Author Topic: Steering Dampener Mount Strengthening  (Read 2077 times)

Offline kirin

Steering Dampener Mount Strengthening
« on: January 28, 2004, 12:40:03 PM »
Hey guys.
I have a new adjustable front beam. Along with some dropped spindles I should be able to have a pretty drastic drop if need be(I'm guestimating about 6 inchs maybe. And thats a ton of drop for a stock guy!:P At any rate.. Mr. Buchan pointed out to me that the nut welded to the bracket where the steering dampner is bolted to is only really attached on one side.. So I'm wondering. I'm definatly going to get a few more welds(Probably by yours truly after I move into my new shop) but how much stress is the steering dampner going to be under? The bracket that is. I'm going to be autocrossing/ putting my bug under high gforce loads well I hope I will.. so not Baja exact. Anyways so how much reinforcement would you put on this nut?
Cheers!
-Kirin Jacobsen
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline James Buchan

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 12:46:40 PM »
I just felt that the weld should be completed on the bare side of the nut. Right now it has only a small bead on it and it would only take a couple minutes to finish it up all nice and purdy. Might as well while the beam is bare.

Offline kirin

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 12:58:58 PM »
I'm completly for it James.
I'm not disagreeing I'm just interested in how much force does that thing really get given.. Its getting strengthening either way.
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline James Buchan

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 01:03:04 PM »
IC dunno then guess it depends on driving conditions/how many curbs/cars you hit... :)