clutch), new interior, complete car.

I've already met two of you, hope to meet all the rest soon as I get to know the VW community a bit better. Do you guys do BBQs and stuff. If I did a BBQ at my place with you and your aircooled VWs just to meet some people, would anyone actually come?

Anyways, meet Sandy!

'69 VW Squareback (ratty daily)

I'm a full-time student and part-time writer. Visit my blog to see some of my work.
http://bylaneanderson.blogspot.com/

Offline 70's Looker

• More than a 70's Hooker!
  • what's this for?
Re: '69 Squareback "Sandy"
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:27:48 PM »
hurray for sublime
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline Randy

• Formerly Tikitime
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 10:39:12 PM »
Hi There,
Seats look good!
Randy

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 12:17:28 AM »
Nice Square!

Which company are the seat covers from? I've got to redo one of my beetles, and I like the look of those.

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

CHEECH

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 07:39:05 AM »
Hey Lane, Good to meet ya last night!!!!!!!!!!!!! WELCOME

Offline 85fastlane

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 10:51:35 AM »
Nice Square!

Which company are the seat covers from? I've got to redo one of my beetles, and I like the look of those.

-Dave

They're from TMI. They're the two-tone option of black smooth vinyl and charcoal tweed. I was suprised how easy it was to do. I've never reupholstered anything before and I think they turned out great! Hope to get the matching two-tone door panels soon!

I'm a full-time student and part-time writer. Visit my blog to see some of my work.

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 11:07:20 AM »
looks good mang!
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline piercedvw

• aka Karmann Ghia
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 03:23:44 PM »
Shes perrrrrrdy :)

Offline 85fastlane

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 10:37:31 AM »
My newest custom modification. Very technical, takes a precise and steady hand and a sacrificial rubber chicken. This is my new shift boot!

CHEECH

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 10:41:05 AM »
DAMN LANE!!!!!!! Thats a KILLER MOD  O0..... Gimme a shout tomorow night....

Offline splitworld

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 06:20:52 PM »
Great Square man, Hope to see it as a daily sometime on the road!  Love the pre 70 turn signals and lights.  If you need parts I have some extras, might even have an extra 69 clutch, off my old ghia.
71 SQUARE

Offline 85fastlane

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 09:48:22 AM »
Time for a game called "Here's what my lazy ass finally got around to doing!". Full-time school and full-time work has kept my time very well occupied, so I've fully taken advantage of my week off for "reading week", timed perfectly with the arrival of my student loan, to get a bunch of things done to Sandy.

Beware, purists will hate me!

So the engine had to come out due to a mystery clutch issue, which turned out to be just a clip that was not done up. But while it was out I decided to clean everything fairly good and paint it up. Enjoy the pics!

Thanks Cheech for all the help!

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 06:45:51 PM »
Wicked dude, You get more free stuff the next time you over!! O0
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline 85fastlane

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 03:55:23 PM »
Just wanted to throw up an update as to how the car has been doing! Sandy finally got a decent inspection that only required a few last little fixes. I got them all finished but when I went for reinspection the mechanic was on holidays. This was the day before Volksfest so I threw on a day permit and went on a somewhat illegal roadtrip to Victoria for the show, then up to Tofino for some surfing and then back home. This was the first significant amount of driving it had ever done, all on the same shortblock that came in the car when I bought it and had been sitting for 5 years, undriven, in storage. It drove perfect, and while making great fuel mileage too. So I got the reinspection, finally got some plates, and about 10 minutes after bolting them on the car headed for Calgary. She made it there no worries and we just made the trip back to Abbotsford yesterday up all those twisting mountain roads in the blasting heat. I couldn't be happier with the way she's been performing, over 3000 kms in the last 3 weeks and going strong!!!

Some of these pics are reposts, just wanted to add them to my thread, and the first one is a steal, thanks Silas!

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 11:20:32 PM »
right on lane!!!! great to hear that you're logging some serious miles on the 'er! that's what it's all about!! 8)