Author Topic: Advise on making a windshield frame or having one made  (Read 12097 times)

Offline Max G

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Advise on making a windshield frame or having one made
« on: April 07, 2017, 10:42:26 AM »
Ok, so I can't find anyone that makes a 48" wide windshield frame (I have a hillbilly buggy).
I have one that is incorporated into my hardtop but I want a standalone shield for the summer.

Has anyone had any experience in making thier own frames? What have you used for materials? Steel, Aluminum? U profile or Angle Iron? Tube with tabs to hold the glass?

I have no problem in getting laminated glass cut to size, but it seems like there are many ways to build a frame.
I saw some dude on YouTube who made a wood template and bent u-channel aluminum around it (after heating it up)

Maybe someone knows of a local fab shop that does this kind of thing for not too much money?????

Offline pittwagen

Re: Advise on making a windshield frame or having one made
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 03:14:59 PM »
I suggest you seek some advice from the Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy forum on the Samba.  I would include a picture of your buggy dash area where the windshield would be located.  A search of that forum would also likely bring some results.  If you posted a picture of your buggy I may have an idea as well.

Offline Max G

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 10:21:09 AM »
If you posted a picture of your buggy I may have an idea as well.

Thanks for your response
I did some searches on the samba, but maybe I should dig a little deeper, and maybe throw up a post there too, thanks

Here is a few pics of the dash and the hardtop with integrated windshield

The dash is a separate piece to the body but I think there's enough depth on the sides to bolt a windshield onto it. I just don't want to cut up the hardtop.

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 10:48:09 AM »
So there is no way to separate the windshield from the roof and have it as a stand alone?  At some point they must have been separate.  If no,  I would recreate the windshield.  Probably easier than building a tube frame assembly and incorporating a windshield into that. 

How stable is that dash area such that it would be able to support a stand alone windshield?  It may need some work. Is a roll bar in the future?

Offline robinson

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 07:27:50 PM »
I cut holes in the top off the dash slid the smaller frame in the holes put spacers in the gap at each end off the dash then bolt it the same as other buggys bolting through the ends off the dash

Offline Max G

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 08:03:30 PM »
So there is no way to separate the windshield from the roof and have it as a stand alone?  At some point they must have been separate.  If no,  I would recreate the windshield.  Probably easier than building a tube frame assembly and incorporating a windshield into that. 

How stable is that dash area such that it would be able to support a stand alone windshield?  It may need some work. Is a roll bar in the future?

I suppose it's possible to separate the windshield from the top, but I'd like to be able to have the possibility if running with the top at some point as well as a standalone shield.
I suppose I could recreate it in fiberglass, BC buggy tours have the same model.shell as this and they have done something similar.
Dash is solid, and I have thought about doing glass in a roll bar, but not sure if I'm going to do a full cage, maybe just a rear hoop.

Offline Max G

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 08:08:35 PM »
I cut holes in the top off the dash slid the smaller frame in the holes put spacers in the gap at each end off the dash then bolt it the same as other buggys bolting through the ends off the dash

hmmm, that is a very interesting solution. Never occurred to me to do that, thanks.

Offline robinson

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 06:58:02 AM »
the person  ( dino )that makes the windshields for the manx club can make one for you

Offline syncrobuggy

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 11:17:25 AM »
It is not hard or difficult to have one made up.  and doing that means you can get the rake and height you want.  Steel or aluminum tubing bent to the size you want and either secured down the side of the dash or on top of it.   The dashes in these were generally really thick.  Then they weld a small flange or flat bar around the hoop to mount the windshield to.

I did have a couple of old aluminum frames from the Hillbilly.  haven't seen them in a long time but I will look around and see if they are still in the shed. 

Offline Max G

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 07:56:48 AM »
I did have a couple of old aluminum frames from the Hillbilly.  haven't seen them in a long time but I will look around and see if they are still in the shed.

I appreciate that dude, thank you.

After thinking about it for a few weeks, if I can't source one I will probably get a tube bent to size, cut a slot on the inside to slide some glass I to and do what you said with welding some sort of flange on.
I assume the glass NEEDS to be slotted inside the tube for safety as just sitting on the inside of a hoop bar with even with urethane will not be super safe?

Offline syncrobuggy

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 03:00:27 PM »
you weld a small flange around the inside of the roll bar and attach the windshield using a universal windshield rubber.  That will hold it in place tight and it wont move (as long as the bar is solid).  google universal windshield rubber if you haven't seen it before.  many different styles but they all do the same thing.     

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 05:49:05 PM »
I welded a 5/8" flange around the center windshield in my buggy.  Originally I was going to use the universal rubber and glue the corners but I landed up glueing it in with the hi tech glue that is used on all the modern cars.  The rubber, if you choose that is available at Speedy on Dewdney Trunk  in MR.

Offline Max G

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 06:49:24 PM »
you weld a small flange around the inside of the roll bar and attach the windshield using a universal windshield rubber.  That will hold it in place tight and it wont move (as long as the bar is solid).  google universal windshield rubber if you haven't seen it before.  many different styles but they all do the same thing.     

ah yes, I do know what you mean, I've had a few older vehicles with windshields that have this rubber gasket, you have to "rope" them in.

I welded a 5/8" flange around the center windshield in my buggy.  Originally I was going to use the universal rubber and glue the corners but I landed up glueing it in with the hi tech glue that is used on all the modern cars.  The rubber, if you choose that is available at Speedy on Dewdney Trunk  in MR.

do you have any pictures of your buggy's windshield?
I work in a bodyshop which is icbc glass express certified so I have a decent supply of windshield urethane.

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 07:29:23 PM »
This is about the best I have.  I think the flange was actually 1/2".  Just bent it around the tubing and tacked it into place.  Glass shop actually painted a 1" strip around the inside of the glass to hide the glue.

Offline Max G

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 12:32:13 PM »
Looks really good!
What size tubing did you use?
Let me know if you'll be bringing it out anywhere soon, (dubz in the barn?) I'd like to check it out in person

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 01:26:05 PM »
This is actually a street legal rail buggy.  1.5" tubing.

Offline Randy

• Formerly Tikitime
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 11:36:33 AM »
Here's what my buddy did for his buggy:

Chopped and narrowed older Land Rover windshield frame.

Offline Max G

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 07:41:33 PM »
Chopped and narrowed older Land Rover windshield frame.
that is really cool, looks like it flips down aswell!
I have the same buggy shell as that, if love to see some more pictures of that