Author Topic: Solving The Cable Woe's?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline HeliMike

Solving The Cable Woe's?
« on: August 13, 2004, 01:14:50 PM »
Just wondering what you all use for solving the constant problems of breaking cables?
I can't remember how many times I replaced my throttle cable and clutch cable in the cars I've had but it's been LOTS!
The throttle wass due to the good-old crappy dual-Kadron linkage but the clutch cable? I had a stock pressure plate.
I will HOPEFULLY be driving another AC'd car soon and was just wondering how to keep it drivable all the time or at least most of the time.

Any suggestions?
67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline splitwindowman

Solving The Cable Woe's?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 02:45:49 PM »
When I was a kid, I use to break clutch cables all the time. A VW mechanic told me what I was doing wrong. When I installed a new cable and started adjusting the wing nut, I'd just keep turning the nut until I had the correct amount of pedal play. What I didn't realize was that the cable itself was turning with the wing nut. This cause a lot of strain on the cable as it wound it up and it would eventually break. Now I always put a set of needle nose vise grips on the cable just before the threaded end to hold it still and then start making my adjustment. I haven't broken a cable since and that learning lesson was around 20 years ago.
Jason.