Author Topic: Please Post Your Feedback  (Read 15896 times)

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Please Post Your Feedback
« on: August 22, 2005, 09:28:38 AM »
Welcome to the "Official GCVWS" forum room. We are looking for all your feedback to make this event the best it can be. Please post on all three days.  We want to hear all the GOOD or BAD that you feel we need to hear.

There will be more classes next year.
The great guys from the DDB made it clear to us that we need to bring back the T3 classes and that will be done for the 15th annual 2006 show.

Tell us what you would like to see, more engine blows? more prizes? more games? Larger show areas for cars? Just let us know and we will work to make this the best event around.

Photo's of all winners will be posted in the Gallery under GCVWS2006

Geoff Peterson
DVKK

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 10:51:21 AM »
--contact info questionaire should be given to all people entering in the show ,on the questionaire spectific contact info,name/car/fax/cell/e-mail etc can be gatherd that way you build a data base but more important people can be contacted to make sure they are aware of the date well in advance,this could help gain more cars back where attendance was low in certain category's.
--build in a give away to all entries as a incentive to enter show,ie shirt or something.
--engine blow should be a aircooled motor on a test stand.
--my daughter would love a old bug under a canopy to paint with water paint.kids love that one.
--beer garden :D
--make sure to keep it from being on the same date as the airshow.
--i know its a long shot as well as you've lookied into it ,have it all on one day at mission,show/games/drags
but not sure how attendace would be due to location /travel time.

also thanks again to all envolved i had a great time.just not sure why bruce did not want me in any photos.maybe my new hair cut wasn't as good as i thought
yours truley jim mOrtOn :lol:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 10:54:57 AM by jim martin »

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline Geoff

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 11:42:44 AM »
Good feedback Jim,
The engine blow is always a "other make" vehice for a reason. We would rather blow up a Fox, Hyundi, Buick or what ever because good aircooled engine cores are getting hard to find. We have toyed with building a stroker motor with everyones left over junk parts????  We will think that one over again. There is also a safety issue with the exposed engine blows. Plus the car is easy to clean up and tow away.

We have been working on a all day event at mission but that may still be a few years away.

I think the idea of the questionaire is really good, a great way to email everyone and get their feedback as well.

Thanks Jim, keep em coming!

Offline James Buchan

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 11:47:04 AM »
I think the whole day at Mission would be awsome but I couldn't imagine how much that would cost!

A bigger venue would definatly be a bonus or at the very least a larger show area. I noticed in the T1 area that the cars were so deep you couldn't get into see alot of them (the early morning arrivals).

Porta potties? It is a LONG hike to the can!

I didn't like the amount of pocket bikes/kids on skate boards flying around the cars - one slip and bamm there goes a paint job. Maybe a sign/announcement would prevent this.

MORE SHADE!!!

I thought the concession was pretty good this year - was it new ownership?

I also found that a number of people were unsure of times/locations etc... maybe an early canvassing of posters/flyers/advertising. As well as handouts to give people at the events so they have an itinerary.

As for the internal stuff we should get a group of the workers/organizers together to talk about that offline.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 11:51:20 AM by James Buchan »

Offline nivag

• Gavin Lee
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 01:12:15 PM »
I had a few people ask me why no Type 3 class, but had more people mention fewer classes was nice due to the awards not taking an hour like last year or like Seattle that had over kill amount of classes(I was told). Every year is a crap shoot as to how many in each class will show up. Not one notchback showed up and yet double the amount of verts surfaced, way fewr busses showed, but holy weree there a lot of early custom beetles... etc...

- 50/50 draw, we could build a sweep the floor stroker or 1914 and raffle that off. Half the money goes towards paying off the build cost and winner gets the other half. Someone might be pretty stoked to win a perf motor?

- Jims comment about the email database is great. We could email out a month before then each week leading up to and make sure no one forgets it's coming up.

- DGLVK bbq was a huge hit, lot's of people commented how much fun they had.

- had two people ask if we were selling dash plaques?

Gavin
DVKK
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 01:17:18 PM by nivag »

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 02:08:25 PM »
I like the dash plaque Idea,,, Old school...
I think next year we could order 2 porta potties and take them from the Bar B Q to the Show. I had alot of "wheres the washrooms" and then when I told thenm they were like ." are you Kidding"

More Salads next time for the Bar B Q. We thought there would be about 85 people and I think we were pushing 200

Classes are a crap shoot....I agree,  I think as far as games and entertainment, DVKK did a great job with that.  Also I like the new Idea we did with the "car for sale " row.

I like the 50/50 for an engine.. or maybe even a used car....

Maybe put the classes on the cars so the visitors voting know which box to tick.

I think we need to retire that Announcer :lol:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 02:09:21 PM by Pointblank »
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 02:49:25 PM »
Great show with great fun. I do think your venue is getting too small for your show. I like the three day event. Makes for an entire weekend of fun for the out of towners. Makes it more than worth the trip. Don't know if a single day would make me come down come hell or high water. I do agree that T3's should have their own class. but how do you know how your #'s look ahead of time for the more rare models.

Good job though to all the organizers. I guess my only ideas would be bigger venue, and keep it the three day thing. Need to do the poker run on the saturday though. That would be a hoot!

Thanks again all
J
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline steiner

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 04:24:44 PM »
The awards ceremonies take too long. A lot of people started leaving including myself. There was no mention of the awards even at three thirty.
Being out in the sun all day and getting up early really wears you out. Think about it anyway.
1964 21 bus

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 07:17:08 PM »
i dont know if the one day event at mission is such a good idea. that place is dirty, far away, sometimes hard to find, not really that pretty to look at. also, i think it would be to much for one day.

i kind of enjoy the 3 day bender. heck we should make it a 4 day bender and bring back the thursday night cruise at wally burgers.

coquitlam town centre park is so nice. lots of green space, the swap and the show are seperated from each other. water park for the kids. skate park. concession. lots of free parking. lots of grass. i think we all have to deal with the heat no matter where it is. 95% of the time it's frikkin hot in bc in august. i love it. bring on the heat.

attendance did seem to be up this year tho. if a new place needs to be found, i vote for a place that has the above mentioned attributes.

maybe there could be some other food vendors aswell. charge them big bucks to set up there cart, and they get the opportunity to sell there food to 3000+ people all day. popcorn, peanuts, falafels, jumbo smokies, icecream truck, salad bar....

i dont know about the beer gardens. kinda sounds like a heat score to me.

great parking of the cars/categories this year. it was perfect. all types perfectly placed.

bikini contest.  B)

more garbage cans/bottle recycling cans.

ban the baby-motorbikes. everytime i see one i get the urge to punt the bike and rider through the uprights.

the bulliboys and dglvk and any other clubs should get to park together, maybe somewhere on the grass, and should have banners and merch.

hmmm. all in all. great weekend. you know i love it.  ;)

Offline surgerypending

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 07:42:57 PM »
Have someone there giving out samples of sunscreen....ouch! :blush:  
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 09:14:37 PM »
First suggestion is too just keep up the good hard work at a FINE SHOW! In most cases it needs nothing!
But I always have something to suggest :P

post an itinerary on a notice board at a few key spots, so people know when the main events happen through the day

post classes prior to the day of show on a website, with description so that people have a better understanding and can decide prior

make sure the shirt designs contain some sort of date (14th annual, 2005) heard many discuss how dissappointed they were about that.

make a sign and post it at the entrance with fees, and setup a tent so the guy at the gate doesnt drop dead from exposure.

If possible, more activities at different locations throughout the show site, to try and move people through the show.

In regards to the amount of space used, I would suggest that we try to be a little more consistent with spacing and ways people park, in some cases water coolers were taking up enough space for 3 cars, and maybe if the show remains at the same venue I would suggest splitting the parking down the middle lengthwise, this would give better exposure to all cars by making everyone walk the distance. If people want to park in a spot that grants them a larger area for display then they pay a premium for it.

Thats it for now.....

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 09:18:47 PM »
Its cool that your dealing with the type 3 award right off the bat, ( i did not know you didn't have one but heard from guys in the swap.

The fifty-fifty/prizes I mixed up I went looking for where to buy the tickets for the prizes and was told there was someone around selling them, so when they came up and said tickets i thought it was for the prizes. Turns out it was the fifty fifty and you got the "yellow tickets" from the stand. My "opps" but later I heard I was not the only one? Might have been a missunderstanding there,

Besides that most poeple did not like the minibike up and down the swap area, all the people walking around with kids and trying to hear the loudspeaker over the bikes sucked, Alot of people at my stall were talking about that!

Very cool show really enjoyed it and good job getting a car for the engine blow Geoff at the last minute!!

1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Matt

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005, 10:28:24 PM »
Short of the Type 3 class issue I'm not sure it needs any changes. I bought a shirt for the first time in years, they look awesome this year!! I think the crew just needs to continue the effort and the show will be the Classic of the north. If it's not already.
How hard is it to say DGLVK though?

Offline Needles

• http://
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 11:34:52 PM »
Have someone there giving out samples of sunscreen....ouch! :blush:
Come on Jerry, ya have to get the wife to be to put it al of your whitey skin BEFORE you go outside :lol:  

Offline moni

• http://www.texturedimpressions.com
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 11:50:40 PM »
i kind of enjoy the 3 day bender. heck we should make it a 4 day bender...
silas, if i didn't know any better, i'd swear you were my long-lost twin. :lol:

after a night of much-needed sleep and a day of reflection, here's my two cents on the show:

kudos:
* show pre-registration at airspeed breakfast. definitely a smart move.

* plenty of games/events throughout the day. seemed like there was always something going on for peeps to watch. the grouped prizes (t-shirt and a mug, etc) were also good.

* treating the prairie cruizers with a special spot. it'd be nice to build up the VW love among fellow Canucks...

kvetches:
* heard that more than a few people were bummed about the fact there was no poker run saturday. if you find the poker run's getting old, try a TSD rally race, scavenger hunt or some type of quick event to give out-of-towners something to do in between breakfast and bbq. (although an airspeed customer appreciation brunch would help with the sleep deprivation weekend.)

* double the amount of XL- and XXL-sized show shirts; halve the amount of mediums and smalls. so many people were leaving the tent disappointed, and not handing y'all their money.

* it'd be nice to give something back to the folk who enter their cars, ie. grab bags, etc. i know costs are tight, but considering that their entry fees are the only admission that's charged, it'd be nice to kind of recognize their efforts.

* show communication needs work. by this, i'm agreeing with chris that posters outlining the day's schedule, pre-weekend information regarding classes, etc., needs to be done and shared with as many peeps as possible...

this is just my .02 cents. i'd still come even if you didn't change a thing.  :wub:  
Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down I know that's not true. Some smaller countries are neutral.

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 08:48:34 AM »
Kudos to you Geoff for wanting to hear feedback. Lots of clubs dont and that is why some of the shows are heading downhill fast. Obviously, the big one for me is to see Ghias and type 3's in a seperate class. You do have to keep the voting ballots  to a minimum though or people will just not fill them out. A engine giveaway is a great idea, as long as you dont lose too much money doing it.All in all it was a fun filled weekend and I thank everyone involved in putting it on. Brian.

Offline Geoff

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2005, 10:11:53 AM »
This is great feedback! Many of these things we have wanted to do over the years but as many of you know it's hard to get it all done on a volunteer basis. things went better this year as the DVKK guys all had jobs asigned to them in detail and the DGLVK came aboard to help as well making it much less stressful for all involved.

The sign boards with the days events WILL be at the 2006 show, Great idea!

We had many people tell us not to do the Poker run this year as it made people think the show was over. We will bring it back for 06, better than ever.

Port a pottie's are a great idea as well.

Grab bags were always a good idea but somewhat hard to do as some sponsors would forget to bring stuff and nobody wants a empty bag....like Charlie Brown.

We will do our best to make all these changes and more for the 2006 event.

Please keep all these great ideas flowing.

Should we bring back the live bands?

Offline Bruce

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2005, 10:32:22 AM »
Organizing and running this show requires a tremendous amount of work ahead of time by Geoff, Barry, et.al.  If you want more mini-events within the show, this means they have to take more time to arrange it.  Consider this when you ask for more.  Bring your own sunscreen.

I am opposed to a grab bag for registrants.  A grab bag adds cost, which ultimately causes the entrance fee to be higher.  The higher the fee, the less people that will register their cars.  Walking down the street towards the spectator parking, I saw no less than 3 nicely done SunBugs that should have been in the show.

I liked the no band this year.  This is a car show, where you would want to catch up with old friends you haven't seen for years that got out of VWs, or you would want to discuss some details on a car you like with the owner.  Bands interfere with that.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 10:39:27 AM by Bruce »

Offline Needles

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2005, 10:37:18 AM »

Should we bring back the live bands?
How 'bout a live DJ turning old school vinyl (new dance/old surf stuff)

How much does a rental of a Dunk Tank cost?? Hmmmm.....I can think of a few persons of interest that could generate some cash there.
They rent them up at the party rentals on North road.....
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 10:41:05 AM by Niedrig und Langsam »

Offline James Buchan

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2005, 11:06:09 AM »
I can think of a few persons of interest that could generate some cash there

You talkin' bout me mang?!?!?!!

I liked the live bands in the past - not all day but maybe a set or two. I just would hate for the extra "noise" to interfere with people's swapmeet time...

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2005, 11:31:50 AM »
I like the dunk tank idea. Probably pretty cheap entertainment for eveyone. I would like to see pointblank in the tank with some really cold water! :blink:  

Offline James Buchan

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2005, 11:36:57 AM »
I would rather see a "sponsorship" for people to get in the tank - have a list of people willing to go in - once enough money is collected under that person's name they go in the tank for a set amount of time. People that sponsor them get X amount of free throws. Every other throw costs X amount and anyone else wanting to have a throw pays X amount.

Offline Chris_C

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2005, 02:28:05 PM »
if you want more watercooled entrants i think a lot of work needs to be done on the classes.

the passat / audi class is a joke... especialy with that Audi TT in there. it had more in common with the New Beetles than anything.

IMO:

Passat / Audi PRE 1998
Passat / Audi POST 1998
Corrado
Scirocco
MK1
Mk2
Mk3
Mk4

also the people's choice has to be better organized.. it was pretty bad seeing some people running around with 15 ballots.. filling them all out  :angry:

Offline Geoff

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2005, 03:02:08 PM »
Chris_C,
It's funny you mention the ballot stuffing, It happens every year in the H20 classes but for some reason the few idiots who try and get it passed us just don't get it.
We get 5-6 ballots in the same poor chicken scratch with just one or two boxes filled out.
Thing's that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?
All of the fake ballots go into a special round ballot counter :P

We can't stop it all but we will do what we can to try and make it fair.
Maybe you or someone from the DOV would like to help organize the H20 section for next year? We would be happy to work with you and other's to see that the classes are fair and enough attention is given to the H20 area to keep the event growing.

"if you want more watercooled entrants i think a lot of work needs to be done on the classes. "

We agree but the problem is the length of the awards gets to be too much for some. It seems that once class is called they start to leave, then the next class and before you know it we have a line of cars trying to get out while the awards are on.

We do need to have more classes and keep everyone entertained at the same time, This one may be hard to resolve but we will do our best.

Keep all the good ideas coming.

Geoff.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 03:06:34 PM by Gkafer »

Offline Chris_C

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2005, 03:18:33 PM »
i would love to help out next year guys , but im trapped on an island  :P  

Offline Needles

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2005, 05:54:58 PM »

You talkin' bout me mang?!?!?!!

I liked the live bands in the past - not all day but maybe a set or two. I just would hate for the extra "noise" to interfere with people's swapmeet time...
true, I can seee all the 'SMACKTALK' people lining up dunk each other...... :lol:  ;)  

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2005, 06:16:27 PM »
Organizing and running this show requires a tremendous amount of work ahead of time by Geoff, Barry, et.al.  If you want more mini-events within the show, this means they have to take more time to arrange it.  Consider this when you ask for more.  Bring your own sunscreen.

I am opposed to a grab bag for registrants.  A grab bag adds cost, which ultimately causes the entrance fee to be higher.  The higher the fee, the less people that will register their cars.  Walking down the street towards the spectator parking, I saw no less than 3 nicely done SunBugs that should have been in the show.

I liked the no band this year.  This is a car show, where you would want to catch up with old friends you haven't seen for years that got out of VWs, or you would want to discuss some details on a car you like with the owner.  Bands interfere with that.
With the number of people involved with the show its very possible to do many of the things suggested such as little events through the show, stuff like having the pie eating contest at the far end of the vendor area, grab bags are easy, and of limited cost, simple things like stickers from vendors, posters/postcards for other events, doesnt have to be a new cam?! As vendors to step it up a bit. Courteney is always up for making more mix cd's if needed, You guys played the three I brought.....

Maybe you could contact the cancer foundation regarding the sun and skin cancer, talk to them about vendors who are friendly with them for getting donations of sunscreen etc....

A little thought can go a long way, all the ideas posted are good and I think that many can and will happen...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 06:19:32 PM by 1976BUS »

Offline Cheesetoast

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2005, 06:44:34 PM »
silas, if i didn't know any better, i'd swear you were my long-lost twin. :lol:

after a night of much-needed sleep and a day of reflection, here's my two cents on the show:

kudos:
* show pre-registration at airspeed breakfast. definitely a smart move.

* plenty of games/events throughout the day. seemed like there was always something going on for peeps to watch. the grouped prizes (t-shirt and a mug, etc) were also good.

* treating the prairie cruizers with a special spot. it'd be nice to build up the VW love among fellow Canucks...

kvetches:
* heard that more than a few people were bummed about the fact there was no poker run saturday. if you find the poker run's getting old, try a TSD rally race, scavenger hunt or some type of quick event to give out-of-towners something to do in between breakfast and bbq. (although an airspeed customer appreciation brunch would help with the sleep deprivation weekend.)

* double the amount of XL- and XXL-sized show shirts; halve the amount of mediums and smalls. so many people were leaving the tent disappointed, and not handing y'all their money.

* it'd be nice to give something back to the folk who enter their cars, ie. grab bags, etc. i know costs are tight, but considering that their entry fees are the only admission that's charged, it'd be nice to kind of recognize their efforts.

* show communication needs work. by this, i'm agreeing with chris that posters outlining the day's schedule, pre-weekend information regarding classes, etc., needs to be done and shared with as many peeps as possible...

this is just my .02 cents. i'd still come even if you didn't change a thing.  :wub:
double the amount of XL- and XXL-sized show shirts; halve the amount of mediums and smalls. so many people were leaving the tent disappointed, and not handing y'all their money.

i beleive mediums sold out too, i would like to see more mediums, i didn't even think of buying one til halfway through the day and found they were sold out.

-Seperate Scirocco/Coraddo Categories (name a year when a scircco has won anything)

Offline Cheesetoast

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2005, 06:50:03 PM »
i can help out with the h20 categories/organization if you need me to.

Offline 007jetta

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2005, 11:08:04 AM »
Personally i thought GCVW was great, a HUGE thumbs up to everyone that made it happen. It's hard putting together somthing of this size and trust me i know how much work it takes. You can't please everyone and i think most of the bitchin comes from the watercooled guys and being a 03 jetta driver i can kinda understand abit of it.

First off the Peoples choice has to say.........someone has to give the ppl the a voice in it and it's about one of the last shows that does this. I just think that maybe next year you could round up a few judges and make the guys pay extra if they want to put their car in a judged event, that way it covers the extra cost of the awards and stuff. It's about the only way i could see that working.

Second thing would be to spread out the cars abit more, i loved looking at all the older aircooled rides, but they were sooo packed together, i did'nt want to try and walk around too many of them. Plus they are the ones that got the GCVW off the ground and should have the space they deserve.  

Third would be the third parking lot..........yah the one that guys thought was for parking their trailers and some ppl that thought it was cool to tape off 5 parking stalls for friends and stuff????? It would be nice to maybe set up the third parking lot for the watercooled guys, i just think that it's a great lot and could soooo be used in a better way then a parking lot for trailers. Plus if you do that then when it comes to the awards.............you could also have someone handing out awards on the air & watercooled sides. Just kinda speeds things up.

And lastly...................T-shirts!!! Yah need more. hehe. If you guys have any left please let me know, i soooooo wanna support the GCVW show but it was my bad to wait till i was about to leave and they were all gone.

On a final note i'd be willing to help out with the watercooled cars next year if things were to change with the location of the watercooled cars, i mean if you used the third lot for them and even charged a small parking fee just so guys could have some place to park the nicer rides for display. Well in anycase the show was GREAT and a major huge thumbs up to all that made it happen!! And if any shirts in large are still around, give me a email.