Author Topic: '55 On The Island  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Wes

'55 On The Island
« on: February 17, 2008, 11:02:24 PM »
Hey guys! Wes here, signing in with my '55 deluxe beetle. I picked it up a little over 2 years ago now as a complete shell of a car, and with some assembly made it into my daily driver! The story behind the car is that it was owned and run on Vancouver Island in the mid '80's by the P/O, who had made it into an all red cal-looker. It crashed sometime around 1985 or '86 and although the body and pan were toast, he managed to get both a donor body and pan from Metchosin. It's been a lot of fun so far, and a huge learning experience. The car has a 1600 dp, performance built I like to say. It was balanced, blueprinted, racing cam, dual 40mm Kadrons, bored out though I'm not sure to which degree (I really need to call the guy and get a list of what he had done to it) and a '67 rear end out of a Karmann Ghia (for the tranny, the one the car came with had no output shaft  :rolleyes: ). It's also 12V with front disc brakes and a header/hideaway muffler combo. Other than that it's stock, right down to the original pleather on the seats...and red duct tape where the upholstery was just toast on the passenger seat  ;) . So other than using the P/O's case I did everything to the car, including body work, paint, and all other mechanicals.

http://www.vvwc.ca/modules.php?set_albumNa...=view_photo.php

Future plans for the car are to improve on what I've done so far.
-I'm thinking of keeping it the polar silver but respraying it
-new cloth upholstery down the road or maybe clean up the best of the old vinyl and replace the front seat upholstery?
-a new set of engine tins (36hp style) painted stock black to give the engine a classic, kind of Okrasa look to it
-The stock height is all right for now, but maybe lower it a bit down the road, who knows?

Yeah, the main idea is to improve the car's quality. It's a no rust example with the OG pans and everything so I'm basically trying to do it some justice. Hopefully I'll see some of you guys around!

Wes

Offline josh

'55 On The Island
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 08:28:16 PM »
hey wes, welcome to the ASF :rockon:  lotsa knowledge lurking around on here.

how'd those fender beading strips work out for ya??
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Wes

'55 On The Island
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 08:19:37 PM »
Hey Josh! This site does look good. Yeah, they worked out great, thanks again! Actually, do you still have those window rubbers with the chrome inserts? I'll be working on some of the stuff I listed in my first post soon (body mostly, but going to pull the engine to fix an oil leak) and I think that'd be a good upgrade for after a repaint.  

Offline Wes

'55 On The Island
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 08:22:46 PM »
Oh right, I forgot to ask about pictures. Do I need a hosting site in order to post pics here?  

Offline josh

'55 On The Island
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 01:02:59 AM »
yup still got the window rubbers and trim, come get them :rockon:

as for pics you gotta host them from somewhere first ie: photobucket, webshots or thesamba then link them in your post
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Wes

'55 On The Island
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 07:30:56 PM »
pm sent about the trim and rubbers. I'll try posting some pics in that testing centre to see if it works. That's a really good idea having that!  :rockon:  

Offline josh

'55 On The Island
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 12:21:43 AM »
pm sent about the trim and rubbers. I'll try posting some pics in that testing centre to see if it works. That's a really good idea having that!  :rockon:
got it, back at ya
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Wes

'55 On The Island
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 10:30:44 PM »
Just thought I'd throw some pics up of my car. Here's a couple of what I brought home:

After some grafting:

Paint:

Last winter:

All of the work was done by me, and as of now I'm going back to repaint it with base/clear. I also just finished a motor pull to stop the oil leak. I'll get some pictures of that up next.

Offline berliner

Re: '55 On The Island
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 11:11:27 AM »
that looks like the car i see on west saanich road now and then...i'm the brown kenworth going the other way.very nice looking bug....mike
what can possibly go wrong?                                                                     64ghia

Offline Wes

Re: '55 On The Island
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 10:21:11 PM »
Thanks Mike, yeah that's me all right. I'll be on the lookout for ya then!