Author Topic: Fuel Line Question  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Jeremy

Fuel Line Question
« on: April 09, 2008, 10:52:23 PM »
I just finished plumbing the hard lines for the fuel system in the '59. 5/16 steel lines with male -6 AN fittings on the ends. I ran two, one in each frame horn, in case I ever need a return line for a fuel injection system. I was going to weld the same fitting to the bottom of the gas tank. My question is would it be best to have the return line go directly back into the tank or can I get away with one -6 AN fitting from the tank and a tee fitting screwed on below it to create the loop?

Jeremy
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Fuel Line Question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 07:00:19 AM »
Yes, many people thread a T into the tank for the feed and return. The only negative to that would be if your trying to get a lot of HP out of the motor (200hp up) then you would be better off with two dedicated fittings in the tank.  

Offline James Buchan

Fuel Line Question
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 07:15:38 AM »
What Geoff said - if you T to the bottom of your tank you will get a deadhead and it will be hard to get your PSI down, mind you on an injected setup you're going to have 20-80psi depending on your setup so that may not be an issue.... Best bet is to dump the fuel into the top of your tank (filler location so it's above the fuel level in the tank). Not sure if the pictures are still here but the Klaatu project had a nicely done setup.

Offline Jeremy

Fuel Line Question
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 08:48:27 AM »
Thanks guys. I think I will probably weld two fittings to the tank just in case. James, you say it is better to have the return line in the top of the tank? What is the advantage of this? I was going to just put them beside each other on the bottom. Will this create some sort of back pressure in the return line? Is there an advatage to running a loop style fuel system with a carburated motor? Lots of questions. Thanks for the replies.

Jeremy
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline James Buchan

Fuel Line Question
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 09:59:39 AM »
I can't say 100% that it is better, just to me I would want the return line to be able to free flow and the only way there wouldnt be any backpressure is it to have it dumping into the tank without any resistance, only place for this would be on the fill nozzle.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Fuel Line Question
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 10:51:57 AM »
Two fittings in the bottom of the tank is the recomended way to do it. No worries about back psi or anything as the return is under psi and the tank is vented to atmosphere.

Offline James Buchan

Fuel Line Question
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 11:46:29 AM »
Well there ya go!

Offline Jeremy

Fuel Line Question
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 12:35:36 PM »
Cheers. Thanks guys. :rockon:  
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 12:35:52 PM by brodie »
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab