Author Topic: What Trany Work Would I Need?  (Read 2619 times)

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
What Trany Work Would I Need?
« on: May 16, 2007, 02:58:53 PM »

The engine:

So the engine is a 2165 cc and I belive the cam has 510 lift and 269 duration. It probably never see more than 5000 or 5500 rpms and mostly driven at 3300rpms tops.

The Transmission:

I have an IRS trany to use with a part number AH3987669 (1- 3.78, 2- 2.06, 3- 1.26, 4- .89) and it is a 4:125. It will have to be converted to swing axle.

It will be intalled on my 66 project (at this point) I want this car for daily use and freeway use (while being able to talk or listen to the radio.) That means a steady trips at 3300-3500 rpms on a freeway. However, there may be the occational slam , quick take off, or quick shift.

What should I be considering for this transmission in order to budget for it?

Offline dannyboy

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 04:29:45 PM »
i would say the easiest thing to do is go buy a \"pro-street\" style transmission from a well known trans shop( or acvw.net if they can get it.
these trans usually have a superdiff, hardened keys, and all the other basic hipo mods but still has stock gearing
for the freeway, you can also get a freeway flyer \"pro street, which has the 3.88 r&p for even better freeway speeds but a little slower acceleration...

Offline Hansk

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 09:12:11 PM »
The catch is that a typical 3.88 trans has a .93 4th gear which only gives you a few mph at hwy speeds over a 4.12 trans. I'm not sure what would come in these freeway flyer tranny's but I think what you would want is a .89 4th with a 3.88 r&p .
Big fat black fastback

Offline Bruce

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 04:08:14 PM »
Hans, the 3.88s are coveted by the drag racers since it is the strongest stock VW R&P, so when you buy a FF, you don't get a 3.88.  They build them as a 4.12 with a .82 Bus 4th gear.

Emilio,
\"quick take off\" = spinning tires = Super diff
\"quick shift\" = steel 1-2 shift fork.

Do you also have a swing axle trans to donate all the swing axle conversion parts?

Offline egspot

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 07:11:48 PM »
Hans, the 3.88s are coveted by the drag racers since it is the strongest stock VW R&P, so when you buy a FF, you don't get a 3.88.  They build them as a 4.12 with a .82 Bus 4th gear.

Emilio,
"quick take off" = spinning tires = Super diff
"quick shift" = steel 1-2 shift fork.

Do you also have a swing axle trans to donate all the swing axle conversion parts?
This is what i got:

\"The Transmission:

I have an IRS trany to use with a part number AH3987669 (1- 3.78, 2- 2.06, 3- 1.26, 4- .89) and it is a 4:125. It will have to be converted to swing axle.

The 66 has a original transmision currently.

It will be intalled on my 66 project (at this point) I want this car for daily use and freeway use (while being able to talk or listen to the radio.) That means a steady trips at 3300-3500 rpms on a freeway. However, there may be the occational slam , quick take off, or quick shift.

Offline egspot

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 01:27:09 PM »
I have replaced  IRS tranies several time but have never do it to a swing SA.

In order to have someone build it I have to give him both transmissions.

From what I understand I must remove the back wheels, brakes, and all to remove the tranny as a drum to drum piece.

That means that the pan must be on blocks or something, right?

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 01:42:58 PM »
From what I understand I must remove the back wheels, brakes, and all to remove the tranny as a drum to drum piece.

That means that the pan must be on blocks or something, right?
block the front wheels well, jack up the rear of the car and put your jack stands under the torsion bar tubes (place the jack stands at the outer-most area of the tubes, so the car is stable). this will give you all the room you need to pull the motor & tranny.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 03:00:27 PM »
If the swing axle trans is to be used for parts to convert the IRS trans, you first must remove the rear drums.  Before you jack the car up, loosen the rear axle nuts.  Once you pull the wheels off, remove the rear drums.  Then when the whole gearbox is out, remove the axle tubes and axles.  
Don't forget to drain the gearbox of oil or you will have a big mess when transporting it.  It would also be a good idea to clean the gunk off the outside.  
Remove the rubber trans mounts and the starter.  Keep your ground strap too.