Author Topic: What To Build?  (Read 1992 times)

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
What To Build?
« on: March 03, 2006, 12:14:47 PM »

Could I built 78X94 with stock cam, stock heads, dual 34 icts, 009, headers, 1.25 rockets?  A 78 crankshaft for torque and 94s for displacement.Would this setting work and would it last?

Why do I need another cam (i.e. Eagle 100 or 110)

Give me all you got.

Emilio

Offline kirin

What To Build?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 01:12:56 PM »
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
What To Build?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 08:04:34 PM »
even better....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/091265603...glance&n=283155

airspeed might be able to get that book for you. or try wilkinsons automobilia in vancouver. that's where i got mine.

http://wilkinsonsauto.com/

i'm no engine guru, but i would guess that a motor using those parts would have a hard time breathing.

Offline GMB

What To Build?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 11:49:41 PM »
It would work fine Emilio but use a c20 scat cam with the 1.25 rockers and about 8.5:1 compression. Use the 34 solexes with chokes they have a vacuum port so you could use a vacuum advanc distributor.
    Of course this set up would work great as a 1914cc as well. with the stroker crank it may just be a waste of cash with the stock heads and smaller carbs but if jetted correctly the stroker motor would be lots of fun and deadly reliable and driveable anywhere!
    Gary.
Warrior sand rail:
2276cc 82x94
Engle FK-41 with 1.25:1 street style rockers
40x35.5 stock cast single port heads
Single 40mm Kadron w/32vent
Equalizer 5lb pulley
Stock lifters
Stock aluminum pushrods
26mm aluminum oil pump full flow
*Poor mans rack and pinion up front*

Offline Bruce

What To Build?
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 01:23:15 PM »
Don't even think about building a big engine with a stock cam and stock heads.  I once drove a 2 liter that was like that.  What a useless dog of an engine.  It might have produced 80-85 hp.  The right heads/cam/CR/carbs/exhaust will almost double the power.

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
What To Build?
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 04:08:11 PM »
Don't even think about building a big engine with a stock cam and stock heads.  I once drove a 2 liter that was like that.  What a useless dog of an engine.  It might have produced 80-85 hp.  The right heads/cam/CR/carbs/exhaust will almost double the power.

I want power for traveling on freeway to Kamloops and on BC, or to US California, etc. I also drive the car every day. Now, it looks like I would need non-stock heads or head with larger than stock valves (pending $$$$) so that the 94s can breathe. I will also need another outside cooling system, and probably if I have to, an Eagle 110 cam (Now if I can get away with stock cam, would that give me better for longevity?) I got stock rods, dual 34 icts, and I believe 1 5/8 headers.

I know I can get piston/cylinders for about  $200.00 US and head needed for around $400 00 US. However I would like to deal with my local supplier and that would take more $$ and therefore longer. Not that I am on a hurry. I know that if I hurry it will get f**^%^ up and it will cost me more$$.  What do you guys think of that plan?

That being said, from a daily driven (1600 dp with tops 60 hp) to an 80-85 hp that would last close to 100,000 Kms. I would be flavergasted (what ever that means.)

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
What To Build?
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 05:52:57 PM »
imho, you'll also want to seriously consider a brake upgrade. extra hp requires extra stopping power and acvw drum brakes are sketchy enough when used with a stock motor at speed.

also, i'm no tranny guru, but with a stock trans you'll only be able to wind it up so far until it gets unbearably obnoxious.

i'm not trying to talk you out of it, i'm just giving you some food for thought.

spend money on the heads. that's where the power comes from. talk to darren krewenchuck (k-rok) on this forum. he is the head god. hopefully he can recommend an adequate cam for your formula too.

Offline Bruce

What To Build?
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 07:52:15 PM »
With a stock cam and stock heads on a big disp engine, it will choke off at a much lower rpm than a stock 1600.  You might as well stick on a stock carb and ruin the whole thing.

You can get some stock casting 043 heads with 40x35 valves from Airspeed fairly cheap.  Then an Engle 110 and stock genuine VW reground lifters.  There's no big money spent there.

If you really want long life, your 94s are not part of the recepie.  I have yet to hear of one single person claim they had a set of 94s go to 100k miles without a ring job.  But many have done it with 90.5s.  That's why I use 90.5s in my engine.  It is at 50k miles so far and hasn't been apart since I built it.