Author Topic: Problem with new interior panels  (Read 1394 times)

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Problem with new interior panels
« on: August 31, 2021, 06:52:33 PM »
What do people do with the crappy panels that you get from TMI or CIP1? The panels are made of cheap fibre board and the clips can cause damage to the holes especially if you have to remove a panel for alignment. Even moving the clip around damages the board. Is there a plastic washer that can be glued on? If they won't use hardboard,
how about a grommet???
9 years and counting....

Offline pittwagen

Re: Problem with new interior panels
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 07:33:33 PM »
You are using the rubber plugs that fit in the door holes that the metal clip fits into right?  I don't know what that backing board is made of.  Have not seen that before.  What type of tool are you using to remove the panel if you have to adjust it?  Something fairly wide I hope.

If they don't fit tell CIP you want your money back.  Then see what Wolfsburg West has or Bus Depot.  As you know the shipping cost from Bus Depot is out of this world.  If you decide on one or the other I would ask what the backing board is made of and could they send you a pic.

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 12:24:26 PM »
Well here I am responding to my own post.  Looks like WW and Bus Depot have TMI.  Sewfine seems to have the higher quality product. 

Seen this thread?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=748401&highlight=tmi+door+panels

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 01:58:58 PM »
I got them from TMi, but they are the same from CIP. They buy from TMI. I will give Sew Fine a call. I paid big time for what I have so not replacing all of it. Going to try and find a thin plastic washer that I can glue on. I am using the rubber plugs and the clips.
9 years and counting....

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 02:13:34 PM »
Called Sew Fine. They use 1/8" masonite for their backing panels. WAY BETTER! Hard as nails. Also, the thinner panel (TMI is more like 3/16") makes the clips fit better. I have a problem with bottoming out the clips so they hold. Unfortunatly, their vinyl is not the same as TMI, so I would have to replace all the panels. Crap.
9 years and counting....

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 05:44:12 PM »
Here is what I would do.  If the vinyl is foam backed, I would peal back the problem hole areas and insert a piece of 20 gauge metal with the appropriate sized hole on the back (closest to the vinyl) side of the panel.  Could be a 1" square piece of metal with a round hole or a round metal piece that would be washer shaped.  You could even glue it in place and re-glue the vinyl. 

Failing that glue the washer in the shape of your choice on the back side but maybe make it somewhat larger, say 1/1/4" square or round.  Put the door panel on a flat surface and lightly hammer the door panel flat as best as you can making sure not to damage the vinyl on the other side.

Cdn. Tire or  Home Depot should have the metal.  Maybe even stainless.  Or you could paint your washers to prevent rust.

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 12:30:00 PM »
I'm thinking there will be a problem with the thickness of the panel after gluing on the washer (which would be my choice). The panel is already too thick so I have to widen the clip. I think I can chisel out a bit of the panel to accommodate the washer. I wish I was made of money. I would throw this crap in the garbage and buy new.
9 years and counting....

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 06:30:41 PM »
I seldom use the rubber plugs. It makes installation so much easier. A little silicon on the rubber makes it a lot easier too.