Author Topic: Z-bart Removal  (Read 983 times)

Offline celticbob

• http://www.metal-rules.com
Z-bart Removal
« on: December 10, 2003, 06:23:36 AM »
I believe that is what it is called. The thick rubberized undercoating used years ago against rust. My VW is coated with the stuff and starting to peel under 1 fender. I would like to remove it all before i get it painted (hopefully the spring). Is there an easy way to do this? Can it be done without damaging the original paint?

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Z-bart Removal
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 01:23:51 PM »
i bought a propane gas/acetalyne? torch from crappy tire, heated the area around where the undercoating is , and scraped with a 1 1/2\" putty knife. the stuff came off fairly easy, and left a slightly gooey mess that can be removed with paint thinner. i wasn't to worried about the og paint, but maybe if you're carefull, it can be saved.

be very carefull not to focus the heat on one area for too long or the metal may warp and the paint on the other side will bubble. also, focus the heat on the area around where you are scraping, not directly on it, it will come off easier and cleaner.

also, this is fire and it gets hot, so be aware of gas or oil lines or spills, and where you touch and your surroundings.

hope this helps. good luck.  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 01:27:01 PM by silas »

Offline celticbob

• http://www.metal-rules.com
Z-bart Removal
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 08:22:08 AM »
Thanks
I didn't know if there was an enviromentally safe product that i could put on it and it would help peel it off. I really don't want to get into \"Scraping\" as it may damage the original paint. I just want it off as it is cracked and chipped in places and i don't want water to get in there and cause rust.