Author Topic: 58 Kombi  (Read 5084 times)

Crank

58 Kombi
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:37:15 AM »
Here is the new bus I picked up about a month ago. I had been watching this bus for a few years, and it seemed it never moved. I was insured for a year, still never moved. When I saw a 4sale sign in the window... I pounced. I found this locally and is the second quality VW found in the Ocean Park area. This one however is a keeper.

Virtually rust free (couple of pinholes here and there) brought up from Arizona in 2003, Inspected 2005, 1600DP, IRS beetle trans conversion, walkthrough, Campmobile70 setup, drop spindels, adj.beam, 4inch narrowed, adj. rear spring plates, tubbed, front wide5 discs and rear type3 brakes.

I've gone over all the mechanical and she passed aircare, drips no oil, has decent heat, drives and rides great! I'm sure you'll see it around as it's my daily driver now.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:15:38 AM by Crank »

Offline kafer_kid86

• http://streetfire.net
Re: 61 Kombi - daily driver
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 04:37:32 PM »
........jealous
Jeff Pedersen

\"the other jeff pedersen\"

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 07:40:01 PM »
Nice score!!

Offline Randy

• Formerly Tikitime
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 07:43:47 PM »
Looks great!
I like the racing stripe upholstery.

Offline orangecrush

• Rob McLatchy
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 08:24:07 PM »
Nice daily driver  ;D
1957 dune buggy
2002 beetle
Sunset Buggy Club

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 10:06:27 PM »
Clean looking ride. Looks solid. I like.  O0
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline Darren Dilley

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 06:53:24 AM »
wow nice bus...
life without racing..is no life at all

Crank

Re: 58 Kombi
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
Thanks all.

I'm absolutely lovin' it.
I had to do a quite abit of work to make it road worthy, rewire it, replace tie rods, exhaust, retorque the heads and replace oil seals etc.
Most everything was loose or not adjusted properly, missing cotterpins :o and so on.
But it's running and driving great now. As I drive it this winter, I'll continue to pick away at it and keep posting pics.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:16:29 AM by Crank »

Crank

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 12:48:37 AM »
Update:

I've done a fair amount of work on the bus since October so here's the latest pics. This is also my first time doing all the welding and painting by myself without someone watching over me so please let me know what you think.

Restored rear pop outs
Restored headlight buckets
Repaired and painted front end
Repaired holes in drivers side
Installed Driving light
Installed reverse light
reindexed rear torsion splines
Replaced rear hatch and engine lid seals
Fixed emergency brake
Installed Shift kit and shift rod bushings

On the engine:
Installed LanD power pulley
Installed rebuilt dual Weber 34 ICT's and Scat linkage
Installed stock ceramic coated 40hp Exhaust
Rebuilt distributor

Interior:
Fixed and primered luggage area
Por15 and Primered OG cargo floor
Installed stereo under the parcel tray
Removed racing stripe upholstery
Installing sound proofing
and am currently working on the interior.

I still have a few things to fix/adjust and am still in need of some metal bits. So if someone is cutting up a bus...  :P
I am also in need of a set of pressed bumpers which are correct for this bus, I may need to buy Gerson repops.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:17:05 AM by Crank »

Offline jefftrish

Re: 58 Kombi - daily driver
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 03:38:48 AM »
Nice work Crank, I hope to see it in person soon :)
Best regards, Jeff

Crank

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 04:55:31 PM »
New update.

I've been hunting and gathering for the last few months while I heal from a neck/back injury so I haven't been able top do much actual work but, I did manage to find this set of correct bumpers and splash pans.
The front has a minor tweak/bend in it, but easy enough to fix. They look to be original with the welding in the correct spots as far as I can tell. Can anyone see something not correct that I am missing?

Later this week I should have front and rear brackets from gerson and a completely correct set of mounting hardware, including rubber bushings ect. I'll post pics of these when they arrive.

Crank

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 10:48:24 PM »
I finally have the front and rear pressed bumper brackets I purchased from Gerson. They took a total of 5 days to arrive from Columbia, and I didn't have to pay duty for them. :D
Cheaper and easier to find that OG ones, less work to prep them too. They look absolutely amazing.

I also found the last few pieces of hardware I needed to mount them, I believe it to be 100% correct.

I picked up some paint today, and tomorrow I will probably be prepping and shooting primer on the mounts and hardware. I'll see if I have time to do the bumpers tomorrow as well.
Otherwise I'll wait until I paint the set of 58 crows rims I was able to put together from a few different sources. I'll get some before and after pics of those also.

More to come!

Crank

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 11:58:18 PM »
Today I prepped and painted the bumper brackets (front & rear) and all of the hardware and I think everything turned out pretty damn good.

I used etching primer and then L82 silver white on the brackets, bolts and special spacers. I left the washers and nuts in eching primer for now.
Once I assemble and respray the bumpers they may get some paint too.

Next I prep the bumpers.

Crank

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 10:23:26 PM »
I finally got around to installing my pressed bumpers.
Pretty good fit. I'll need to work the front one a bit as it has a small split on the top and bottom lip, but again nothing too serious.

I'll paint them too when I paint my crows. Sandblasting them this weekend.
Here's a couple of pics.  :P

Offline OUTKAST

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 09:00:14 PM »
Looking good gotta love them pressed bumper buses  PDT_Armataz_01_37

Crank

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 04:23:35 PM »
Added a few pics:

Painted the crows, went with paint until I can find 2 more 58 crows that have no pitting.
Wrapped in Continental tires all around.
replaced all clips with the ones that Gerson carries. These are the first clips I have used that don't break as soon as you pull a hubcap back off.

Did a little work on the front bumper... still not perfect, but I'm not ready for paint obviously. Bent up a front licenseplate bracket.

Currently working on the last few interior roof panels and upholstery, and welding in the engine lid prop mount.
Then I;ll put her back on the road!  :P