Author Topic: Long Axles To Short  (Read 3199 times)

Offline HeliMike

Long Axles To Short
« on: January 12, 2005, 02:11:44 PM »
Well now that I've decided to convert my type3 swingaxle to a beetle IRS unit (using the swingaxle frame horns,and bug CV's and trailing arms) what do I stand to lose on the wheelbase? I believe the short swingaxles are 3/4\" shorter (correct me if I'm wrong) but what about with the IRS? I've got to do this conversion over a weekend so I'm trying to line up my ducks first so I can drive the pig home.

Later!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 02:12:13 PM by Gutterslug »
67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline Hansk

Long Axles To Short
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 11:41:51 PM »
Your T3 should've had a long swing axle trany which is the same track width as either the beetle or type 3 IRS width.  If it infact has a short axle trany you have some extra fender clearence which you will loose going to IRS . But , I'm just wondering what your going to mount the IRS trailing arms to? Sure , you can switch to IRS sping plates but the swing axle T3 torsion housing does'nt have any mounts for the IRS trailing arms. And the IRS T3 housing does'nt have any frame horns. Soooooo , what have you got up your sleeve to get around this ?
Big fat black fastback

Offline Hansk

Long Axles To Short
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 11:50:29 PM »
Opps , just read your other post. Now I see what you have up your sleeve :D  Should work.
Big fat black fastback

Offline HeliMike

Long Axles To Short
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 10:24:42 AM »
Your T3 should've had a long swing axle trany which is the same track width as either the beetle or type 3 IRS width

Crap! :angry:
That is NOT what I wanted to hear - but thanks for the help Hans!
Maybe I'll just put in the smaller axles instead. Dammit!
67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline Hansk

Long Axles To Short
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 12:00:34 PM »
If it's more fender clearence you want then switching to beetle short swing axles is probably the easiest way. Don't know if those narrowed IRS trailing arms are still available?  I think they matched the short swing axles. Is that right Bruce?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 12:03:27 PM by Hansk »
Big fat black fastback

Offline HeliMike

Long Axles To Short
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 01:15:36 PM »
But if I use the narrowed IRS trailing arms would I not need shorter axles as well? And yes, fender clearance is what I'm after. The car is lowered 2 \"clicks\" in the front and stock in the rear. I want to bring it down a bit but the tires are already rubbing on the rear fender seals when I hit a good enough bump.  
67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline James Buchan

Long Axles To Short
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 01:17:26 PM »
rubbing on the rear fender seals when I hit a good enough bump.
at stock height???? what kind of rims/tires are you running? It sounds like you have something else wrong back there... maybe someting is broken/badly worn?

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
Long Axles To Short
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 01:42:05 PM »
But if I use the narrowed IRS trailing arms would I not need shorter axles as well? And yes, fender clearance is what I'm after. The car is lowered 2 "clicks" in the front and stock in the rear. I want to bring it down a bit but the tires are already rubbing on the rear fender seals when I hit a good enough bump.
No, Im pretty sure you will not need shorter cv axles as the modification is done more towards the bearing cap. Ive talked to Bruce about this before but my memory isnt like it was years ago. Im in the middle of the conversion with my Fiat. Ive got the short axles and now Im trying to get the bearing off behind the bearing cap. But its not coming off, even with much persuasion with a big #&*^%$ hammer!But it looks to me that Im still too long. So Im interested in other ideas as well. BRUCE!! Help!

Offline James Buchan

Long Axles To Short
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 02:04:32 PM »
looks to me that Im still too long

First time for everything huh  :P  

Offline red snapper

Long Axles To Short
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 03:07:23 PM »

First time for everything huh  :P
Funny guy you are James. Ya BALOONNOT!!!!

Offline HeliMike

Long Axles To Short
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 03:26:53 PM »
at stock height???? what kind of rims/tires are you running? It sounds like you have something else wrong back there... maybe someting is broken/badly worn?

Well it doesn't happen very often (I can't remember the last time)and I think the car MAY be lowered a little.
If I was to lower it any more it would defenitely hit on speed bumps. It's the outermost edge of the sidewall that hits. JUST barely enough for me to have noticed it last time I had it in the air (nice shiny paint where it rubbed). It could have also happened when I had another motor in the back (so 2 total) for the extra weight though.

Oh and yeah, the spring plate grommets are pretty much dusted so I'm replacing those at the same time.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 03:30:08 PM by Gutterslug »
67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline red snapper

Long Axles To Short
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 03:59:38 PM »
If your planning on changing your wheels you could go to one with a different offset. How much meat do you have on the back of your wheel? Sometimes you can machine it down a bit. Check first to make sure its safe. Good luck.

Offline HeliMike

Long Axles To Short
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 04:32:09 PM »
I've got 205/60's on 5.5\" generic chromies. I know those are cheap-ass wheels so I don't think I want to mess with machining them, they're just not worth it and I don't like 'em anyways. I plan on baggin' this thing before the summer so I would definitely have to go with a shorter axle or maybe a different wheel/tire combo. I guess I have some research to do about what hits and fits a type3. Maybe I'll look for a set of 2.0L Fuch's over the next few months.

Thanks for all of your input you guys   :rockon:

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 04:34:17 PM by Gutterslug »
67 Sunroof Beetle

Matt

Long Axles To Short
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 07:27:55 PM »
http://forums.airspeedparts.com/index.php?...=ST&f=24&t=3916

They're not fuchs, but they may work for ya, they have 195-60's on the back with no clearance issues.

Offline red snapper

Long Axles To Short
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005, 07:38:00 PM »
Im pretty sure the offset on Matts wheels would work for ya. You probably wouldnt have to go short axles.