Author Topic: Front Beam Going Through  (Read 2191 times)

Offline kirin

Front Beam Going Through
« on: January 28, 2004, 12:49:54 PM »
Hey guys.
I'm trying to get some stuff planned out in my head before I actually pull my front beam. Anyways..
I'm building up my \"dream\" beam. Basically a adjustable front beam and such.
What I'm doing right now is going to paint it if my por-15 ever arrives.. but seam seal where the welds seams are(Its been sandblasted..) Then start assembling it. Now I'm transferring some stuff over from my old beam to my new one. Things like the suspension arms and stuff and the steering box. Now my question of the day is... My steering box is tight. No play and the steering had virtually no problem but a bit of rubbing on the right hand side(That was a tie-rod issue anyway) of course my steering box is dirty as hell.. Now any tips on cleaning it up? Any seals to replace? Its dripping a bit of oil right now...
Pulling the front beam itself seems pretty striaght forword.
Pull the wheels, take off the drums dissassemble till I pull out the torsion leaves then unbolt the beam and not allow it to crush my legs...
-Kirin
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline Glenn

• http://www.glenn-ring.com
Front Beam Going Through
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 12:54:56 PM »
I did my beam 2 years ago and didn't open the box. Just use some safety klean or mineral spirits to cleam it up. I did it over a large turkey pan and used a few paint brushes that i cut cut the brissels down. The shorter brissles make it easier to get the stuborn dirt off.

For the beam makes sure you use plenty of Metal Ready to etch the beam. Otherwise the POR15 won't stick the the \"green\" metal.

Here's some pictures from when i did my beam. I hope it helps.

http://www.glenn-ring.com/resto/resto8.html
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 12:55:43 PM by Glenn »
Glenn

74 Beetle Specs web page
74 Beetle Resto web pages

\"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get\"

Offline James Buchan

Front Beam Going Through
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 01:06:07 PM »
If you do open the stearing box (which i did on mine) the gasket is not availible aftermarket (I believe) if you need on I kept my template let me know and I'll cut you one.
While I had mine open I cleaned it out and repacked it with new grease - don't know if it makes a diff or not but I thought I might as well while I'm there.