Author Topic: My First Beetle And A Few Others  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
My First Beetle And A Few Others
« on: December 10, 2005, 11:08:06 AM »
I bought my first Beetle when I was 17, It was a 1969 that was lowered with 135's and thats about it. I bought it for parts for a 64 that I was buying. Not knowing that most of the parts would not fit (at that time there was not many people around with any knowledge on the VW's.

Today you can look on the net and find the answer to just about anything. Back then the \"Shops\" I asked said oh yeah you can swap the beam from the 69 to the 64. Well that started me on the path of learning all I could so not to rely on others bad info.

Here is a shot of the car the day it came home. It had been sitting in a garage for many years when I bought it. It had some sweet fenders, wood dash , baja wheels and BFG's!

My brother and I stripped it and rebuilt it that summer. I'll find some better pic's later but here it is beside the 59 Canadian standard that became my secon project car.

Here's a shot of the 59 std once finished.

That pic was from 1991.
More to come.

Offline steiner

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 12:42:33 PM »
You know what! Everything I learned about vw's came from mistakes. I would try something and it would look like absolute crap. I messed up so many projects.That's a sweet yellow ride!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 12:44:42 PM by steiner »
1964 21 bus

Offline AirCooledRules

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 02:40:13 PM »
Ya that is sweet. are they still around?
1960 Volkswagen Beetle

1975 Honda CB125S
1983 Audi UR-Quattro
1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
1998 Audi A6

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 09:40:45 PM »
Love the louvers dood
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Geoff

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 09:29:16 AM »
I hate to say it but the 64 had a small hole the size of a quarter in the heater channel from rust. I tore it apart for the more solid 59. It still lives on in many other cars ^_^  Lanny used the sunroof for his 67 and a few other friends cars have parts from it.

The 59 was sold in 95 I think, It went to Toronto. Never to be seen again :(

The louvers were all the rage back then as well as they worked to cool the engine. I had a 2275cc Hyd motor with 45Dells. It later went to Darren (Double Door) for his panel van.

I sold that car when my Red 59 was almost done.

Offline Geoff

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 10:17:20 AM »
Here are a few other pic's

This was just after I drove the 64 home from getting it painted. One seat, no headlights or tail lights or insurance and one very mad Mom :rolleyes:

The red Beetle was my brothers first VW, He built it a year before and that sparked my intrest in VW's.

The next is my first Van. Ahh the good old days when pink was cool (ok maybe it never was)
Yes the front wheels are off in this shot as I was instaling new ones.

Check out the hair in this shot! This was a trip to SIR 91 ish. I'd say it was a mullet but it has some sort of \"Flock of Seagulls\" going on in the front as well. Anyway thats's me on the far left, my ex in front, Pete standing (He had a beautiful 68 black beetle) Ashly Bright who had a nice burgandy 60 beetle, Notchback himself Bruce McCrindle (Damn he must be 16-17 there) I think he's pissed there because his \"new to him\" Beetle seized the 1200cc motor before we got to the border.
Next, Sanjay,Owen and Cara.

Anyone else have some old pic's we can make fun of?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 11:59:14 AM by Geoff »

Offline notchback

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 11:49:14 AM »
Wow that pic is a throw back to the old school, Sweet
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences