Author Topic: Sept 25/03  (Read 7231 times)

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Sept 25/03
« on: September 25, 2003, 12:21:52 PM »
It has been 10 days since the last update, I have been working on a bunch of small projects jumping from one to the other so there are a few i will cover today.

First off is the gas tank, This has got to be one of the worst jobs you can imagine. I have done them before and that is why i have left it so long, the smell gets in your skin and everything your wearing. If you have been to the shop lately i'm sure you know what i mean, rotten fuel is no fun.

First off was to drain the tank of what was left in it for the past 10 years (no easy task) Once out and on the ground it was time to try and remove the tar and gunk that was once gas.  I started with the pressure washer (many times) shooting in from the filler hole,sender hole and fuel line area. This got a bunch of it out and all that was left was some hard to reach areas. time to dump nuts bolts and chain inside and give a good shake then off to the bead blaster. What a mess, still not all out.......now to the sand blaster. This went on and on until i had it clean.

From here i used a tank sealer to give it a fresh coat and seal off any of the imperfections.
If you need the sealer we stock it $39.95 and that is enough to do 4-5 tanks

Next on the list of small jobs was to instal the electric dash fans (similar to ambulance fans in a split bus) These were a option on some buses and these were taken from a 79 bus. I did not take a photo of the fans before i instaled them but have included a photo of another set and where they are located for those who dont know.

Here is the shot, they are inside the removable pannel seen here, it is the blue air ducting just below the dash outer edge.

Because the gas heater is being removed to make room for the battery and 911 carbs the stock gas heater switch was removed and the new fan switch installed in its place.

I have now taken the 911 motor apart to a state where you can see just the long block. I wanted to have a friend take a look at the condition of the valve train and see if he could tell me a few things about it. Turns out it has had the case savers instaled (a good thing) and seems to of had the heads gone thru,new oil return tubes,carrera tensioners and 930 valve covers added.

The motor had some bad red pait job on the fan and valve covers at one point, this was bead blasted clean to the orig metal.
From here the valve covers were painted a black krinkle finish and the Porsche letters polished, The 930 valve covers have now been ceramic coated and the fan is awaiting polishing.

Here is a closer view of the covers, the ceramic coating looks nice and will be easy to clean.

More work has also been done on the drivers rocker and will be finished soon, that will be on the next update.....stay tuned!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2003, 12:00:53 PM by Gkafer »