Author Topic: Aircare  (Read 5367 times)

Offline Lanny

Aircare
« on: August 28, 2007, 09:46:17 AM »
Thanks to the trusty LM1, the 67 passed Aircare yesterday..I couldn't believe it, I was jumping up and down like a kid..
2275 CC, 48 IDAs w. 42 vents, CB 2295 cam, 9.5 CR, around 200+ HP. It can be done! :D  

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
Aircare
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 09:55:11 AM »
do u still have to have one of those nitwits drive your car? That is pretty incredible to pass
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline westcoast-paul

Aircare
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 11:15:11 AM »
Thanks to the trusty LM1

That code for $300 bribe?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 11:15:28 AM by westcoast-paul »

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Aircare
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 12:23:31 PM »
Mine failed last weekend. Bone stock 1500 and I couldn't get it through in 2 attempts. Sucker's really well-tuned to, right down to the dwell. Both times it was the high CO on the driving test, suggesting a rich mixture. The car has only 7000 miles on it since last years test, which it sailed through. This morning I installed my super tiny hand-made main jet and I'll run it through tomorrow. Failing that, I'll be asking around to see if anyone's got an LM-1 with a tail-sniffer they can loan me.
Jason Hamilton

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
Aircare
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 12:46:57 PM »
Last time I had issues, I went to John at VanWonder here in North Van. He's got a sniffer and got me through with flying colours. If free, he'll do it while you wait if it's a simple adjustment. The aircare is close by....
B.Waz
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 12:47:24 PM by bwaz »
brian waz

Offline G-dog

Aircare
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 01:37:38 PM »
Bastard!! [_[  
1967 Beetle (the only year worth considering)/Berg 5

Offline James Buchan

Aircare
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 01:48:22 PM »
Ive got an Lm1 with tail sniffer if you need J

Offline Mike Scott

Aircare
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 02:45:59 PM »
Congrats Lanny, I wouldnt let one of their techs in a car that nice!!!!

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Aircare
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 03:05:32 PM »
its all in the tune  :D  

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline Bruce

Aircare
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 04:03:21 PM »
congratulations!  That is only the second time I have heard of IDAs passing aircare.

Jason, you will have more luck messing with the idle cct than the main jet.  Post your VIN, I can have a look at it.

Offline AlanU

• http://members.shaw.ca/acvw/index.htm
Aircare
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 09:19:12 PM »
why cant I get my car to pass aircare with Ida's???

BECAUSE I'd have to go through the test on the dyno and not just an idle test. But seriously my IDA's do not have the 3rd progression hole and I run big 45mm vents so I do not have the vacuum signal compared to guys using 37-42mm vents. I've been fighting with rich a/f mixture in the 2000-3000 rpm range with my car.

As a matter of fact I guarantee alot of guys that pass will fail if they go through the test immediately after. The linkage, spring advance in dist and other variables will change the idle on an aircooled engine that changes temps. I see this on my gas analyser all the time. Water cooled cars are definitely more stable than an aircooled VW. If the aircare biotch blips the gas it'll enrich the mixture and you can literally see it on the graphs they provide you. I've spoken to one of the managers at an aircare center before telling them that a particular aircare biotch was stepping on the gas pedal erratically (I was sittting in the passengers seat)The accelarator pump would dump more fuel in the mix and fail CO. A customer of mine (when I was in north van) failed horribly and he  threatened the center and they put it through again with a different Aircare \"boy\" and the car passed.

stockers with Pict carbs never fail on the load test. They typically fail in the idle test.

Many times I find the sample of dilution is caused by negative reversion. Lanny did they put a big hose on the tailpipe??
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:20:30 PM by AlanU »

Offline Bruce

Aircare
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 09:32:06 PM »
Hmmm, good point Alan.  Lanny, did your test include the dyno part?

Offline Lanny

Aircare
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 09:37:33 PM »
I sat in the passenger seat and coached the guy along. I stated the ride height was too low and to test the idle only, they went for it. I've had that car aircared so many times with IDAs and fail, the huge majority of the time(probably 99%) on the idle test. He did have to try and hold the revs at 2500 for 30 seconds, a bit of a chore. Once he did that, it sat at idle (around 1000 RPM) for 30 seconds. The AF showed 13.9-14.2. I left the timing at 32 degrees total, using 91 octane. 65 idles, 170 mains, 180 airs.

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
Aircare
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 10:07:55 PM »
like lanny i always sit in the car and let the guy know the shift pattern etc. i've always done the driving and idle test at the kent station and never had a problem ,passed every year.
if anyone wants to know how i set mine up with a LM1 for aircare let me know,it is real easy.i run dellortos but the process is the same as you only need to worry about 2 steady states of tune .steady idle and steady 2000 rpm loaded area in second.

o.k alan time we made your 11 sec pump gas monster aircare friendly :D
good topic for a chat .

lanny by chance did you drive the car in 4th at say about 2200 rpm ?and check your A/F ratio on the LM1

Dialedinp

Offline Hansk

Aircare
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 12:21:29 AM »
congratulations!  That is only the second time I have heard of IDAs passing aircare.

Does that include mine?  It was a few years ago but ....1904cc's  , k8 , 8.8:1 , 37vents , 3rd progression hole , 55 idles  ..........nothing I did with the main circuit had any affect at aircare.

btw congrats Lanny
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 12:36:25 AM by Hansk »
Big fat black fastback

Offline Darren

Aircare
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 08:48:13 AM »
AirCare is Bullshit,

I Bet 100 bucks that if Lanny goes through again it will fail,  ( It was his lucky Day )

2 Words,

\"Territory Zed\"

:o  

Offline Cameron

Aircare
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 11:05:01 AM »
Hooray Lanny!

Alan and Darren,
Thanks for the confidence... not.

I have to take my car through AirScam soon. Wish me luck.

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
Aircare
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 11:24:45 AM »
Jason, you will have more luck messing with the idle cct than the main jet.  Post your VIN, I can have a look at it.
My reg. number is 0473582
http://www.aircare.ca/

Thanks Bruce. Any help would be welcome.
Jason Hamilton

Offline Bruce

Aircare
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 01:57:31 PM »
There is something everyone can do to help themselves.  One of the parameters (CO I think) is based loosely on your engine size.  I noticed on Lanny's and Jason's results that they both have engine sizes on their reports larger than what came in their cars.  By changing to the correct size, you will gain a couple of ticks of headroom on the cutoff numbers.  The gain is not much, but who here hasn't heard of someone failing by .01 or .02%?  Changing the engine size is totally legit in Aircare's eyes.  This trick was told to me by an upper official at Aircare.
For you 67 nerds, your Bug originally had a 1493cc engine.  Although called the 1500, Aircare allows you to truncate the displacement.  Have your car's engine changed to 1.4 liters.  Same goes for you, Jason.
Darren can change his to 1.2 liters since a 66 originally had a 1285cc engine.  Alan gets to use 1.1 liters because of the 1192cc engine.  That's as good as it gets Gavin, a 25hp engine at 1131ccs only lets you use 1.1 liters.  70s cars can use 1.5 liters (1584ccs).

Jason, what did you change on the engine from last year?  Your driving CO was about perfect last year, and is now really rich.  Did you change the idle jet?

Offline Bruce

Aircare
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 02:00:13 PM »
The AF showed 13.9-14.2.
For you guys with an O2 sensor, this is what you are shooting for.  The actual number isn't that important, what got Lanny through was the really narrow range of readings while being tested.  You can watch for this without going through Aircare.

Offline Mike Scott

Aircare
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 02:08:23 PM »
There is something everyone can do to help themselves. One of the parameters (CO I think) is based loosely on your engine size. I noticed on Lanny's and Jason's results that they both have engine sizes on their reports larger than what came in their cars. By changing to the correct size, you will gain a couple of ticks of headroom on the cutoff numbers.

So stating your engine size is smaller than actaul gains you some ticks? Seems backwards, I guess if you have a smaller engine, less overall emissions, therefore higher allowed %???

Offline Bruce

Aircare
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 02:48:41 PM »
It is something to do with the fact that Aircare measures %, whereas originally when your car entered Canada, Transport Canada measured g/mile.  If you compared a VW to a big-ass station wagon with a BB engine, the big car will puke out more g/mile than a tiny Bug engine.  So to better simulate the original spec, smaller engines are allowed to have a higher %.  Their smaller size will mean a lower overall emissions package.  This is why the big V8s had to all have catalytic converters when new, but a Bug was able to get by without.

Offline jim martin

Aircare
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 03:58:59 PM »
i've gone through as a 1600 cc motor with a 2275 at 10.6 ;1 compression.
mechanically sound motor,good state of tune ,no magic will get you through every time.reguardless of engine size it all balances out

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 04:08:21 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline AlanU

• http://members.shaw.ca/acvw/index.htm
Aircare
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 08:39:31 PM »
AirCare is Bullshit,

I Bet 100 bucks that if Lanny goes through again it will fail,  ( It was his lucky Day )

2 Words,

"Territory Zed"

:o
 :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  

Offline neil68

Aircare
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 10:52:49 PM »
I hope this aircare system does not migrate to Alberta any time soon.  We are required to have an insurance inspection every ten years and that's it.  We can also by-pass that inspection, if we have the vehicle appraised as a vintage or classic...

Neil.
Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle 2332 cc
12.6 sec at 109 mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF2gCti3dro

Offline Bruce

Aircare
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 02:46:55 AM »
Wow, you guys with your early cars have such GENEROUSLY HIGH limits!

Jim, what was the A/F ratio when you scored that 2.83% CO?

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
Aircare
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 07:43:41 AM »
Jason, what did you change on the engine from last year?  Your driving CO was about perfect last year, and is now really rich.  Did you change the idle jet?
No. All I've changed between last years pass and this years fails is points, plugs, condensor, cap, rotor and oil.
Jason Hamilton

Offline GMB

Aircare
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 07:50:55 AM »
Have you changed the fuel pump? do a fuel pressure check or at least check to see that there is not any fuel dribbling or driping from the main cirquit at idle.
     Gary.
Warrior sand rail:
2276cc 82x94
Engle FK-41 with 1.25:1 street style rockers
40x35.5 stock cast single port heads
Single 40mm Kadron w/32vent
Equalizer 5lb pulley
Stock lifters
Stock aluminum pushrods
26mm aluminum oil pump full flow
*Poor mans rack and pinion up front*

Offline jim martin

Aircare
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 10:31:20 AM »
Wow, you guys with your early cars have such GENEROUSLY HIGH limits!

Jim, what was the A/F ratio when you scored that 2.83% CO?
i believe these are the cut points for all 1600,they seam quite resonable to me as well,over 5% co is quite allot and the hc cut points are not that tight either.if your car can't pass within these limits ,something is wrong with the motor or state of tune,
bruce i had talked to lanny a while back and i was happy to hear hey targeted the same numbers i had mentionedto him.
the fist time i went to aircare which was in fact the second day i had my car on the road [primered]i drove out the highway to the richmond centre . passed both idle co and hc ,passed driving hc but failed driving co.main thing is i recorder the results and noted them.while on the dyno the lmi was reading 10.9 a/f ratio and the car was turning 2400 rpm.on my way back home i noticed for me in 5th gear at 2400 rpm i had the exact a/f ratio and at idle i was at 13.0 a/f ratio.
pulled over replaced the idle jet from a 70 to a 67 and  the idle co changed to 13.9 a/f  and in 5th gear at 2400 rpm it was 14.0 a/f ratio.i drove the car home and it felt allot better /crisper when accelerating .went to the air care centre on kent and those are the results .now realising a aircooled performance motor needs more fuel for cooling i have replaced the 67 idle jets to about a 68-69 this gives me a cruise a/f ratio of 13.1 and i idle at 12.9 a/f ratio even with this richer idle mixture my car still passed no problem this year with the results i posted in another thread.
biggest tip =target two rpm ranges ,idle and 2000 rpm .
your car only is running off the idle jet in both these ranges ,set you idle a/f ratio at mid to upper 13's ,then check your cruise 2000 rpm and note your a/f ratio ,that will be set by either a increase or decrease in idle jet size,also reseting your idle mixture will have a small effect on cruise a/f ratio as there will still be a few drops coming out the idle inlet while the majority will be out the progression ports.

Dialedinp

Offline Bruce

Aircare
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2007, 03:35:38 PM »
Jim, the cutoffs for later cars are much tighter than earlier cars.  This is because the original standards issued by Transport Canada were tighter the newer you get.  Here's what I have to deal with:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The AirCare standards for a 1975 passenger car with a curb weight of 890 kg., and an engine displacement of 1.5 litres are as follows:

Driving Mode HC Standard: 376 parts per million
Driving Mode CO Standard: 3.29 percent
Driving Mode NOx Standard: 4024 parts per million
Idle Mode HC Standard: 480 parts per million
Idle Mode CO Standard: 5.21 percent
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lanny's passing grade of 772ppm of HC at idle wouldn't pass in my car.

Here are the specs for a 67 Bug:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The AirCare standards for a 1967 passenger car with a curb weight of 860 kg., and an engine displacement of 1.4 litres are as follows:

Driving Mode HC Standard: 562 parts per million
Driving Mode CO Standard: 6.78 percent
Driving Mode NOx Standard: 5559 parts per million
Idle Mode HC Standard: 1060 parts per million
Idle Mode CO Standard: 5.61 percent
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

For driving HC and idle CO, these are double what I am allowed.  Note that your car beats the numbers for a 75 Bug.

Here's the link to what the cutoffs are:

http://www.aircare.ca/index.php?inspinfo-standards.php

Not only is the engine size a factor, so is the weight.  I don't know if you can change the weight of the car since they get that info off your insurance papers.

I also found out that the dyno test that is done in 2nd gear at 40km/h is the equivalent to a 3% grade.  Your 5th gear test is probably a good match.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 03:39:08 PM by Bruce »