Author Topic: Ghia Help Plse  (Read 5964 times)

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2005, 07:24:45 PM »
I didn't say I wanted to try to bring it back for the dead but some people's idea of a rotten car is pretty laim. I just wanted to make sure that there was some who saw it that knew what they were talking about . For most people it's easier to say that is to much and just walk away  saying we did all we could do.

Chris
:huh:

yup, we know what we're talking about.

here's the scoop. xcasper wanted a clean daily driver, probably didnt want to spend more than 3-5 grand on one, and is into this one for 4 allready. now there are some people who have seen the car and understand the predicament that have given xcasper some valid advice.

and then there are others that havent seen the car, that dont seem to realize that xcasper doesnt have a bag of money hiding in his closet, and are wearing rose coloured glasses when they look at vintage vw's. if these folks want to buy this car for 4 grand and save it, then pony up.

here's a \"for instance\". i have a rusty 56 that needs alot of work, that will take alot of time to fix, and will probably cost me between 15-20 grand by the time it's done. i know what i'm getting myself into.

xcasper wants a ghia that he can drive right now, on a daily basis, and i imagine that he wants it for between 3-5 grand. unfortunately, this one is up to 4 allready. he doesnt want to spend another 4 on it to make it an 8 grand daily driver.

no dis-respect to anyone. just my honest opinion. ;)  

Offline Bruce

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2005, 08:28:44 PM »
.... but some people's idea of a rotten car is pretty laim. I just wanted to make sure that there was some who saw it that knew what they were talking about .
There were 4 of us there that needed very little deliberation to come to a unanimous decision.

Offline rustybus

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2005, 10:11:42 PM »
Silas and Bruce ,I do tend to look at things with rose coloured glasses. I would be the first to admit that. The problem I have is cause I was in the trade so long every thing is easy to fix in my eyes. I never tally up man hours in my brain . I like doing the body work on aircooled vw so I look at my time as free forgetting people have to pay others to do it. I just feel bad for the dude that sooo much money to just throw away. I just wish there was some way to help him. I would still like to look at the car but I will leave my rose coloured glasses at home.
Chris

Russ

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2005, 11:43:40 PM »
I didn't say I wanted to try to bring it back for the dead but some people's idea of a rotten car is pretty laim. I just wanted to make sure that there was some who saw it that knew what they were talking about . For most people it's easier to say that is to much and just walk away

Offline Hansk

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2005, 07:47:36 AM »
Just a guess , but I'd say between $1000 to $2000 and will involve a lot of work and mess.  Maybe he should bring it out to the swap this weekend and see if he can sell it as a whole.  It may not be practical for him to fix this car but maybe we could help him get as much as possible back out of it.
Big fat black fastback

Offline ghiafreak

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2005, 10:46:19 AM »
Wow! I have been reading this over the last few days and am amazed by the support that you all have given xcasper. You are an incredible group of people. I wish that I had found people like you when I was looking for my ghia. Sadly, I found this community while preparing to sell mine.   :unsure: maybe one day when the kidlets are grown I can find one again...

Best of luck xcasper in your search!  

Offline xcasper

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2005, 12:20:35 PM »
Hello to all my new friends, Bruce, Silas, Mike and RustyBus. I talked to my wife about all these problems. I guess what I would like to do is to find a Beetle to use my motor and other transferable parts in. And I will sell off the Karmann Parts as you guys think it is applicable. I still would like to show it to RustyBus, and ask him what I should do with the \"incredible hulk\" is it for the crusher?  My reasoning is, that I want to drive an aircooled auto, and I need a (very reliable) daily driver. And I think since Karmans are getting pretty rare, that I would probably have more of a chance of finding one. What do you guys think?

Also, my wife has impressed upon me that I can wait for my beloved Karmann till I retire. (And our daughter is grown up.)  Thanks, guys for all the help you have given. I will need more advice in finding the right car, and maybe you can all help me out still.  Let me know what you think, as to what year I should look for, the rust issue on used beetles, where to look, preferably one that looks nice, and is in good shape except maybe for the motor.  I want one that has a BC title, I don't care about the color, but I definately don't want anything but maybe some little surface rust, or if it has had rust -that it has been repaired properly.  I don't want to make any mistakes that way again. Cheers, Steve-xcasper!