Author Topic: AirCare  (Read 8384 times)

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Re: AirCare
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2009, 01:51:07 PM »
as always...good posts and great info from jim & alan. if i could retain half the info that those guys have stored in their heads...

in addition to the important points that jim & alan made and just to clarify...my initial post about oil changes, valve adjustments, etc wasnt about performing some voodoo...it was about ensuring that those items are respected and looked after aswell to confirm that the motor is in good, running condition. ;) 

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 05:31:08 PM »
I have to chime in here. Check the vehicle weight shown on your ownership papers. For years mine said 1100kg, and my stock motor Ghia was a bitch to get a pass with. The maximum allowables go up drastically with a lighter car and a smaller motor (don't ask me why) and the chart is available on AirCare's website. Once I realized my papers showed the maximum load weight rather than the curb weight (870kg) I went straight to my local AutoPlan with my owner's manual and didn't leave till they reprinted my papers. Easy pass, now.
Jason Hamilton

Offline G-dog

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
as always...good posts and great info from jim & alan. if i could retain half the info that those guys have stored in their heads...

Lay off the pipe and you might retain some info Silas! :P
1967 Beetle (the only year worth considering)/Berg 5

Offline silas

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2009, 10:19:51 PM »

Lay off the pipe and you might retain some info Silas! :P

it looks like huffing that upholstery glue for all those years has effected your motor skills and rendered you useless when it comes time to properly quote a post, g-zizzle. ;)

besides....i'm off the pipe and on to horse tranquilizers now. that's where the real the fun happens. ;D

Offline G-dog

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 06:31:25 AM »
MMmmmm tranks..... :o
1967 Beetle (the only year worth considering)/Berg 5

Offline silas

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »

Offline Thomas

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2009, 04:37:06 PM »
I have bought a house in the Langley area so I thought after some carb tuning I thought I would give aircare a second shot. I passed the CO but failed the HC on the idle test this time. I have given up on trying to do this myself so if anyone could recommend a shop out here or if someone could even come to my house to fix my problem (I will pay you well!!!) it would be a great help. Cheers Thomas (house located @ 195A st and & 70TH ave)
58 Beetle

Offline Thomas

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2009, 09:34:48 AM »
Third time lucky.....after taking one more swing at dialing in the carbs I passed ;D. Back on the road again until next year.
58 Beetle

Offline Bruce

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2009, 01:07:39 PM »
Post your VIN number so we can have a look at how you did.  Sometimes just barely passing isn't very good.  You really want to pass by a good amount.  Then next year you will do much better.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2009, 08:23:33 PM »
My aircare registration # is 06452008. My test results were close to fail but this experience has taught me how to dail in my car to run better as I don't have much at this. The adjusting of my dual carbs takes very little adjustment to change the results from one end to the other. I hope this experiece will help me in getting better results next year. Cheers Thomas.
58 Beetle

Offline Bruce

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2009, 08:23:14 PM »
The first thing you need to do is change your engine size.  A 65 Beetle originally came fitted with an engine that was 1192ccs in size.  Aircare allows you to truncate, so next time you get tested, tell the guy right at the start that your engine size is supposed to be listed as 1.1 liters.  If they don't believe you, they can look it up.  This will give you more headroom on some of the cutoffs.

Your high CO% means your idle jets are too big.  You should pull them out and see what size they are. 
Consider this, you now have one year to get the engine running perfectly so it will breeze through aircare all the time.  Also, by putting in a smaller idle jet, you should see better mileage while at the same time have an engine that makes more hp.