Author Topic: Sauerkraut  (Read 8252 times)

Offline Jerome

Sauerkraut
« on: July 28, 2010, 10:55:34 PM »
Hello all airheads, dubbers, and VW obsessed weird-o's!
        Approx eight years ago I purchased a relatively solid '57 Canadian standard locally with the intent of holding it until the time came to rebuild it.... well about 4 weeks ago I found myself purchasing some OG parts I was missing and sending some metal off to the blasters... then realized.... It has begun.

The dream
I'm not really much of one to go on and on and on about every little detail, but thought it would be good to document what I am doing and share it with whoever is interested. The basic theme I have in mind for the Kraut can is "simple is better". I will keep it looking basically stock with some modern updates to make it "daily drivable". Mango Green? Black with red two-tone? original blue?- not sure on colour yet, wide five disc kit, orig steel wheels with white walls, airbags, a strong 150-180hp engine, stock interior, etc. Not too hard, not too soft, but just right. Everyone may not like it but then again, Sauerkraut isn't for everyone.

Pictures will be posted as I go along and figure out how this forum operates...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:05:32 PM by Jerome »
Sucks to your assmar.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Re: Sauerkraut
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:41:30 PM »
right on jerome...looks like a solid base to start with...gotta love an oval!!

good luck, keep us posted, and be sure to check out the great canadian vw show weekend festivities. you may get some added inspiration/ideas and pick up some needed parts for zee kraut!

http://www.gcvws.com/events.html

Offline Jerome

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 09:50:20 PM »
Just picked up the fenders and engine lid today from the blasters. I had them walnut blasted and it seems to work really well. Didn't warp, but took all the paint of..... The guys told me it would take 2 or 3 days to get to them..... 4 phone calls and 4 weeks later  >:( but they didn't screw them up so it all worked out.
Here are some better pics of the kraut can. Pretty clean where it matters. I think I will be able to salvage the rockers, but who really knows until it gets blasted.

Jerome
Sucks to your assmar.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 09:52:07 PM »
great lookin car!

Offline Jerome

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 09:34:28 PM »
Just an update while I have time...

During the week of Sept 10th my wife and I took a holiday in Whistler for a few days. While there I took a look at an engine advertised on CL. You all probably saw it. It was the 2180 cc engine with very little description. It turns out it was built by Tony Hill about 10 yrs ago ( which I am beginning to not believe as I am told he retired 15 yrs ago). It swallowed a screw and subsequently cracked a piston and jug. It needs new pistons and jugs, tin etc, but the top end is good as far as I can tell. I think a Jeff @ airspeed??? re surfaced the heads some five years ago for the guy who had it then.... Its has significant work done to the case to get that huge crank in there and balanced etc. The guy who was selling it couldn't give me anymore specifics, but I thought it was a bit much at $800 for an engine that has no history or any known specs other than 2180cc and 1:1.5 rockers. I made the guy a low offer and took it home in the back of my RAV4!! The bottom end looks to be perfect and should just need pistons, jugs, carbs and tin. Hopefully there is no hidden gremlins in it. Should pull like crazy if it all comes together right. Im now trying to contact Tony as I was told he ran it in his own van or transporter till it swallowed the screw. Supposedly he towed his race cars with this engine. It would be really nice to know what exactly has been done to it.

I have also been able to do some metal work on the fenders and hope to get them in primer in the coming months.

Not much of an update but here it is anyway.

( just a note to anyone with 36HP tin in the Okanagan area they would like to get rid of, please send me a note )
Sucks to your assmar.

Offline Jerome

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 08:26:48 PM »
I'm still picking away at it slowly... Over the last weeks worth of lunch hours I have managed to: epoxy, fill, prime, and re-prime the engine lid! Today I had a few hours at the end of the day with nothing to do so I chose a colour!!! and painted it!! Slow and steady wis the race. Sunday should bring me a porsche fan conversion from Lanny c/o Schvengy You_Rock_Emoticon. Although I'm just doing little bits at a time its good to see some progress. anyway here are a few pics of the lid in L271 - Texas Brown. Incorrect for my specific year but correct for Oval.

This colour will look killer with chrome and an ivory interior     ** drool **
Sucks to your assmar.

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 10:39:54 PM »
Beautiful color choice!  I'm looking forward to more progress pictures.  Keep up the good work!

Offline mizovalgrl

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 11:01:54 PM »
That's going to look very rich with the ivory .... A classic color you have selected.

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 12:13:19 AM »
Well here's its brother from about 25 years ago - 57 Canadian Standard sunroof.  Gotta love that Horizon Blue!!  Sold it to a guy in Surrey in the late 80's.  Never saw it again. 

Keep the updates coming.

Offline Geoff

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 10:53:36 AM »
Nice choice!
 :D

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 10:39:32 PM »
Solid looking car. Good start. PDT_Armataz_01_37
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline Jerome

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 08:42:59 PM »
Glass blasted the fan kit today I am pretty sure is has spent many years outside or possibly been in a fire :(. The corrosion turned into giant pitting. Its pretty bad. Its gonna take alot to make it look nice.
Before

After
Sucks to your assmar.

Offline Geoff

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 08:32:16 AM »
They all look like that, I spent countless hours sanding mine smooth. Ask Gary aka G-dog how much he enjoyed cleaning his lol_hitting

Offline Bruce

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 11:58:46 AM »
You should see the ones used on race cars where the top of the engine isn't sealed well from the underside.  Little rocks get sucked up, then the blades hit the rocks, sending them into the ring.  They're the worst!

Yours is actually pretty good.

Offline el_flechador

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 02:04:08 PM »
I love the colour choice, considered it for my own project, but went a different direction. I concur about the fan, yours  doesnt actually look that Bad compared to many i have seen.